Page 1 of 1
is there a difference between a FI cam and carb cam?
Posted: Wed May 09, 2001 11:45 pm
by Tim
I have dual weber 40 IDF carbs on a 1.8L 914 engine. It originally had fuel injection. With the carbs I am running extremely rich. The plugs get fouled often and gas leaks into the engine oil. I know the rings are good because I have done compression checks. The jets are the right sizes. The only thing I can think of to cause the richness is the cam. My question is if there is a difference between a Fuel Injection cam and a carberated cam. Thanks, Tim
is there a difference between a FI cam and carb cam?
Posted: Thu May 10, 2001 8:41 am
by CptanPanic2
First there is no such thing as a FI cam. They are all the same. So a cam can not cause richness. You say the jets are right, but right would mean you weren't running rich. I don't know about jets, but I sure someone could give you a good starting point.
Brian
is there a difference between a FI cam and carb cam?
Posted: Thu May 10, 2001 10:49 am
by Steve Arndt
Easy one.
Check your fuel pressure (you want it set to 3.00000 PSI) and check your float height. Both of those directly influence your jetting so get those perfect before thinking about jetting. It sounds to me like you might have too much fuel pressure. I had 4 PSI instead of 3 for a while and it made jetting impossible.
Steve Arndt
is there a difference between a FI cam and carb cam?
Posted: Thu May 10, 2001 6:08 pm
by stevestromberg
Mains 135 to 145, air 190 to 170, idle 55 to 60, check fuel level in bowl.
see
www.kymcovw.com/Pages/tech2.html For tuning help also Aircooled.net has tuning info. Steve
is there a difference between a FI cam and carb cam?
Posted: Tue May 22, 2001 2:41 pm
by Bobtail
Don't know 'bout the US but in europe the FI cam is the one to have cos it's got a better duration and more lift!
is there a difference between a FI cam and carb cam?
Posted: Sat Jun 02, 2001 4:22 am
by graeme86
Gee I hope you're not using the FI fuel pump still! WAY TOO MUCH PRESSURE.