Page 1 of 1

T5 crank interchangeable?

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 3:08 am
by Class 11 streeter
Ok, looking for knowledge:

Is the T5 crank interchangeable with the T4 crank, or is it unique to the T5?

------------------
I am from the Government, and I am here to help!

T5 crank interchangeable?

Posted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 8:53 am
by Type 5 Joe
Hello,

It is different from either Type I or Type IV.

These Cranks can be found in the late model vanagen Wasserboxer motors.

69 and 76 stroke from the factory.

- Joe

T5 crank interchangeable?

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 9:32 am
by Type 5 Joe
Tom Notch is running a Type I crank W/ Type IV mains (Berg).

He's going to create an adapter for the main seal to sleeve it down from Type IV to Type I size.

- Joe

T5 crank interchangeable?

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:44 am
by pocketrocket
We have made a adapter for a T-1 rear main seal into a h2o boxer case if you run a bug style crank & flywheel, with a o-ring around the outside of the alum. adapter no leaks,You put it in when you put case halfs together. Thanks Rocky

T5 crank interchangeable?

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:08 am
by Class 11 streeter
Ok, crank is unique to the T5, unless case is modified to use a T1.

Got it. Image



------------------
I am from the Government, and I am here to help!

T5 crank interchangeable?

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:34 am
by Type 5 Joe
Actually the case needs no Mods, you need a Type I crank with Type IV mains.

- And the seal adapter Rocky mentioned...

I preffer to run the Wasser crank (stock or stroked) that way you can keep the 5 bolt TypeIV style flywheel atachment.

- Joe

[This message has been edited by Type 5 Joe (edited 01-20-2003).]

T5 crank interchangeable?

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:35 am
by Bobby74
Is it possible to use shouldered bolts or is 5 pinning overkill?

T5 crank interchangeable?

Posted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 9:41 am
by Type 5 Joe
I just use new bolts, you could add the 5 extra dowells....

I've never had a flywheel come loose, I have busted a couple ring & pinions...

- Joe