Page 1 of 1

Running a Sump on a Woods Buggy

Posted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 5:31 pm
by Odyknuck
Im building a new 2165 for the Buggy and would like to add a sump however I would have to drop may rear cage 3" to make it fit. I would loose 3" of needed ground clearence. My question is are they nessarary. Most of the guys I ride with do not run them.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:13 am
by scott the viking
I can tell you this......everyone that I run into is shocked and appalled that I am not running a deeper sump on my Baja. When I ask why, I get many tales of how they knew someone's brother's ex-roomate's uncle, who met a guy at a rest stop who told him his buggy blew up after being starved for oil on a steep incline :shock: . This DID frighten me at first.....it didn't frighten me enough to put one on 8) . It is now four years later and my bug has not missed a beat or dropped a single pound of oil pressure. Most of my driving is on steep inclines, like the dunes at Florence, Winchester Bay and Glamis. I do have a full flow system with two filters mounted inside the car, so it holds around seven quarts, but that should not make any difference as far as the sump is concerned. So either I have a total fluke of a car (not impossible) or a sump extension is not really necessary. Just some food for thought.

Posted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 6:56 pm
by RT
I run a Berg 1.5 sump. I had to space the 1/4" aluminum skid plate a little lower to accomodate it. I wouldn't run without it and I never had an oil light flicker yet. And I run mine in pretty steep terrain.

There is another reason for running a sump. Even when the buggy is on the level, the engine runs at an angle (see the link below). When you fill the oil up to the full line, it's high enough inside the case to run down the forward pushrod tubes and into the valve covers. But with a sump, I can run it just above the add line (no higher than 1/2 full) and still have plenty in reserve. That helps to keep the oil flowing down into the case where it belongs.


http://www3.telus.net/public/t8535236/B ... 20view.jpg

Posted: Wed Dec 15, 2004 11:08 am
by MNAirHead
a sump only adds a couple of inches... with a proper skid plate, it shouldn't be a problem.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 8:23 am
by scott the viking
The question he had is.......is it necessary? I would say that "necessary" is a strong word for it. I would say "Preferable" if you already own one or do not have to do major construction to make one fit, but necessary? It has not been for me.

Posted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:14 am
by Marc

Posted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 11:31 am
by vw505
i have a tuna can for mine.