Dumping the Duals
-
Veedub_68
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:01 am
Dumping the Duals
IM running dual webber 40's on my 1915 baja...I HATE them. I wouldnt mind tuning them all the time if i could get them to tune well in the first place. Ive rebuilt them so thats not the case and im running berg linkage on the engine. SO i think im going to run a webber progressive. Anyone elses 2 cents would be much abliged
-
joe of centorg
- Posts: 374
- Joined: Sun Jun 30, 2002 12:01 am
Dumping the Duals
Hello,
It's probably your distributor giving you problems.
All of this stuff has to work as a team....
- Joe
It's probably your distributor giving you problems.
All of this stuff has to work as a team....
- Joe
- Class 11 streeter
- Posts: 4083
- Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am
Dumping the Duals
Joe has a good point. You may have a weak spring in the dizzy if it's a well worn Bosch.
------------------
I am from the Government, and I am here to help!
------------------
I am from the Government, and I am here to help!
- Crash
- Posts: 710
- Joined: Tue Dec 04, 2001 12:01 am
Dumping the Duals
I would be happy to trade a complete single 40IDF setup for yours. I ran a progressive on one of my engines and hated it more than duals. I could never keep it clean enough to run right. The single IDF ran very well even full of mud.
-Mark
------------------
Blind Chicken Racing
www.blindchickenracing.com
-Mark
------------------
Blind Chicken Racing
www.blindchickenracing.com
-
Fig
- Posts: 83
- Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:01 am
Dumping the Duals
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Veedub_68:
I have got them very close with my syncronizers but have problems with the carbs not returning to idle once warmed up. I stop then it will take about a min plus to return to idle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If this is happening only after the engine is warmed up, I would try going to larger idle jets. Sounds like a lean idle circuit.
I have got them very close with my syncronizers but have problems with the carbs not returning to idle once warmed up. I stop then it will take about a min plus to return to idle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
If this is happening only after the engine is warmed up, I would try going to larger idle jets. Sounds like a lean idle circuit.
-
sandtowd
- Posts: 167
- Joined: Wed Nov 20, 2002 12:01 am
Dumping the Duals
i have 3 cars right now with progressive's and have used them since late 80,s. (not all on vw's) it's agreat card for the price. the problem in the dirt or sand is in the linkage, but that sloved by using a long outerware to cover the whole unit. the flat spot in vw use is sloved by drilling the accel nozzle bigger. i have gone to duals on my bigger motors. i,ll give give two progressive's for a set of dual's. do i hear "3" and a old oil cooler
- BajaT4
- Posts: 415
- Joined: Fri Nov 29, 2002 12:01 am
Dumping the Duals
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Veedub_68:
...but have problems with the carbs not returning to idle once warmed up. I stop then it will take about a min plus to return to idle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How's your valve adjustment? If you have them adjusted too tight (less than .006" at TDC for each cylinder) then the exhaust valves may be staying slightly open (bad) after your engine gets warm causing your engine to not idle.
I had the same problem once when I got a little _creative_ in adjusting my valves. Setting them correctly (at TDC for each cylinder) solved the problem with no other adjustment.
...but have problems with the carbs not returning to idle once warmed up. I stop then it will take about a min plus to return to idle. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
How's your valve adjustment? If you have them adjusted too tight (less than .006" at TDC for each cylinder) then the exhaust valves may be staying slightly open (bad) after your engine gets warm causing your engine to not idle.
I had the same problem once when I got a little _creative_ in adjusting my valves. Setting them correctly (at TDC for each cylinder) solved the problem with no other adjustment.
-
Hot Wheels
- Posts: 1191
- Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:01 am
Dumping the Duals
They are really a pretty good setup. Are you experianced with duals? Are you using a uni-sync guage or equivilant to balance the carbs? Ive seen it done with feeler guages and a good ear but im certainaly not that talented. If they are out of balance they can be a real bear to get right.
-
Veedub_68
- Posts: 19
- Joined: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:01 am
Dumping the Duals
I have a Uni -synk but i have also purchased number vaccume guage that sites in my venturies. I have got them very close with my syncronizers but have problems with the carbs not returning to idle once warmed up. I stop then it will take about a min plus to return to idle.