Page 1 of 2
Best conversion motors????
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 7:05 pm
by one_ugly_73
I know you guys love the rotary mazdas, and some like the ford 2.3's. I have seen 2.8chevy's, but what is the best suited for a squareback? I want power and economy, but not injection...... opinions?
thanks
Best conversion motors????
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 8:42 pm
by Drakmare
If you want economy stay far away from the rotary

Best conversion motors????
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 9:29 pm
by Shadowbug
type4, or 1.8L vw watercooled. I personally would stick with the K-Jet injection, its simple enough for the average guy, but if you want carburation it can be done.
[This message has been edited by Shadowbug (edited 03-28-2003).]
Best conversion motors????
Posted: Fri Mar 28, 2003 10:03 pm
by miller
Well for fit I would use a subaru engine. Stick with a box style engine. I cant really see an inline engine working that well.
Best conversion motors????
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:14 am
by Crash
There are a number of engines that would work well but most would require you to cut the floor out of your car to fit the top of the motor. Most of this depends on how much modification you want to do. The only ones that would fit would be the aircooled VW and maybe the subaru.
-Mark
------------------
Blind Chicken Racing
http://www.blindchickenracing.com
Best conversion motors????
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 1:28 am
by miller
Best conversion motors????
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 9:15 am
by one_ugly_73
Cutting up the floor would be no problem as it is rotted and must be replaced anyway.
What motor would give me the best power/economy ratio? I want the hp but i don't want LOW gas mileage.... I can get a pick and pull motor for $120 and i have seen both the subaru and the mazda rotaries in there...... so the options are open.....
I had planned to build a 1776 in the stock case, but I dont think it will make enough power to make driving it fun.
thanks
Best conversion motors????
Posted: Sat Mar 29, 2003 12:23 pm
by miller
Well for the most hp the 2.3L turbo is the best. The specs for the 86-87 engine are 200hp and 240lbs of torque. Not many 4cyl engines can match those numbers. Ive also heard of the 2.3L turbo handeling up to 500hp. Ive also heard of guys runnin 150-200 shots of NO2 in their thunderbirds, that got them ito the 11 second 1/4mile. Its a killer cheap engine.
Posted: Tue Apr 29, 2003 12:08 pm
by zenjoe
Maybe a nissan sr20de engine. Handles 20lbs of boost and 400hp on a totally stock engine (with a nice sized turbo and injectors of course)
Decent gas milage, WAAAYYY lihgter than a ford anything (aluminum block and head) and more reliable than the subaru's (problematic #3 piston ring lands on the turbo motors)
Or you can go rotary, its super light, super reliable, and really fun to drive. Plus they fit without cutting anything, and can be built to make tons of power (I have vids of 1200hp 3 rotor engines on the dyno)
Posted: Fri May 16, 2003 7:35 pm
by miller
Yeah I was thinking about the sr20 when I was getting my engine but I couldnt resist how cheap the 2.3 is. $525 for engine and kennedy adapter. Hard to beat that.
Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 2:58 am
by Guest
I've got an SR20DET sitting on my balkany!! Just needs a rebuild..and only has like 57000 km on it (That problematic #3 and #2 blew when i was using a TD-06 Turbo...). Any links on how i can go about doing this conversion???? VERY INTERESTED as it may be cheaper to do then building a whole new VDubb engine.
Posted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:13 am
by aceracer24
Anonymous wrote:I've got an SR20DET sitting on my balkany!! Just needs a rebuild..and only has like 57000 km on it (That problematic #3 and #2 blew when i was using a TD-06 Turbo...). Any links on how i can go about doing this conversion???? VERY INTERESTED as it may be cheaper to do then building a whole new VDubb engine.
forgot to register...the above post was mine... Thanks for any input!

Posted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:46 pm
by jmillheiser
any inline 4 would stick out of the engine compartment a ways(especially an SR - these things have fairly large heads on em).
in a squareback i would probably look at a NON-TURBO subaru engine like the EJ25 (engine out of the outback/forester and 2.5RS impreza). you could probably fit it with only a small bulge on the decklid in a T3
Posted: Thu May 29, 2003 3:55 am
by metropoj
Hey Guys, I hear a lot about the 2.3 What cars did they come in ?
Posted: Sat May 31, 2003 1:58 pm
by one_ugly_73
As far as cutting the floor, mine is rot destroyed anyway. i planned to raise it a bit to make room for whatever engine i choose. I'm leaning toward the rotary. plan to use the 13b, but with a turbo charger and bigger injectors. the pick and pull here has them most times when i go, so i'll just snag one. any body ever turbocharge an NA 13b? power specs before/after?
thanks
also, if anyone needs parts from a 73 fastback let me know. have all but the engine.