Page 1 of 2
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:15 am
by Al-B
Hi
I've been given the opportunity to lay my hands on a Scooby WRX motor (with a blown head gasket) for the princely sum of £300!! "Bargain!" I hear you cry, and indeed it is!
I have every intention of putting the motor into my '68 Bug (KEP kit etc), however, the cooling of the motor troubles me. I'd like to fit a couple of radiators underneath (as per Rich Olafsons Speedster) But I pretty much suspect that this won't be efficient enough (Rich?). Therefore I may have to put the radiator(s) up front.
This is my main concern as I don't want to go hacking up the bonnet (hood) and filling it with grills etc.
Has anyone got any ideas, tips, hints and more importantly pictures of bugs with radiators mounted upfront which don't look too far from the norm?
Thanks in advance
Al B
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 7:07 am
by Richard Olafsson
Al,
I think you are remembering my old rad set-up from the Alfa engine. I still have one at the back but also the main one is at the front of the torsion beam, this is an Alfa 33 unit. All works fine and is fairly well hidden. Two at the back wouldn't be enough for a Scooby lump even if you could fit them both there with the turbo/exhaust outlet.
One thing to note and consider is the aerodynamics at the front of your car. Over the weekend I lengthened my scoop by 2" forwards (no bigger) and it hugely improved the efficiency. It was fine before I fitted the chargecooler rad but it is better than before now!
What I think was happening is that the bumper/number plate were disrupting the air flow enoug to harm flow into the scoop below. Now it is closer to the front it is a lot more effective. I have just painted it matt black so it is no more noticeable than before.
About your engine, be very careful, it could end up costing a fair bit to correct! At lease about £100 for head gaskets if you are lucky. If not the heads may need to be re-skimmed and your compression ratio reset.
Keep us informed!
Rich
PS if you want to chat about it I'll be at Action or p-mail me and I'll give you my phone number...
------------------
http://www.ricola.co.uk
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 9:07 am
by Al-B
Thanks for the swift response Rich!
Quick question about your front rad',
does the warm air disperse fast enough when your stationary or in slow moving traffic?
I'm going to lift out the fuel tank, panel over the hole (probably with perspex) and run a spun ally fuel cell above thereby giving me a fair bit more room up front, Do you think this will be enough as I don't want the rad' heat to dammage the body paint?
Nice tip about the scoop, I'm going to be running blade bumpers so if I go 'your' way maybe I can sneak a scoop in without to many people noticing.
As regards the engine, I'm not too worried (although I know I probably should be!) it's coming from a reputable source. My Brother is a bit of a 'Rally freak', has worked for PRODRIVE, and two Scooby dealers so he knows his stuff and he reckons the motor's going to be sorted. Cheers for the concern though!
I'll be at Action to, but only on the Sunday, I'll try and catch you there (Wife permitting)
Thanks again
Al B
Oh..... and here's the '68 in its glory (so far)
Yep, they are Imprezza seats
arty farty time.....
[This message has been edited by Al-B (edited 09-02-2002).]
[This message has been edited by Al-B (edited 09-02-2002).]
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 11:48 pm
by Richard Olafsson
Hi Al,
I've seen previous pics of your bug, looking good and original! Those scooby seats look good too, how much did you pick those up for?
I only have a fan on the rear rad with an aftermarket thermo switch and it copes fine, as long as you set up a front switch properly to take into account the time delay between rad getting hot after engine from the long lines you should be fine.
I seriously doubt whether the hot air wold have any effect on the paint of the body work. If you have concerns just fit some reflective film on the panels and that'll keep it cool.
Sounds like you have good contacts in the Scooby world so you shouldn't have too many problems with the engine then. What year is it? Electrics can get nasty if it's a very new one.
I might be showing the speedster at Action (going over on Sunday morning), depends how shiny it is as a friend is showing his Oval. I will leave my mobile number on the spec sheet so give me a ring when you're there
Rich
------------------
http://www.ricola.co.uk
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 5:11 am
by Al-B
Cheers Rich
Ref: The engine year......... Big Question mark on that, but cant see it being more than 4 years old if that's any use.
I'll hopefully catch up with you at Action to bounce a few things of of you, and to take a million pic's of the speedster!
quick question while I'm here. after seeing the results of your newly polished wheels (courtesy of your website) Where did you get them done? How expensive? is the 3 day turnaround normal?
Cheers mate
Al B
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Tue Sep 03, 2002 10:11 am
by Richard Olafsson
I'll let you in on the secret at Action. No, it wasn't expensive...
Wouldn't like to clean yours on a regular basis if they were polished!
Re engine year. You might be lucky, the later ones get stupidly integrated with the rest of the wiring harness and switches, definitely the immobiliser. Will you have access to the whole car?
Rich
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 12:57 pm
by Al-B
Rich,
Cheers for the wheel hint!! Glad to hear that it wasn't expensive (the wife's even happier!)
'not too fussed about polishing them too often....... she's got nothing better to do! (I hope she doesn't read this!)
As far as I'm aware the Scooby engine is going to come with the loom, all the brains and cooling system.
speak soon
Al B
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Wed Sep 04, 2002 11:29 pm
by Richard Olafsson
Al, looks like I may be going to Action for saturday instead of sunday at the moment.
P-mail me and I'll send you my phone number if you want to chat about the swap...
Rich
------------------
http://www.ricola.co.uk
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 2:37 am
by reub-revhead
Sweet bug Al.
Check out my VeeWRX yahoo album (a bug with attitude.....possibly soon to be mine).
------------------
Reub-Revhead
VolksROD Enthusiast
[email protected]
http://photos.yahoo.com/volxrod
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:51 am
by Steve C
Hi
Have a look on other sections of this forum, a few people are using WBX motors in bugs, I am in mine but my car is a Superbug so my radiator setup would not be suitalbe for your car, search for user, marco the steem engine, he has a beam front end bug with a radiator in it and the other ones I cant remember thier names, but search and Im sure you will find something. I ran my main coolant lines down the floorpan directly under the pan bolts. Another tip, if you can fit your radiator and motor in place and tow the car to an exhaust shop and get them to bend up some stainless exhaust pipes to serve as coolant lines, it will save you a lot of time laying under your car, leave a few rubber joins so the pipes have some movement.
Steve C
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Thu Sep 05, 2002 3:57 pm
by junkyardoval
Hey guys
There is a guy in California who put a Mazda rotory in his bug. He mounted the radiator in the front and says he has no problems. I am in te process of putting a Subaru 2.2 in my 56 Oval and will be putting the radiator in front with the lines running inside the heater channels. I will let you know how it works.
Ernie
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 3:43 am
by TIMBERWOLF
Got a wbx in my buggy with a golf/audi rad (quite small cos of a very fine matrix - it's got fins made from foil thin alloy) also has factory fan £20 all in and looks like new. Was having probs with the thermo switch not kicking in quickly enough like Richard was saying - engine gets hot under the collar in traffic before the rad mounted switch 'knows' about it. Just bypassed the auto switch with dash mounted, flick switch when stationary. Not very elegant solution but stops boiling embarrasments!
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Fri Sep 06, 2002 5:44 am
by Richard Olafsson
I 'got by' with an overide switch for ages and never forgot. But, I just fitted an aftermarket switch by the engine outlet that controls the fan and it is sooo much less hassle. Well worth the £20...
Rich
------------------
http://www.ricola.co.uk
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Sat Sep 07, 2002 3:20 am
by marcotheturbosteamengine
A couple of pic's of my bug with a Turbo WBX motor, There is alittle hole at the front where colded air enters the spare tire well this is ample but you need thermo controled fan to cool in trafic.
http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2 ... 0000001410 http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2 ... 0000001410 http://im1.shutterfly.com/procserv/47b2 ... 0000001410
Scoobys, Bugs and radiators...mmmm
Posted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 2:47 am
by TIMBERWOLF
Richard O - what switch did you buy? and can you run by me the theory of putting it at the engine outlet - not questioning it just want to get it round my thick head... where is it on a stock loaf? (t.25)