*Update* turbotype4

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Thanks eddie! :)

Tony > I got uprated calipers in the front.. the rearbrakes has to do for now.. we will see what happens this winter ;)
User avatar
Tony Z
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2000 12:01 am

Post by Tony Z »

All I can say is that there is no similarity at all between the stock brakes and all-round discs. You guys use Volvo parts, we use Golf.... all the same in the end.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Tony Z wrote:All I can say is that there is no similarity at all between the stock brakes and all-round discs. You guys use Volvo parts, we use Golf.... all the same in the end.
Yes, I know.. drum works.. for a while.. then they fade.. and you have to slow down :oops:

Well.. it's winter soon!
User avatar
Tony Z
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2000 12:01 am

Post by Tony Z »

still have to laugh at the fond memories of 4 drums, each with different stopping capabilities. Keeps you awake and well tuned to your immediate environment
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Don't miss the last update on the previous page :wink:

Update

Here is some pictures from yesterdays work!

Started the left intake and the center piece!
Image

Testmounted the IC, alot of room under it!
Image

It doesn't stick out far either!
Image

Testmount of the hood!
Image

The IC will have nice fresh air coming from the top 8) I will make some tin that force the air through the IC and out through the vents in the hood!
Image

A better picture of the "shelf" and airbox. The airbox will get sounddeading material both on the in and outside!
Image
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Update

Sorted out som cables.. :?

This is the harness from the old engine :shock: (seen in my previous turbothread!)
Image

Added 4 connectors for the extra injectors and removed alot of ugly temporary fixes.. this is the result! Alittle more to do 8)
Image
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Found a picture on the net of JonasNs red turbo typ4 bug! :D

Image

I think this is one of the first versions of his engine 8)
User avatar
jonas n
Posts: 181
Joined: Sun Jul 03, 2005 3:32 am

Post by jonas n »

That´s the second version,the first had a smaller intercooler.. the engine on the picture was all original 2,0 type 4 with 1,7 solid lifter camshaft,garrett t25 turbo,L-jetronic from opel and teh saab 9-3 intercooler volvo/saab ignition and a crank pulley from a lawnmover;).... 127 wheel horsepower(152 at the crank) for about 500$:)
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

I had this little thing made out of 40mm alu. roundbar..

It's for oilsupply.. 1/2 hose connections in both ends and one 3/8 output for the turbo and of course 3 x 1/8 holes for the temp and pressuresenders :)

Image
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
Tony Z
Posts: 1244
Joined: Wed Aug 30, 2000 12:01 am

Post by Tony Z »

nice
culman1234
Posts: 6
Joined: Sun Sep 11, 2005 11:41 am

Turbo Baja Bug

Post by culman1234 »

Jonas, Looks almost ready to fire. Are you planning any paint or leaving it a sleeper? My own type IV turbo baja bug project is coming along. Tell me what you think.
[img]
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/culman123 ... pg&.src=ph
[/img]
http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/culman123 ... pg&.src=ph
I bought a boost/vacuum gauge and a manual boost controller. I got a 7000 rpm VDO tach. When talking to Jake Raby he said definitely stay under 6 lbs of boost. Do you think the length of the intake runners is going to affect the responsiveness of the engine? In purchasing an oil pressure gauge how much oil pressure should I expect? I'm old school so I'm running a holley 390 CFM four barrel with vacuum secondaries with a K&N air cleaner. Thanks for lookin, Rich King
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

culman1234 >> Looks cool! Those long pipes will make it boost later.. but I don't think you will ever notice the difference ;)

Tell me more about your engine ? whats in it ?

I don't know about the oilpressure.. I can't remember how much the pressure was on the last engine :oops:

I'm a EFI guy! but you can get alot out of carbs to! :)
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Update

I'm pretty pleased with the result.. this is just a mockup.. the hoses and wires will be "fixed nicer"

Overview
Image

Another angle
Image

Turboside..
Image

Closeup on the right side..
Image

Insideview, the msdbox is where it should be.
Image

There is space left in the engine compartment :shock:
Image
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
jonas_linder
Posts: 1587
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2002 12:01 am

Post by jonas_linder »

Update

Made some good progress today!

Finished the left side and center piece of the intake!

Image

Image

Meanwhile my friend made som finsih touches to the engine! We moved the oilfilter to the front, much better access and the space was there :)

Image

Image

Not much left to do :) The intake should be finished up tomorrow and my friend will possible finsih the shelf with sounddeading material :D
Last edited by jonas_linder on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
type3
Posts: 853
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2002 12:01 am

Post by type3 »

Great pics Jonas, keep up the good work! :D


cheers,
type3
Post Reply