Heads ;)

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
jonas_linder

Heads ;)

Post by jonas_linder »

Some experiment with a bad head... Don't worry, the channel will be done with clay :lol:

The idea is to straigten out the port and make a nicer short radiues bend.. If you don't understand now you will tomorrow ;)

Using clay it is possible to alter the port with just your fingers :D When satisfied with the result.. sit down with a real head, weld, grind, port and do the real thing. This head is badly hogged out to make room for all possible types of port shapes ;)

Can Drive Soon

Post by Can Drive Soon »

I sorta see what your gettin at. Play with it until you like it.

Couldn't help but to think of "Master of Disaster" when I first saw that pic. :D
bj

Post by bj »

i've just seen a head with a HEAVILY modified exhaust setup similar to what you are doing from FAT Perf.

the work was extensive and the studs were moved from the stock location to boot. the port was HUGE!!

from what i saw, it's definitely possible.

good luck.

bj
MASSIVE TYPE IV

Post by MASSIVE TYPE IV »

I understand totally.. BUT spend a lot of time on the short side as well, its a huge velocity killer..

BJ, check these out...
Wally

Post by Wally »

I like the idea Jonas!
I hope you are able to relocate the rear exhaust stud more backwards. It would amost certainly also mean relocating the forward studs more backward also.

Jake's pictured heads obviously work (Mighty Spider 257 hp from this one right?), but I still see a rather steep changing of direction of the exhaust flow over a very small distance.
Now if you could make the 90 degree turn more gradual... :roll:
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Well.. at lunch today I let the child in me lose :lol:

I bought some clay and started working with the port.. only a few minutes later I had a rough shape.. easy to try new idéas :D

- a nicer short radius bend
- almost no decrease in cooling

Here is some pictures to discuss :)

As you can see wally the port is laid back just a hair 8)

Wally

Post by Wally »

Nice!
Its like I predicted you were doing right? Move both studs outwards so that a more gentle slope can be attained?

That should really work well I think. But now taking care of the details like the sealing of the rocker box? and: Can the rocker arm studs still move and have support when you do this to all 4 exhausts?

Cool, keep it going :D
(you should see what I've done with plaster and a cooling shroud :lol: )
T4T: 2,4ltr Type 4 Turbo engine, 10.58 1/4 mi
www.apfelbeck.nl
"Mine isn't turbo'd to make a slow engine fast, but to make a fast engine insane" - Chip Birks
doc
Site Admin

Post by doc »

For the benefit of the novices, like me, is this all working towards a "bigger, straighter" path through the head? By "moving" the port location, you seem to have made it "straighter". Is this the goal? What is the anticipated gain?

What's the problem? Is it finding a way to remount the studs and, thus, the exhaust? Is it also an issue that "thinner/weaker" spots have been created by all the metal work? Will this require only removing material or will you have to weld back?

How will you know if this a good or bad change? Certainly looks cool! Just trying to understand how much work for how much reward. Thanks

doc
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

Looks like you got "your head on straight" when thinking about the
port design!
:twisted:

Keep going!

Don
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
Unkl Ian

Post by Unkl Ian »

What does the flow bench say ?
And will it clear the push rod tubes ?

Increasing the short side radius,by raising the floor,
should let you use a smaller port for a given displacement.
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Wally wrote:Nice!
Its like I predicted you were doing right? Move both studs outwards so that a more gentle slope can be attained?

That should really work well I think. But now taking care of the details like the sealing of the rocker box? and: Can the rocker arm studs still move and have support when you do this to all 4 exhausts?

Cool, keep it going :D
(you should see what I've done with plaster and a cooling shroud :lol: )
Yes, that's right wally :) That is the whole idea!

Sealing the rockerbox will be made with weld and more aluminumplate We just have to see if it's room, but it should be!
doc wrote:For the benefit of the novices, like me, is this all working towards a "bigger, straighter" path through the head? By "moving" the port location, you seem to have made it "straighter". Is this the goal? What is the anticipated gain?

What's the problem? Is it finding a way to remount the studs and, thus, the exhaust? Is it also an issue that "thinner/weaker" spots have been created by all the metal work? Will this require only removing material or will you have to weld back?

How will you know if this a good or bad change? Certainly looks cool! Just trying to understand how much work for how much reward. Thanks

doc
Someone please correct me if I'm wrong. Gas doesn't like turning and the stock exhaustport has very tight bend making the air "stall" creating turbulens. The goal is to make it straighter, yes! The gain should be less turbulens meaning a bigger port with the same air speed :)

The problem is that is very little room in all directions :? Relocating the studs (no studs, inserts and allen bolts) Weak spots will be taken care of with added material in other places.. I really took this farther then i first planed :)

There will be alot of welding for the final product :?

The final product isn't going to be until I know if it works.. this will be done on a flowbench and from help from some friends with knowledge :)
dstar5000 wrote:Looks like you got "your head on straight" when thinking about the
port design!
:twisted:

Keep going!

Don
Yes.. I was thinking straight alright :D I remember someone (richard?) posting pictures of heads with simular port angle.. hmm :)
Unkl Ian wrote:What does the flow bench say ?
And will it clear the push rod tubes ?

Increasing the short side radius,by raising the floor,
should let you use a smaller port for a given displacement.

It will surely not clear the stock push rod tubes.. but I will make it work as a complete combo. Everything is one off and special for the type4 anyway!
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

And some more "porting" :lol:

I raised the flange at the combustion chamber room side and added more material in the port :)

It is really hard taking a good picture.. the port looks much more "90 degree bend" in the photos

I've added around 10-15mm to the short radius side and this should help it :)

Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

Here is a head I found a while back, I still havn't taken it apart yet to get a better look at what was all done, but I did think it was interesting. As is your idea. Oh and these are round ports.

Last edited by Type 4 Unleashed on Mon Jan 08, 2007 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”
jonas_linder

Post by jonas_linder »

Have they made any improvements to the short radius ? any picture down the exhaust?

I don't belive in that kind of sealing for a turbo though :?
Type 4 Unleashed

Post by Type 4 Unleashed »

I still have to pull it apart to see how they sealed the pipe, and I couldn't tell if the pipoe had the angle or if the put the angle in the seat ?
Richard

EMW

“Have you ever noticed how some people never
have the money to do it right, but can always
find the money to do it twice ?”