Page 1 of 1

VW Trike

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:46 am
by VWLARRY72
I am in the process of turning a wrecked '72 Super into a Trike. I've been cruising the web looking for ideas and came across this site, http://hometown.aol.com/eretzelectric/C ... trike.html, he has used rigid electrical conduit for the frame of his trike. Any thoughts on this, is it stong enough, will it last. Real curious as to what others think. Thanks.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:06 am
by fortyeye
No ... No ... and NO ... BTW the link doesn't work

Dave

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 7:17 am
by letterman7
Echo on Dave....bad idea. For anything that is going to be on the street, it should be a heavy wall aluminum or steel (better) frame, TIG welded is best. Conduit is too thin, bends waayyy to easy, and rusts if you look at it.
If you go aluminum, use T6061 and TIG weld it. Just don't try to bend it too far.

Rick

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 1:32 pm
by VWLARRY72
Sorry about the link, let's try it again. members.aol.com/eretzelectric/Charliestrike.html

Maybe it will work this time and thanks for the feedback.

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:20 pm
by letterman7
Hmmm...looks pretty. Let's see how it fairs under load and pulling that trailer. Welding galvanized isn't easy. The only problem I see thus far is possible electrolysis from all the dissimilar metals used. Hopefully it's primed and painted and grounded correctly. Who knows? This might be the new way to build bikes!

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:22 pm
by JC-ATL
Have you considered just mating an existing frame to the rear axle assembly? I've seen a million of 'em done that way, seems like it would be a very simple way to go, and hell, most cycle boneyards are just rotten with older frames, particularly Japanese cruiser and standard frames.

off topic

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 2:38 pm
by Gomer_pyle
what does btw stand for?

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:01 pm
by fortyeye
by the way

Re: off topic

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 4:01 pm
by JC-ATL
Gomer_pyle wrote:what does btw stand for?
By The Way

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 6:13 pm
by Gomer_pyle
ok i get it......thanks

Posted: Wed Aug 18, 2004 8:52 pm
by Guest
Actually that is what I'm doing on this fist trike. I'm keeping the entire bug pan, cutting off the frame head and welding on the front of an '82 Honda CB900 Custom that I picked up from a salvage yard for $100. Plan to sell the good parts of the bike on Ebay and get my money back. Just go to Ebay and do a search for Honda CB900 and you'll get about 5 pages of parts. Seems to be a market. But like I said this is my first trike, want to do something different next time. But I do appreciate all the input. Didn't think conduit was the way to go. Thanks again and I'll post some pictures when it's done, most likely next spring. Just like this year, got pulled off the project to paint the house.......