Relocating Turbo

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Joe Del
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by Joe Del »

I need to relocate my turbo for several reasons. 1) The deck lid won't fit over the turbo. 2) I made a custom lid with a cut-out for the turbo, but this holds in entirely too much heat. Oil temp runs close to 240 degrees F w/deck lid and 190 degrees w/o deck lid. 3) Exhaust manifold is entirely too small. The four exhaust tubes feed into one 1 1/2" pipe.

Since I'll be fabricating a new exhaust manifold, I thought this would be a good time to relocat the turbo away from the engine compartment. I was thinking of behind the apron or on the left side of the tranny.

I'm looking for ideas, suggestions etc. Image

Thanks in advance.
User avatar
beetle_freak_53
Posts: 161
Joined: Thu May 25, 2000 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by beetle_freak_53 »

Cam,
I'm planning on building a type 4 for my beetle now w/ a turbo, and I've been thinking that it may be possible to cut out part of the firewall and move it back into the inside of the car to just behind the back seat. That way you can gain alot of space in the engine compartment. I've also thought about using the "vents" that are just behind the rear side window as an air inlet for the engine, maybe fabricating some type of scoop to catch more air. I'd like to know what you end up doing along with a picture because I'd like to keep the back of my car completly stock apperance for that sleeper look. Image

------------------
it's not a car...
it's a cult!!!
CptanPanic2
Posts: 366
Joined: Wed Apr 12, 2000 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by CptanPanic2 »

That is what I saw another guy do, he cut out his luggage compartment, and boxed it in to put the turbo on top of the transmission.

I looked at your picture more closely and I think what you can do is to what is popular for a blow through turbo, and I think it should fit. You make the turbo just a little below the pulley and to the left. with the exaust exiting out to the left, the boost going straight up to the carb, and the intake pipe going to the right and bending up to get cooler air from the top. I am sure someone has a picture of this setup. It is also shown like this in the Turbomania book.

[This message has been edited by CaptainPanic (edited 07-30-2000).]
User avatar
Steve C
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sun May 14, 2000 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by Steve C »

Hi
a friend of mine cut out and boxed 1/2 his rear luggage area. It works OK but he does get a little noise and heat in the cabin. What about reversing the whole rear luggage area or using a CB exhaust with an electric oil scavenge pump as CB mounts the turbo very low.
Steve C

------------------
Derrick

Relocating Turbo

Post by Derrick »

I will be installing a turbo on a 2332cc engine I'm building. The turbo will be located to the left of the tranny with the package tray cutout and rebuilt for the addition of a intercooler. If you have a new exhaust fabricated add a boss in the collector for the installation of a O2 sensor. This will come in handy for dialing in your carb and absolutely necessary if you were to convert to EFI in the future.

Derrick from Mooresville, NC
Joe Del
Posts: 267
Joined: Tue May 09, 2000 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by Joe Del »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Derrick:
The turbo will be located to the left of the tranny with the package tray cutout and rebuilt for the addition of a intercooler.
Derrick from Mooresville, NC[/B]<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Derrick, I'm in the Huntersville area. I like the intercooler idea. Is the 2332cc engine your building air cooled (Type 4?). I'd like to hear more about your intercooler. I'm currently working on rebuilding a 1.7 liter Transporter engine that I plan on installing the turbo on the Type 4 motor. In the future, I plan on increasing the displacement to "at least" a 2.0 liter (w/turbo). Send me an email. I'd like to hear more about your 2.3L intercooled turbo. Image

Joe Del
[email protected]

http://www.volksweb.com/drivers/empigtvturbo/Joe.html



[This message has been edited by Joe Del (edited 08-01-2000).]
User avatar
Sharkey
Posts: 966
Joined: Sat Jul 22, 2000 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by Sharkey »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve C:
<B>Hi
a friend of mine cut out and boxed 1/2 his rear luggage area. It works OK but he does get a little noise and heat in the cabin. What about reversing the whole rear luggage area or using a CB exhaust with an electric oil scavenge pump as CB mounts the turbo very low.
Steve C

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Steve,

Do you know of a source for one of these electric oil scavenge pumps? I'm running the CB exhaust and you are right... locating the oil outlet for the turbo below the oil level inside the sump isn't the best way to go.
User avatar
Steve C
Posts: 1143
Joined: Sun May 14, 2000 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by Steve C »

Hi
Porsche use an electric scavange pump. I guy I know just used a holley electric fuel pump another one used a semi auto oil pump. You will need to make a sump to collect the oil as it is like wipped cream when it leaves the turbo.
Also with regard to intercooling check out this Aussie site wwww.autospeed.com It is put together buy a local bunch of wizzkids, it has vast amounts of information, but a lot of it is member only (Im one) Try searching for water/air intercooler and you should get an interesting free article.
Water/air intercooling is well suited to a rear engined VW because it is hard to get a air/air intercooler in the air stream.
Regards Steve Carter

------------------
[email protected]
Posts: 291
Joined: Thu May 11, 2000 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by [email protected] »

I was checking out John Connolly's street car project a few weeks ago. He cut out the package tray and simply flipped it upside down thereby giving lots of room above the tranny.
Steve
69bug
Posts: 1495
Joined: Sun Nov 18, 2001 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by 69bug »

HEY JOEL DEL...IF YOU READ THIS...CAN U PUT SOME MORE PIC'S OF YOU MOTOR AND CAR...AND ALSO THE SPECS...IS THAT A SOCK CARB??????


THANK U!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

------------------
if you can't find't it...GRIND IT!!!
martin
Posts: 114
Joined: Sat Apr 14, 2001 1:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by martin »

I'm gonna use a porsche fan and this gives you a bit of room where a stock type 1 fan would normally be. I also have had the firewall removed and a new one installed further into my luggage space, this has gave me lots of room for a t-04 turbo if i wish.
Steve Arndt
Posts: 7420
Joined: Sat Mar 10, 2001 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by Steve Arndt »

http://www.autospeed.com/A_0090/article.html

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Steve C:
<B>Hi
Porsche use an electric scavange pump. I guy I know just used a holley electric fuel pump another one used a semi auto oil pump. You will need to make a sump to collect the oil as it is like wipped cream when it leaves the turbo.
Also with regard to intercooling check out this Aussie site wwww.autospeed.com It is put together buy a local bunch of wizzkids, it has vast amounts of information, but a lot of it is member only (Im one) Try searching for water/air intercooler and you should get an interesting free article.
Water/air intercooling is well suited to a rear engined VW because it is hard to get a air/air intercooler in the air stream.
Regards Steve Carter

</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
gekko
Posts: 3
Joined: Sun Dec 09, 2001 12:01 am

Relocating Turbo

Post by gekko »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by martin:
I'm gonna use a porsche fan and this gives you a bit of room where a stock type 1 fan would normally be. I also have had the firewall removed and a new one installed further into my luggage space, this has gave me lots of room for a t-04 turbo if i wish.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

i've already considered the porsche fan, but would like to keep all body stock, sleeper- style! (also keeps wife happy) have you already started work a turbo'd type 1 engine?
i'd love to see or chat further!
Post Reply