*Update* turbotype4

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Update

The front rotor didn't work as I thought.. back to the drawingboard :(

But the back rotor saab 9-3 worked great, the porsche 924 hub dropped right in :shock:
Image

The hole in the middle is to small though.. I had to take a mock up shot (nothing sits right and the hub has weird offset)
Image

It is nice and big, 286mm, here on top of the stock bug rotor (front) :twisted:
Image

I will use a machined down braking drum as a hub!

This conversion is pretty straight forward and cheap!

- One machined drum
- One rotor $29
- One caliper $70

per side 8)
User avatar
Unkl Ian
Posts: 872
Joined: Sat May 25, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Unkl Ian »

924 brakes no good ?
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Unkl Ian wrote:924 brakes no good ?
I don't like the e-brake inside the drum, expensive parts, etc ;)

I'm a cheap ass!! (what happend to don?! :? )
Passatman
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Passatman »

Hey jonas my friend found this the other day. Since you guys are turboing your cars. Please take a look at this site.

http://www.034motorsport.com/product_in ... ucts_id=38
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

Whew... The price on that EFI is... amazing :twisted:

I think I'd rather cough up for a full VEMS V3 setup with dual WB controllers for ~half the price.
(Or MS2 for ~1/4 the price, prebuilt, with harness, including an Innovate LC-1 to tackle WBO2)

Other than being sequential (useless/impossible over 3000 RPM) their website doesn't provide enough info/features to justify their price.

Can it deal with MAF sensors like MS2, or work in several modes? (no, speed-density only)
Include WBO2? (No)
Map size? (doesn't say)
other unique features? (nothing)

Closed (proprietary) hardware and software. I personally see nothing interesting there, just overpriced vendor lock-in.

Jonas, how does the emergency brake setup look on your new setup?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Passatman wrote:Hey jonas my friend found this the other day. Since you guys are turboing your cars. Please take a look at this site.

http://www.034motorsport.com/product_in ... ucts_id=38
I think that is the same ECU that redline efi is using, I really don't want to pay that kind of money when MS is around 8)
Piledriver wrote:Jonas, how does the emergency brake setup look on your new setup?
I don't have a picture of the caliper but the e-brake wire runs direct to the caliper and uses the same braking pad! All I need to fabricate is a mount for the caliper 8)
Passatman
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Passatman »

I couldn't agree more with you and pile jonas. I only wanted to show you guys this just to see what your thoughs are. My friend that has a water cooled golf says that MS isn't all that and you would have to keep buying boards to add new features to MS.


Jonas secondly i have a irs backend chassis but i don't know how to take off the spring plates, the chassis is off the car. Can you assist me with any solution.
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

Passatman wrote:I couldn't agree more with you and pile jonas. I only wanted to show you guys this just to see what your thoughs are. My friend that has a water cooled golf says that MS isn't all that and you would have to keep buying boards to add new features to MS.
:lol:

Buying boards? I guess he never heard of MSNSpark/extra etc. Almost a reason to buy MS1 boards, due to the available optional configurations/SW support...

For most uses MS1 is far more than enough, map being only 8x8 is the main limitation, along with somewhat limited resolution, but with interpolation and being able to set the bins up wherever you need them most... Not a huge deal for most apps.

...As opposed to having a fixed, limited feature set in the unmodifiable, undocumented hardware, paying for "new features" via firmware updates and unlocking existing features, and effectively NOT being able to sell it, as only units bought from "registered distributors" qualify for support, unless someone takes pity on you?

Still haven't seen any useful features in that setup that aren't in MS or especially VEMS, and it has several missing ones, based on the available info. Your buddy has been smoking the stuff the marketing dept hands out again.

Buy that, you are stuck with it.
******************

You'll need a "come along" or such to lift the spring plate off the stop on a bare chassis as there isn't enough weight to jack it up, take off the spring plate cover, and pry the spring plate out and over the stop, then (slowly) release. Should come apart at that point, more or less.
Last edited by Piledriver on Thu Oct 04, 2007 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Yes, the same as the svingaxel! Just use something to bend it out.. watch your knees, fingers, etc.. don't have them under the springplate and you are fine ;)
Passatman
Posts: 1040
Joined: Mon Apr 08, 2002 1:01 am

Post by Passatman »

Thanks guys
User avatar
Tony Z
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2000 12:01 am

Post by Tony Z »

are you ever going to finish this project??/?
type3
Posts: 853
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:01 am

Post by type3 »

Tony Z wrote:are you ever going to finish this project??/?
You should know that these things are never truly finished... :lol:
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

Jonas, what's the bolt spacing on those 9-3 rear calipers?

Know the piston size?

(considering swapping rear calipers on the 914, looks like a good way to get the parking brake back)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Tony Z wrote:are you ever going to finish this project??/?
Well, I don't know really, I do a little now, a little then.. this is my hobby :)
type3 wrote:
Tony Z wrote:are you ever going to finish this project??/?
You should know that these things are never truly finished... :lol:
Well, I could at least have something that is truly started :lol:
Piledriver wrote:Jonas, what's the bolt spacing on those 9-3 rear calipers?

Know the piston size?

(considering swapping rear calipers on the 914, looks like a good way to get the parking brake back)
boltspacing is 5x110, don't know the calipersize, sorry :/
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

I was thinking more of the spacing of the caliper bolts.
(if they would just ~swap on a 914 like some BMWs/Volvos)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Post Reply