Page 1 of 1

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 7:17 pm
by Tak
Hi, I'm a new member here. I just purchase a 74 914 with 2.0L. Body is soo clean and no rust.
It has been converted to dual weber by a previous owner and runs like a sh--.
I like to convert it back to FI. Is the FI for VW Bus the same as 914, if I can not find the original one from 914? Is there a after market FI for 914?

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:25 am
by johnhora
Tak,
go to
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/DJetParts.htm

and it will get you started

John

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:36 am
by Brett Anderson
I have the full system for sale. Everything from the fuel pump to the distributor

I am swiching from perfectly running 2.0 DJet to carbs for a larger displacement engine.

I told someone a few weeks ago $600 and he went away. Maybe that was too much.
I do need to get real money for the system to be worth selling. Make an offer, lets talk.

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 5:46 am
by bowlsby
Complete 2.0L FI systems for 914s typically sell for $100-150. They were likely pulled because one or more components went bad, so you will likely end up replacing something after trouble shooting.

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 4:43 pm
by Bleyseng
Yes, I have put FI back on my car. Finding the correct working parts was the hard part. Once I did I has able to reinstall everything in a weekend and fire it right up. I did this before Brad wrote his page, but to save time and money read it! Djet is a pretty simple system once you understand how it works.
Geoff

------------------
76 914 2.0L

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2002 4:58 pm
by JRust
I have a complete FI of a '73 2.0. I got it to kinda troubleshoot mine. After I'm done I'll probably sell it. If your interested email me [email protected]

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 4:37 am
by 94teener
Tak,
CBPerformance sells an FI system for the 914,
it's expensive.
Phil

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Fri Jul 05, 2002 6:59 am
by ray greenwood
The only differnces between the 1.7 injection and the 2.0 (real differences)are the calibration of the MPS and the position and configuration of the TB and center plenum. If you get your hands on a complete 1.7 D-jet system, it can be made to run correctly by using the stock 1.7 center plenum and using a 2.0 vanagon TB and slightly enlarging the opening in the plenum with a tailpipe expander. It bolts right up to the larger Vanagon TB with a stock gasket in the 1.7/1.8 location with 1.7/1.8 runners. You will need to swap the throttle shaft from the 1.7 TB if the 2.0 vanagon TB does not have the long shaft to allow the use of a throttle valve switch. Its really easy. The 1.7 MPS can be adjusted for the minor differences in vacume signature in the 2.0 engine. I have found many that needed no adjustment in the MPS. The distributor and vacume can are the same,(porsche part #'s aside...022 905 205 P) the CHT is the same, the throttle valve switch is the same, the vacume routing is the same (for the most part). The stock 2.0 914 TB has a little better configuration as far as being vertical and dumping straight into the runners....but I don't know as of yet exactly how much difference...if any...that configuration makes. Fuel presure regulator and fuel pump are the same. The injectors from the 1.7 an easily substitute on a stock motor for those in a 2.0. Give it 2 psi more more pressure before you adjust the MPS and that is usually enough (about 32psi total).There were actually 3 injectors used stock between the 1.7,1.8 and 2.0 among the 411/412 and 914 cars (there may be more). From the part #'s I have found, one was for 1.7/1.8. One was for 2.0 (its very little different) and oddly enough...one is listed for 1.7/1.8 automatic trans. I'm still trying to find one of those (it had a different letter on the end of the part #) so I can test it and see whats up. The ECU uses the same code (E-series). Ray

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Sat Jul 06, 2002 6:48 am
by pbanders
I suggest looking at my D-Jet parts web page at:
http://members.rennlist.com/pbanders/djetparts.htm

My suggestion is to configure your 2.0L like the 1974 motor, there's a section on my web page about the specific parts.

I strongly suggest that you avoid adjusting the MPS unless you have a modified motor, and suggest that you use the appropriate MPS for your motor and not substitute. The 1.7L MPS and 2.0L MPS are identical under part-load conditions (vacuum levels higher than 6 in. Hg), but differ in the extent of full-load enrichment (the 2.0L has more enrichment). I also suggest that you use the appropriate distributor for your engine model and not substitute. There are about a dozen different 1.7L distributors, I suggest not using any of them with a 2.0L motor.

Brad Anders

Converting back to FI?

Posted: Mon Jul 08, 2002 11:25 pm
by ray greenwood
Brad, I have found that most of the range of different 1.7L distributors are from the busses. The 411/412 distributor for 1.7L FI used but one or two. Most of them the 905 205P which was also used on some of the 2.0's and works well. I have a tendency to forget that I work mainly on the 411/412/914 and less on the bus. The main differences are in the spring tension on the mechanical advance weight section, and can be swapped out. Though I have never had a problem being able to adjust the E or B series MPS to run properly, I never knew they were internally, much different. Is it a stroke difference in the rod/armature area...or a difference in the design of the aneroid chamber? Hmmmmm..it would be nice to know to allow these to be modified quicker and easier (if possible). I do concur...in general, that if the engine is left basically stock, it would be best not to fiddle much. If the vacume signature is significantly changed (serious exhaust changes, mild to serious cam changes, or serious manifold changes, displacement changes concerning stroke) I have always found that best performance must be "tuned" in. Almost all aftermarket rebuilt MPS, when you can find them, seem to be really out of adjustment. Ray