*Update* turbotype4

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
User avatar
Type 4 Unleashed
Moderator
Posts: 2203
Joined: Tue Nov 08, 2005 10:43 pm

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

jonas_linder wrote:This is a crosspost with this thread : http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic.php?p=746108

Got my heads half done via my friend last night :D

They are still rough and the final port work isn't done!

Got new JM-7 heads in them with one full radius and one 45 degree cut on them.

We where down at JPM (www.jpmotorsport.se) for their dynoday and I get them flowed.

Please give me your thought on this.

The flowfigures are cfm at 25"

lift -- intake -- exhaust -- i/e-ratio
2mm -- 40.1 -- 39.1 -- 97%
4mm -- 78,7 -- 61,4 -- 78%
6mm -- 110,8 -- 83,5 -- 75%
8mm -- 143,6 -- 103,7 -- 72%
10mm -- 167,9 -- 119,7 -- 71%
12mm -- 180,3 -- 132,7 -- 74%
14mm -- 190,4 -- 140,6 -- 74%
16mm -- 196,4 -- 146,6 -- 75%

Some pictures on the head

Image
Image
Image

Let me know if you want pictures in any other angle ;)
Hey Jonas, here's the link to where I borrowed your flow #'s for comparison:

http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewtopic ... 052#754052

Thanks
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
User avatar
func412
Posts: 506
Joined: Sun Apr 03, 2005 10:55 am

Post by func412 »

Jonas, you seem to have the bottom cooling fins welded together from exhaust side. Did you do it also to spark plug side? Or did I just look wrong?

I am also thinking to cool the engine from under the cylinders (like klaus system is), have you thought about that?
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Richard >> I guess I should be pretty satisfied with the numbers then?!

func412>> That is correct, welded on both sides ;) No I haven't thought of cooling from the underside..
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Small update

I've now sold my header and megasquirt.. :?
User avatar
Piledriver
Moderator
Posts: 22879
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2002 12:01 am

Post by Piledriver »

jonas_linder wrote:Small update

I've now sold my header and megasquirt.. :?


:shock:

Going VEMS?
Doing something in SS?

Buying a one-way ticket to Brazil because the snow made you snap?
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Piledriver wrote:
jonas_linder wrote:Small update

I've now sold my header and megasquirt.. :?


:shock:

Going VEMS?
Doing something in SS?

Buying a one-way ticket to Brazil because the snow made you snap?
No snow here... yet

No Brazil, no VEMS and no SS :roll:

edit. BTW the subaru gearbox could not be used
User avatar
MattKab
Posts: 790
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2002 12:01 am

Post by MattKab »

Hi Jonas, let me guess, you want to build another turbo header? :shock:

8) Nice 1 to Jonas N for the mag feature.

Race bug looks exciting!

Matt
1979 Karmann Beetle with 1.8ti T4 (still pastel yellow)
1970 411 Variant (black) daily driver
1964 lil' window Beetle (soon to be black)
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

MattKab wrote:Hi Jonas, let me guess, you want to build another turbo header? :shock:

8) Nice 1 to Jonas N for the mag feature.

Race bug looks exciting!

Matt
Yes, because of the new turbo being twinentry I need to have equal length header to use it all out! And I want to have the turbon in another place ;)

The race bug is sure fun :)

Here is a thread about it.. it is in swedish but you can see the pictures ;)

http://www.zatzy.com/showthread.php?t=269332
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Update:D

Today I made my self a collector for the new header... in paper :lol:

The real thing will look something like this ;)

It was really hard getting the pipes round.. but you get the idéa ;)

Image

Image

Image
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Haven't got any work done but I have picked up a pair of seats I bought a while ago!

This is what they look like on the pan (crappy picture :( )

Image
User avatar
Ephry73
Posts: 3369
Joined: Fri Mar 02, 2001 12:01 am

Post by Ephry73 »

I cannot wait to see more of the updates.


Thanks a million man.


E
User avatar
Angelo Amato
Posts: 137
Joined: Sat Feb 24, 2001 12:01 am

Thread of the decade !

Post by Angelo Amato »

I've been locked in my garage too long and just discovered this thread !

been doing my fastback nut'n'bolt resto.

excellent work. I have just read ALLL of the 33 pages in one go! YAWN must go to bed now ! :oops:

Angelo UK


crocteau wrote:Because there is more news and better coverage, now I read this thread before the local paper! 8)
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Re: Thread of the decade !

Post by jonas_linder »

Angelo Amato wrote:I've been locked in my garage too long and just discovered this thread !

been doing my fastback nut'n'bolt resto.

excellent work. I have just read ALLL of the 33 pages in one go! YAWN must go to bed now ! :oops:

Angelo UK


crocteau wrote:Because there is more news and better coverage, now I read this thread before the local paper! 8)
Hehe, I hope you had fun :)

small update

The electrician came by the garage today while I was there.. I did a temporarly connection for the light, so now I got light in the garage :)
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Update

A while ago I bought my self a used TIG welder. Today I tried it out :D

This is the result for today 8)

Image

A little contact with the electrode a couple of times.. but a bit of practice and this should be really nice :)

Btw, this was the first time I have ever tried TIG welding (no previous attempt at gas either!)
User avatar
metzger
Posts: 87
Joined: Sat Mar 27, 2004 6:18 am

Post by metzger »

Looking good Mr :D
Post Reply