Page 1 of 1

Tail to Side shifter conversion - firewall bracket

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 2:05 pm
by Dave_Darling
You don't need to relocate the hole--all you really need is a different-sized hole. Happily, there is a "converter bushing" that has the OD of the early hole and the ID of the late front shift rod.

As for a lip to hook the boot onto, you'll have to figure that one out for yourself. A lot of people who convert cars just do without hooking the boot up--it does tend to push against the firewall because of its accordion shape, but it certainly isn't sealed...

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com

Tail to Side shifter conversion - firewall bracket

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 4:23 pm
by vwduud
Great news. Thanks Dave. Is there anything else I would need for the swap, besides any worn parts I find from the donor (seals, synchros, standard shift bushings etc.)? In other words, besides the converter bushing, are there any other "conversion" parts that I will have to buy?

Tail to Side shifter conversion - firewall bracket

Posted: Mon Nov 25, 2002 11:41 pm
by vwduud
After speaking with John Hora about this conversion, he brought up something I was unaware of. He explained that the hole in the firewall, where the shifter exits, needs relocating, as well as having a different type of mounting lip for the enclosing bellows. We talked of using a side shift donor cars firewall (just the shifter area section), as well as, someone making a bracket, for this conversation. Does anyone know who manufactures/supplies this bracket? I have a donor car, but would like to fully understand my options before I break out the cutting tools. Thanks - Jim

Tail to Side shifter conversion - firewall bracket

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:44 am
by Dave_Darling
No other "special" parts to buy, but....

You need all of the shift linkage from the later car, from gear shift lever all the way back to the tranny. If you really like your old shift knob, you can keep that. You need the tranny. (Or at least the shift rails and such.) You also need the late motor mount bar, with the solid mounts for the outer end and the rubber mounts for the middle. And the brackets that hold those mounts onto the engine case.

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com

Tail to Side shifter conversion - firewall bracket

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 9:45 am
by van914
If you need an engine mount bar let me know. I have one for cheep but shipping is costly it weighs a few pounds.

Tail to Side shifter conversion - firewall bracket

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 1:51 pm
by r_towle
BTDT,
The out mounts, where the bar is fastened to the "frame" of the car are solid, basically washers.
Where the bar mounts to the engine there a rubber ones, buy new ones.
Where the rubbers mount to the engine there is a special bracket behind the fan housing, you MUST get this off the donor, I paid dearly for this part.

The rear muffler bracket is a must have.
The shifter rod
The front shifter rod
The shifter
All the bolts.
While your at it replace the clutch cable etc... The pulley might be worn.
The bushings are all available at Pelican parts, I made custom bronze ones that made the shifting even better, another story...
I did the flywheel and a whole new clutch,
Oh, the clutch release fork has a bushing, replace it.

Rich

Tail to Side shifter conversion - firewall bracket

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:16 pm
by Dave_Darling
Uhhh, the muffler bracket shouldn't need to be changed. You change it when you swap from 1.7 heat exchangers to 2.0, or from the 75-76 exchangers to either of the early ones, but not when changing trannies....

--DD

------------------
1974 VW-Porsche 914 2.0 (Type IV powered!)

Pelican Parts' 914 Tech Geek http://www.pelicanparts.com

Tail to Side shifter conversion - firewall bracket

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 2:52 pm
by r_towle
ok
i must have a spare in that pile of parts then.....

Tail to Side shifter conversion - firewall bracket

Posted: Tue Nov 26, 2002 11:19 pm
by vwduud
Thanks. I will be stripping the donor car this weekend. I imagine, since the motor and tranny are still intact, most of these parts should be present. As far as the motor mounts, on the motor mount bar, do the inner, outer, or both deteriorate typically, requiring replacement? Just trying to get my shopping list together. - Jim