Page 1 of 1
Turbo Converted to Centrificial
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 5:39 pm
by Don Gardner
What RPM does a turbo turn at? Would it be possible to machine a turbo housing for heavier bearings, cut off the exhaust side, mount a pulley and belt drive it, even if you had to run a jackshaft two belt system to get the revolutions up high enough. Any positive thoughts on this?
Turbo Converted to Centrificial
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 9:33 pm
by Searoy
Turbos turn at 50,000-125,000 RPM.
Yes, it would be possible to remove the turbine section of the turbo, install a belt or cain or gear drive to turn the compressor. A gear mechanism, pulleys, something, would be required to get the turbo up to speed.
Exact balancing would also be required, or the device would fly apart at revs.
There is a reason centrifugal superchargers cost what they cost. NOnetheless, they are a viable option.
------------------
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Searoy
"I tend to lean toward a tighter gap and a
looser skirt....a little slap never hurt." -- Joe of the West
Turbo Converted to Centrificial
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 11:17 pm
by Magoo
I think the side loading on the snout would damage the impeller/ turbine wheel in short order if it were to rub on the housing(s) BTW Searoy just to up date your vast store of knowledge ,I have it on good authority that a late garrett turbo (t15?) operates at speeds up to 240,000! YEEEEOOOOWWWW! Happy new year
Turbo Converted to Centrificial
Posted: Mon Dec 31, 2001 11:34 pm
by Sidewalk
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Don Gardner:
What RPM does a turbo turn at? Would it be possible to machine a turbo housing for heavier bearings, cut off the exhaust side, mount a pulley and belt drive it, even if you had to run a jackshaft two belt system to get the revolutions up high enough. Any positive thoughts on this?<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
I wouldn't suggest it. The gearing required for that would leave a lot of inertia. Have you ever played with one of those toy cars that you push on the ground the direction you want it to go and it drives itself? They use the same princible, high gearing with a heavy weight to use for inertia.
------------------
'59 bug-unstock
Stella
'88 Bronco II-unstock
Sonja
Turbo Converted to Centrificial
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 12:05 am
by Searoy
I stand corrected. T04 and similar sized turbos spin at up to 125k, while T03 make it to 150k or a tad over. I'm sure smaller turbos spin faster.
Nonetheless, turning a turbo into a centrifugla supercharger is not really plausible.
------------------
*** Teach a Man to Fish ***
Searoy
"I tend to lean toward a tighter gap and a
looser skirt....a little slap never hurt." -- Joe of the West
Turbo Converted to Centrificial
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 4:22 am
by Steve C
Hi
Somebody has already done it.
http://www.capa.com.au/blower_pick.htm
Steve C
Turbo Converted to Centrificial
Posted: Tue Jan 01, 2002 5:23 am
by Don Gardner
Those converted turbo units look good. Any thoughts on getting the 13:1 ratio that they use in their gearbox? I had thought about removing the exhaust side of the turbo then using double pillow blocks with a drive pulley between them. Then using a double cog belt system between the engine and turbo housing. I had also thought about using an oversize turbo so I could spin it at a lower RPM.