Ghia Rear Reflectors

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Bob K

Ghia Rear Reflectors

Post by Bob K »

Hi folks,
I've been looking for a set of rear reflectors (the ones under the taillights) for a '71 Ghia. They aren't in the Rocky Mtn catalogue and they never seem to show up on ebay.

Even my tried and true VW supplier can't help me out :cry:. I've had a couple of Beetles ('71, '64) and just acquired this Ghia a few weeks ago. I'm finding out quickly that I'm not in Bug Land anymore when it come to finding trim items.

Are these reflectors difficult to come by? Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks, Bob
RoWaMe

Post by RoWaMe »

Let me try to expand your horizons about those lenses and maybe that'll help. Those lenses were a last-minute item for the US market due to changing vehicle lighting regulations. They were in a chromed housing that had an approx. 2x3" rectangular reflector facing rearwards. If you're familiar with the Beetle, they got some approx. 2"x3" "bicycle" reflectors mounted onto each of the rear bumper brackets just for that year to fulfill the reg's. In Europe, Ghias also got reflectors, but used the ones from late '60's Type 3's- the ones that taper to an approx. 3" ROUND lens. I'm "pretty sure" that the entire chromed lens bracket from a '67 thru '69 type 3 (Squareback and Fastback) would fit the body crease line on the Ghia, and would seem to be easier to find used than the Ghia unit. Type 3's did away with those lenses in '70 when they got those huge taillights, that Ghias got from '72 thru '74 (once again, the same part as a Type 3).
nreslifer01

Post by nreslifer01 »

Have you tried Karmann Ghia Parts and Restoration?
www.karmannghia.com
hand123

Re: Ghia Rear Reflectors

Post by hand123 »

Hello.
I do not have rear reflectors on my 1970 Ghia convertible. I have seen rectangular ones that seem to be period correct for the 1970. I don't necessarily like that style.

I have also seen bullet style on Type 3 VW. The bullet styles seem to be of two styles. One is on the end and the other wraps around. Does anyone know if either of these styles would fit on the 1970 Karmann Ghia?

https://www.vwispwest.com/pg123

Thanks