Page 1 of 2

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 12:13 am
by Northwest 1,2,3
I have a '76 2 liter bus. What is the difference in the rods when the book says to install with the numbers up? is there an offset in the rod somewhere? I think I have two down, two up, is this a problem?

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 1:28 am
by Bob Ingman
Did your book say # up in regard to the T-4 rod specifically? It is mandatory that this be done on a T-1 engine but just looks good on the t-4. They are bilateralsymetric. Good luck. Bob Ingman


[This message has been edited by Bob Ingman (edited 01-06-2003).]

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:51 pm
by Class 11 streeter
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Ingman:
bilateralsymstric<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Bob, is that even a real word? Image



------------------
I am from the Government, and I am here to help!

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 9:56 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
I use the bearing tangs as a good locator, I face them down toward the camshaft, which should be numbers up, but not all rods have numbers.....

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 11:32 pm
by Bob Ingman
Class11, bi lateral symetric= both sides same.It was the biggest word I learned in the fifth grade. Good luck. Bob Ingman

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 1:21 am
by porsche_914_freak
i didnt know that word, but now i do.
thanks. Image

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 4:53 pm
by Northwest 1,2,3
Thanks for the input. I wanted to be sure that without all numbers facing up, I am not risking loss of lubrication or an offset. I will go with it as it is.

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 7:33 pm
by amskeptic
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Ingman:
bi lateral symetric<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

what the heck, "bilateral symmetric"
Spell-Check,Inc.
( first correction, free!
subsequent corrections, $1.95 per word)

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 10:50 pm
by Bob Ingman
You mean thats not one word? Do the rods still go either way? Please forgive me. Good luck. Bob Ingman

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 6:30 am
by blabla914
Bob,

You'll have to check what I am saying, since I don't have any manuals handy and it's actually been a while since I did a VW bottom end. That's good since it means my engines aren't blowing up.
Anyway, the rods can not be put in any old way. Take a look at Jake's post. I believe the tangs have to be installed so when the crank rotates the bearings are positively held in. What's important is that when the crank spins the flat of the tang pushes on the opposite piece (either cap or rod) of the rod. The rotation of the crank should not push against the "ramp" of the tang. If somebody who has done a motor recently could add their two cents that would be good. I'll try to take a look at some manuals tonight too.

Kelly

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:19 pm
by blabla914
Hey thanks Bob. I guess they can go in either way.

Kelly

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 12:36 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Tangs down.. That should be numbers up.

From the factory they assembled them all on the bench with all rods going one direction, meaning that 2&4 are up and 1&3 are down. Thats the easiest way for me to tell a virgin engine that has never been touched...

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 4:21 pm
by amskeptic
If they were built in a line at the factory, your pairs would have to be 3&4 and 1&2 if you merely flipped the two over.
OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING?
Colin

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:46 pm
by Bob Ingman
Kelly, my reference is Tom Wilsons book How To Rebuild Your VW aircooled engine. Page 118 engine assembly- crankshaft assembly buildup- "bumps on rods must all face up on T1-3 engines or rod offset will be backwards. Type 4 rods have symetrical small ends and can go either way".
Worked for me. Good luck. Bob Ingman

2 liter Rod direction

Posted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 11:53 pm
by Northwest 1,2,3
I took another look at my Bentley and when it said to have the numbers up it was describing the type 2 bus with the bug style type 1 engine. It was not so specific about the type 4.

A local type 4 builder I just spoke with said; He would put them up himself although he had been in other motors that were not bad that had some rods up and some down.

If anyone feels having two of my rods with the numbers down is going to kill my motor please speakup now.

thanks.