Page 1 of 2

headers

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 3:31 pm
by vw505
has any one used the header from www.kerryhunterenterprises.com ,it looks good and the prise is not to bad.

headers

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:15 pm
by Mueller
They rate slightly better than factory H/E, but far below CFR Headers. Eurosports supposed to be better than Kerry's, but cheaper than CFR's.

headers

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 5:25 pm
by vw505
ok so what are the other ones you talked about cfr, eurosport H/E? price ?

[This message has been edited by vw505 (edited 12-09-2002).]

headers

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 7:14 pm
by Bleyseng
Chris Foley Racing sells the best header by far for the 914. Its about $900 but you get about 10hp using it. Jake Raby swears by them these days and is doing a dyno test to compare units on the Germanlook forums.
If you are looking for a nice exhaust check out the Triad exhaust($350) combined with the SSI heat exchangers.
Geoff

------------------
76 914 2.0L

headers

Posted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 9:52 pm
by Mueller
CFR=1000
Euro=500
Kerry=400

stock h/e's=free or whatever people are selling them for

i'm guessing at the prices, but i think i'm close enough for you to get the idea

i'm running stock 2.0 h/e's for now...still waiting for SSI to develop 914 headers Image

if money was no object and i was building a competive car and not one just for fun, i'd run the CFR's but i'm not racing my car and i'm cheap....so no headers for me for now...

headers

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:20 am
by Dave_Darling
CFR == http://www.tangerineracing.com

No contact info on the Eurorace ones.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com

headers

Posted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 10:23 am
by jdogg
Grassroots Motorsports magazine did a rebuild on a 2.0 and tested some various exhaust systems. If I recall, the Kerry Hunter system added about 5 hp over stock HEs, while the CFR system added about 6 hp.
My actual numbers may be wrong, but I remember that it was definitely only a 1hp difference between the two. Let your budget decide - the CFR system is of very high quality, and it is supposedly easier to install because it has individual stubs to the exhaust ports that the header attaches to - but for hakf the price, I think I would buy the Hunter system and out the other 500 clams into something else.

headers

Posted: Wed Dec 11, 2002 6:09 am
by johnhora
I have used the European Racing Headers for quite some time and they work very well. Have the stub pipes that fit the heads allowing you to remove the whole system without detaching at the heads. Nice for race engine as it is removed alot.
You can get them from Jason Burkett at www.paragon-products.com. Check with him on current prices. It is HIGHLY recommended to have them ceramic coated just for rust protection. For get how pretty they look...you will be sorry if you don't since your very expensive headers will just waste away one day.Figure this cost into your budget! I will try to find a picture of them.

John

headers

Posted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:37 pm
by RacerBVD
What ever you get, and rember, 1.7 & 2.0s don't use the same headers, spend the $225 and have them Jet-Hot coated, I can give you the # next time you stop by.

------------------
RacerBVD
http://members.rennlist.com/racerbvd/

headers

Posted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 9:50 am
by Dave_Darling
Whaddaya mean they don't use the same headers? You should be able to bolt a header for a 2.0 onto a 1.7 no problem! And vice-versa. Unless you're talking the "square port" Bus heads, but I figured we were talking 914s...

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com

headers

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 2:53 pm
by Targa
Hey Mike,
What have you heard about SSI making headers

Mueller Wrote:
i'm running stock 2.0 h/e's for now...still waiting for SSI to develop 914 headers Image

------------------
Rev it up & Go!

[This message has been edited by Targa (edited 12-19-2002).]

headers

Posted: Thu Dec 19, 2002 9:56 pm
by MASSIVE TYPE IV
Tangerine, the ONLY way to fly...

Hell, just the stub pipes being so effective at sealing off makes tyhe system worth the money..not to mention the quality of the welds, they are amazing!

I'm forking over the dough for one as we speak. I practice what I preach, this on is going on my 2270" "G" in my 73 914.

------------------
Jake Raby
Raby's Aircooled Technology
www.aircooledtechnology.com

headers

Posted: Tue Dec 31, 2002 9:43 pm
by Dave_Darling
Targa, don't hold your breath on the SSI headers. From what I can tell, this is a "far in the future" project for them, and might or might not actually wind up seeing the light of day.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com

headers

Posted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 3:33 pm
by dana914
Sorry, don't mean to beat a dead horse, so as I understand it there is no intermediate level header for 914's. I understand quality cost but there must be an option for us monetarily challenged folks. I called SSI to check lead times every time I call I get a different answer. So any advice short of making it myself would be appreciated.

headers

Posted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 2:11 pm
by RavenGTi
i am pretty sure i saw a 914 application on S&S headers' site. really inexpensive, have no idea about the quality of it though. i guess you get what you pay for, unless you have your own welder.