which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Pablo
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Pablo »

You are a perfect candidate for a Type II transmission, with much lower (and stronger) R&Ps. The Type I is not the best trans for off-road use. While the 3.88G and 4.12 0 are both pretty strong, they are tall R&Ps, not suited for off-road. Going to the 4.86 Type I aftermarket R&P is asking for trouble.

JMHO

Paul
User avatar
bajaua
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by bajaua »

Hi,

I have tried my stock 1600dp bug with 30 inch high tires on the rear, but that just changed the gear ratio.

So, will a deferent Ring and pinion set will make back good? Which one?

And where can I buy it online?

Is it hard to do the conversion?

Thanks a lot
User avatar
bajaua
Posts: 108
Joined: Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by bajaua »

HI

what is the best R&Ps ratio to use in my situation ?

what is bad in the 4.86:1 aftermarket R&Ps
TIMBERWOLF
Posts: 329
Joined: Fri Jun 21, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by TIMBERWOLF »

I went from a 1303s box in my buggy with 29" tyres to a 'three rib' (reinforcement ribs on diff housing) bus box. home made solid mounts and a bit of clearancing on the frame horns, bug axle, bus cv 's no retainerclips and 924 porsche stub axles. Weekends work and about £200 parts. It'll climb trees now.
Pablo
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Pablo »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by bajaua:
<B>HI

what is the best R&Ps ratio to use in my situation ?

what is bad in the 4.86:1 aftermarket R&Ps</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See above. There is no "best", because the Type I R&Ps that might survive a 30" tire are TALLER in ratio (the opposite direction from where you want to go).

The 4.86 pinion head is too small, and the aftermarket quality is poor. A 4.86 won't last very long at all.

If you insist on remaining with the Type I, Then I would strongly suggest that you use the 4.12 "0" from a Thing transmission, along with a 4.25 1st gear/mainshaft (and other gearing) from ERCO.

Good luck

Paul
Baja Wes
Posts: 239
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Baja Wes »

The lower the diff ratio, the weaker it will be.

A bus 4.86 is heaps stronger than a bug 4.86 because in the bus tranny they went to a hypoid style ring and pinion which is heaps stronger but a little less efficient.
Pablo
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Pablo »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Baja Wes:
<B>The lower the diff ratio, the weaker it will be.

A bus 4.86 is heaps stronger than a bug 4.86 because in the bus tranny they went to a hypoid style ring and pinion which is heaps stronger but a little less efficient. </B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>


-- plus the ring gear is 1" bigger, and the set is genuine factory (not aftermarket stuff).
User avatar
Class 11 streeter
Posts: 4083
Joined: Sun Nov 11, 2001 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Class 11 streeter »

Hmm, I am running a Thing transaxle now (case code AT) and I had the 4.86 put in. Anytime this comes up, I worry somewhat.
I was led to believe the first to go would be the spider gears (stock differential carrier, not Superdiff Image)and possibly a CV, although I have not really beat on the bug repeatedly enough to break something yet.

[This message has been edited by Class 11 streeter (edited 07-05-2002).]
Hot Wheels
Posts: 1191
Joined: Wed Mar 07, 2001 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Hot Wheels »

The bus units are my favorite for off road and big tires. Cheap, strong and low gears. First gear is usually the first to break, bus or car for me. May have somthing to do with the 7500rpm launches and paddles and slicks. The last 4.86 with FTC gears has been bulletproff. The stock first gear was to low so we raised 1st and second to compensate. Great setup.

Sean
www.madbuggies.com
Posts: 1
Joined: Fri Feb 15, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by www.madbuggies.com »

I am running a T1 early IRS box with 4.12 gears. My engine is a mild 1641 with 110 cam and a single Weber 2bbl carb. I have 10.50 x 31" Goodyear MT tires on steel wheels and can easily spin them on pavement with only 10lbs of air in them. My buggy weighs around 1200 lbs. I have been told by my parts shop (they build and drive woodsbuggies) that my set-up is good for the 80 Hp I am running. Anything more would need a 5 rib bus tranny. But rem the 4.86 would kill your gas mileage with only 30" tires. Not to mention your top speed would be about 60 MPH. Hope this helps!

------------------
Mike Jacobson
President, Mid-Atlantic Dune Buggy Club
User avatar
Bob Ingman
Posts: 2869
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Bob Ingman »

The trans in my Thing is bad and I`m ready to swap it out for one from a standard bug. I would like to keep the 412:1 R&P. Is this a DIY swap from unit to unit? Thanks and good luck. Bob Ingman
User avatar
Marc
Moderator
Posts: 23741
Joined: Thu May 23, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Marc »

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Bob Ingman:
The trans in my Thing is bad and I`m ready to swap it out for one from a standard bug. I would like to keep the 412:1 R&P. Is this a DIY swap from unit to unit? Thanks and good luck. Bob Ingman<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Same trans, different final drive flanges. Overall, I think I'd search out a `72 unit for the beefier clutch mechanism, even though it'll have the fine-tooth gears.
Pablo
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Pablo »

The Thing 4.12 is a very stout R&P -- much stronger than the Bug version. So yes, it's worth the trouble to swap it over.

Paul
User avatar
Bob Ingman
Posts: 2869
Joined: Mon Mar 19, 2001 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Bob Ingman »

Thanks Paul. This is consistent with the information I`ve acquired previously.
Can you tell me if the R&P swap is a do it yourself project with no jig or special tools? Feel free to email me if you wish to elaborate . Then I can save the dialog inbox for future use. [email protected]
not thingman2000 any longer
Again, Thanks
Pablo
Posts: 1162
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2002 12:01 am

which Ring & Pinion set for tall tires

Post by Pablo »

Hi Bob

Unfortunately, this is one area that normally requires special tools (VW mandrel 281 for IRS, and 282 for swingaxle). The more experience the better. But if you want to "wing" it, using bluing to check your R&P mesh pattern, I can pass along a few DIY tips.

But first: 1) Make sure this is a 8:33"0" R&P set. Not all Things had this R&P.
2) Are you transfering from an IRS to a swingaxle trans? 3) Are you transfering from/to a late pinion bearing case?

Paul
Post Reply