Page 1 of 1
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 6:54 am
by trevor_brady
Hi all, besides the radiator end of things, what is required in the line of a clutch/flywheel to put a waterboxer engine from a vanagon into a '73 swingaxle beetle?
Will the gearbox need to be upgraded? What starter should be used?
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/trevorbrady
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 12:48 pm
by PapaG
Search in the Conversion and Type 4 forums.
Waterboxer, Wasserboxer, and Oxyboxer (waterboxer converted to air cooled).
Basicly a Type4 Flywheel, 200, 210 or 215mm with the Type1 pilot bearing installed in the flywheel. Some can use the STD starter, some the automatic starter. FAT makes a flywheel, Jake Raby has flywheels and I am sure others do.
Mine 2.1 is going into a choptopped 68 squareback. I am sure others will post.
Marco the steem engine, Steve C and a few others have done this.
------------------
Richard
Lost in Texas
68 Chopped Top Squareback
69 Fastback Auto
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 10:16 pm
by liberty
i need to follow this post be cause i want to do the same to my notch.but i was going to wait and get a irs rear frame .
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Tue Jan 08, 2002 11:49 pm
by goatmaster187
If I were you I'd swap in a Bus tranny as well. You might have to cut away at the firewall and the rear apron to make everthing clear. If you go with fuel injection you'll need to run all the associated components that go with that, you'll also need to run a return line to the gas tank. By the way a 73' should be IRS.
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 3:08 am
by Steve C
Hi
I fitted one to my super bug. Whar sort of tranny you needs depends on what you wish to do with the car. I ran with a stock 4.125 bug box for some time. As already said its much the same as fitting a Type 4 engine into a bug. I prefer to use the 2.1 cooling system over the 1.9. I 1st used a stock starter but i came across a semi auto starter and have fitted it. If you need to ask me anything more post here, that way everyone gets to learn a few things.
Steve C
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 10:12 am
by trevor_brady
Thanks for the replys guys, I'll run a search on previous posts. BTW, Goatmaster, only the 1302,03 and semi-automatic bugs got IRS in Ireland, and I believe most of Europe. Mine is a '73 1200, with ball joint torsion bar front end, and swing axle rear. Not trying to get smart with you, just for your information
thanks again...
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/trevorbrady
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Wed Jan 09, 2002 9:11 pm
by goatmaster187
Got ya, here in the US I think the change-over happened in 69'. IRS would be a nice addition to your car though. The conversion isn't all that difficult either. I did it on my 65'. It took about an afternoons work. If you want to see some pics there are some at the Yahoo group that I moderate, "Boosted Reality"
[email protected]
Master of Goats
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:05 am
by Brutus
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trevor_brady:
<B>Thanks for the replys guys, I'll run a search on previous posts. BTW, Goatmaster, only the 1302,03 and semi-automatic bugs got IRS in Ireland, and I believe most of Europe. Mine is a '73 1200, with ball joint torsion bar front end, and swing axle rear. Not trying to get smart with you, just for your information
thanks again...
</B><HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Typical American, thinks the whole world revolves around us

(joke) off topic, but one of my favorite things on this forum is the number of different countrys posting!
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Thu Jan 10, 2002 6:57 am
by trevor_brady
I've uncovered some useful information from this guy's website:
http://www.tangen.nu/1600tl.html
he's got a type3, but used a type1 IRS gearbox, so it should work just like installing a waterboxer into a bug.
------------------
http://www.geocities.com/trevorbrady
putting a waterboxer in a bug
Posted: Sun Jan 13, 2002 2:44 pm
by spongeworthy
Hey everybody:
Does anyone know is a wasserboxer crankshaft pulley will fit on a type 1 crankshaft.
I have a performance T1 engine that needs a pulley with an additional belt groove for an accessory I may be installing.
I saw a vanagon in a junk yard the other day and it had a pulley with 3 grooves.
My case have been machines for a sand seal and I figure this Vanagon pulley might work with some modification.
spongeworthy.