Page 1 of 1

Adapter Plates, Who uses them?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 8:01 pm
by Flipper
I have a set on the rear of my rail and somehow sheared off the drivers side Sunday afternoon riding around. Wasn't hot rodding it because I had my son in the car with me. How often does this occur, as I have been told that this happens alot with adapters?

Thanks

Flipper

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:32 pm
by getsmarx
Wheel adapters?

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:23 pm
by Flipper
Yeah I have wheel adapters to be able to use Chevy wheels. [/quote]

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:35 pm
by Stock93
Didnt I tell you not to use those :) If your like me, I break wheels so I can imagine what I would do to adapters...

John

Posted: Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:43 pm
by Stock93
BTW, I have some hubs and discs drilled for a chevy full sized pattern(I think) with some trailing arms with mounts for the caliper and calipers if you are interested.

John

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:54 am
by GDRBO
Wheel adapters are a disaster lurking!

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:49 am
by type34sunroof
Quality adapters/spacers should work fine. The Porsche people use them alot to put late wheels on early cars. Problem is the ones sold off the shelf for around $40 a pair for V-dubs don't even belong in a cracker jack box, much less on your car. A good set is gonna cost alot more than just using the correct pattern wheel or drilling your drums/hubs to the correct pattern. Better SAFE then sorry.Right?

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 10:59 am
by prerunner1499
I bought mine from wolfgang out of hot vdubs. 69.95 a set, 5/112- 5/205
they are 1/2 " thick steel. They came in 3 days. I drilled them and pressed studs in. I really doubt they will ever break, as these things are buff stuff.
The ones I see and hear of braking are those cheap a$$ pot metal cast jobbies. Man ,,, a good fart across those and they will crack. :lol:

Posted: Tue Apr 15, 2003 3:41 pm
by GDRBO
I forgot the adapters like kevin (and I) have are the only ones I know of that are not disasters lurking.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:22 pm
by usabug
I agree,

I have had nothing but problems with them. They were fine in the old days, before you could have wheels or drum made with the correct bolt patterns. I would ditch them and get a rim for VW pattern, or drum reworked with alternate pattern.

Dean

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 5:54 pm
by Flipper
These plates are about 1/2" thick and are solid steel. The regular stub bolts that fit the wide 5 are 12mm stub bolts and aren't long enough. Think this is the main problem that I have.

Posted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:45 pm
by GDRBO
That is quite likly your problem longer lug bolts or better yet studs would be the solution. Or if the threads are stripped or boogered you can drill and tap for the later 14mm lug bolts.