Page 1 of 1

disc brake conversions for splitties

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 10:47 am
by mike dee
:arrow: Any success stories and/or suggestions on what type of disc conversion works best for a 67 split? Thanks :twisted:

Posted: Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:50 pm
by PIOMAC
So Cal Imports has a bolt on kit for wide five disc brakes, but I haven't heard of anyone trying it on their bus.

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:26 pm
by right lane
:( I have a 67 that I want to convert to disk also. Here is the reply to me from So Cal Imports: "sorry, you have a type-2. The kit is for the type-1 only. We specialize only in type ones."
HELP !

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 12:50 pm
by A_67vdub

Posted: Tue Aug 19, 2003 2:30 pm
by 84 IM Flier

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 7:36 pm
by ErnieDV
Here's another angle for you - pick up a copy of "How to Modify Volkswagen Bus Suspension, Brakes & Chassis for High Performance", by James Hale. ISBN 1-903706-14-9. The author says you can put the beam of a 68-69 Bus onto a Split-Screen, then change out the other parts to change from the drums to the disc brakes that came on older models. He's got lots of other tips as well and I've learned a lot by reading it.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 9:28 pm
by DudeAndHisBus
There is a guy in the type4 forum that has done a 944 disc conversion on the front of his split. I could get you his e-mail if you'd like.

Posted: Wed Sep 17, 2003 11:24 pm
by Pillow
I am using the Old Speed kit and am very pleased with it.

Early 944 brakes up front using a bay MC with Wolfgang adaptor.

Soon to be 944 discs all around with 944 rear IRS arms using an Old Speed mounting kit. 944 MC and custom brake lines to replace the old metal ones. Super Beetle tranny with tall 3.88 R&P with single side cover case and Thing output flanges for T2 CVs. Custom SAW "longtravel" axles.

We will see what happens... Hope to have it done for Bulli Brigade in Tampa this November.

Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2003 10:06 pm
by panel
A_67vdub wrote:Try Oldspeed:

http://www.oldspeed.com/parts.htm
I kinda copied that kit but am using 912 single disks,944 hubs,bus disk m/c and '73> van calipers and a custom caliper mount. I also went the '68 b/j route and was nice cause it's all stock but now I have the above set-up.

Posted: Sun Oct 12, 2003 3:13 am
by FlatFourFanatic
Check this out,a posting on the Volkszone,possibly the UKs biggest chat/discussion/tech VW forum.


http://www.volkszone.com/VZi/showthread ... adid=51957



I'm Rad Dubs and Englishmen BTW.and Bealzibus,the deluxe hardtop in my signature,is now running the kit,also 944 MC,soon to be added servo,and rear 944 discs.
Cheers Andy.

Posted: Mon Oct 13, 2003 10:16 pm
by PIOMAC
How much is that kit, that you are selling, in U.S. dollars? Never figured out the whole conversion thing.

Posted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:14 pm
by FlatFourFanatic
Hi sorry for the delay,at the moment I have no plans to offer this kit anywhere other than the UK,it is made in small batchs,as and when I have enough orders.Current cost is £250 GBP,for comparison.