FAQ - Guages

Every car has an electrical system. Here's the place to learn all about it.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

scott the viking wrote:Okay...this is what I personally have done...it may be a bit on the "extreme" side for some. I have your normal (and some not so normal) set of gauges. Then on the tack I set up a couple light to make me pay attention. The shift light is obviously not needed in your average rig...but the extra bright alternator light is a good idea because it tells you if you have stopped charging...Also see...your belt fell off...And, the oil light comes on at 10 psi. That will probably do nothing aside from tell you to shut down before ANYMORE damage happens. To me...light are no replacement for gauges...but they will bring my attention to the real gauges..should one light up.
Image
You have some needle guages below the tach... What guages did you select?
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Thanks guys... this link is now being added to the Hall of fame... will be cataloging in a bit...
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

I had one of these and still have some digital stuff (left hand corner). There where a few thing that I did not like about mine...Bob's may be better/newer. When the sun was behind me (really bright) I could not see what it said...and it was lagging on what my rpm was. Would work really good for a boat I am sure...I.E....If you blip the throttle on my rail (not rev) just a quick stab, it hits like 7,500 rpm. The digital did not even register this until the engine was back to idle again. But as far as the other things...it was really cool knowing where some of the main things were at a glance.
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

Tim $399 your money senders extra
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

MNAirHead wrote:
scott the viking wrote:Okay...this is what I personally have done...it may be a bit on the "extreme" side for some. I have your normal (and some not so normal) set of gauges. Then on the tack I set up a couple light to make me pay attention. The shift light is obviously not needed in your average rig...but the extra bright alternator light is a good idea because it tells you if you have stopped charging...Also see...your belt fell off...And, the oil light comes on at 10 psi. That will probably do nothing aside from tell you to shut down before ANYMORE damage happens. To me...light are no replacement for gauges...but they will bring my attention to the real gauges..should one light up.
Image
You have some needle guages below the tach... What guages did you select?
Oil temp,
Oil pressure
cylinder head temp.
Turbo boost/ vacuum
Nitrous pressure
Fuel pressure
Volt meter
the big square box to the side measures all kinds of things...but I mostly use it for EGT (exhaust gas temperature).
And I got an hour meter that is not pictured.
AAAAND....the two knobs...one adjusts timing advance/retard and the other is adjustable boost retard. So I can adjust the timing to retard One..two or three degrees of ign timing for every pound of boost my turbo builds.
2088 bob
Moderator
Posts: 897
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2002 12:01 am

Post by 2088 bob »

scott you are right about digital tach being a little slow to react,but the bar graph tach above it reacts just as fast as any analog gauge if not faster ,the sun in your back is no longer a problem larry kramer the guy that owns intellidash has that sorted out i like it because it takes up less real estate on my dash it also has a bunch of alarms ,rev limiters etc. i realize it may not suit everyone but it fills the bill for me
steve0we
Posts: 17
Joined: Sun Nov 05, 2006 7:12 pm

Post by steve0we »

what temp is safe for oil temp? I was going to order guages, but didnt know what range to order. What temps are BAD???
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

Between 180 and 220 is pretty normal temp...250 is too hot...and 240 is alright for a short time if you have been pushing it...but needs to come down.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Is it better to monitor head temp or oil temp??? or doesn't it matter.
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

I feel that both are pretty important on a high performance aircooled. As far as your run of the mill engine is concerned...I would say oil temp would be more important.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

scott the viking wrote:I feel that both are pretty important on a high performance aircooled. As far as your run of the mill engine is concerned...I would say oil temp would be more important.
I know the correct method is to tap into the case for a sender.... do the oil plugs work and are they worth while?
User avatar
scott the viking
Posts: 3864
Joined: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:35 am

Post by scott the viking »

As long as it has oil going by it...then it's fine...I have mine stuck in the oil feed line to the turbo...so it goes by it all the time. I really figure you could do like an auto tranny temp gauge and just stick it in a line somewhere close the the engine.
User avatar
MNAirHead
Posts: 9570
Joined: Mon Sep 08, 2003 6:12 am

Post by MNAirHead »

Next questions..

Volts or Amps.. for the electrical and why?
User avatar
takotruckin
Posts: 3774
Joined: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:40 pm

Post by takotruckin »

volts, ampmeter can leave your car disabled if it fails
Post Reply