Page 1 of 2
Sealing shock through the fenderwell
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:48 pm
by usabug
Anyone have any good ways to seal water and debris from the hole in the fenderwell where the shock goes. I mounted the shocks to the roll cage inside the car, and I want to seal the area to help keep out water and dirt.
Pictures would be good too.
Thanks
Dean
Posted: Mon Apr 28, 2003 9:56 pm
by Hotrodvw
I was told by Prerunner1499 that inner tube material works well. Cut the hole smaller than the size of the shock body, so that the material is a stretch fit to seal. Use a narrow strip of aluminum to make a flange border around the hole that you cut, and pop rivet it, or screw it to the fender well. Good luck! Eric
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 3:09 am
by findog78
The actuater rod boots off a CH46 rotorhead work perfectly. They are made of a thick yellow "life raft" type of material, with a zipper slit and velcro sewed around the top to wrap the shock. The bottom was fastened to the fender well with a metal ring I cut out like a shifter boot has. Wish I had some more. Im sure a tailor could knock a couple out.
Posted: Sun May 04, 2003 5:31 pm
by getsmarx
I use wet suit material for mine. Make sure to cut the holes a little smaller than the diameter of the shocks so they will make a tight fit.
Charles
Posted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:20 am
by CheekyMonkey
this is a friend's car here in the UK:

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 12:47 pm
by CopperBaja
I like the wetsuit idea.
usabugs avatar looks like a version of BigDave's baja.
Anymore pics or ideas?
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:44 pm
by Kraut_n_Rice
How about coilovers?
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 3:51 pm
by CopperBaja
I don't have the room with my cage and rear seats. It was basically a sacrifice. Not to mention I don't have the budget for 3x3s and such.
....so I'm doing some research for installing boxed arms and shocks.

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 4:05 pm
by david58
A CV boot would make a pretty clean install.
Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 9:13 pm
by Kraut_n_Rice
If you're only lookin' to get 3" of travel..

Posted: Tue Nov 04, 2008 10:11 pm
by 57baja
It's a poor picture, it actually looks a little better now with some dirt on it. I cut the sleeves and shoulder area out of a child size wet suit and riveted it to the fenderwell, along with some Sikaflex to seal it. It works BITCHIN! It keeps the dirt out, and actually cuts the noise down, too! Yes, it works on coil-overs, as you can see.

Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 10:53 am
by Kraut_n_Rice
Nice!
Got any pics of the inside?
Posted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 11:30 am
by Ol'fogasaurus
That does look nice! I am impressed! One top to do both sides.
Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:27 pm
by takotruckin
Sorry to be late to the party guys
vinyl and zippers from walmart

Posted: Sun Nov 09, 2008 5:50 pm
by CopperBaja
tako,
Have pics of the fenderwell? Did you sew them up?