Page 1 of 2
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 10:45 am
by DallasHead
At what temp should I check my oil? Dead cold in the morning? Red Hot after highway driving? Mild Idle? Also, do I check it with engine running, or turned off. Thanks for not laughing.
------------------
"Goin' Where the Wind Don't Blow so Strange"
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 12:50 pm
off, cold, first thing in the morning, make sure the bus is level.
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 3:40 pm
by Sidewalk
Technically, hot, after sitting for a few minutes, on level ground.
------------------
'88 Bronco II - Sonja
'59 Bug - Stella
'00 Buell X1 - Liz
"Yes, I am a smart ass."
"I'm a DUMBASS too"
But are you gutless?
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 7:32 pm
by DallasHead
So which is it? Cold, Warm, Hot? Looks like we have a difference of opinion here. I would like to hear the opinions of Scott Lyons and Jake Raby. Fellas?
------------------
"Goin' Where the Wind Don't Blow so Strange"
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:12 pm
by dubwcoast
when it is cold. the oil has dripped to the bottom of the case when its cold. when the motor is hot, its still all over the internal parts. you will get a different reading. check it cold
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:20 pm
by Sidewalk
That is why you are supposed to check it after it has been sitting a little while. The difference will be minor really. I would look at a bunch of owners manuals for various cars (I assume you do not have your original) to see what they say.
------------------
'88 Bronco II - Sonja
'59 Bug - Stella
'00 Buell X1 - Liz
"Yes, I am a smart ass."
"I'm a DUMBASS too"
But are you gutless?
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Thu Jun 27, 2002 8:49 pm
by Bookwus
Hiya Head,
Practically speaking, the truth of the matter is that it should be checked when it's hot AND when it's cold. I check my oil level each morning before I start her up. But I'll also check the oil when I'm out driving around and I need gas. Yes there is a difference in the readings, but by doing both you get a feel for what's going on - hot and cold.
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:31 am
by rich2481
Hold on I cant quit laughing
Seriously you should check it every gas fill up, after it has set a few minutes, and check it cold too, I do mine weekly but that is because I semi trust it wont leak in between without me seeing.
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 7:41 am
by Sidewalk
I check mine once in a while, but not too often. If I have oil pressure, and no stains on the ground, I'm good
------------------
'88 Bronco II - Sonja
'59 Bug - Stella
'00 Buell X1 - Liz
"Yes, I am a smart ass."
"I'm a DUMBASS too"
But are you gutless?
Sarcasm is one service we offer. If you don't like that,

na na n na na
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:30 pm
by Sidewalk
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by
[email protected]:
Not saying that your a girl, or wear pink (see the SH*T thread on the volksrodder forum)<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
Corral damn it!
------------------
'88 Bronco II - Sonja
'59 Bug - Stella
'00 Buell X1 - Liz
"Yes, I am a smart ass."
"I'm a DUMBASS too"
But are you gutless?
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 12:36 pm
by rich2481
well by the time I pump gas, get a 12 pack of beer, chips, throw away camera in case I see any pink cars. the oil is dwon for the count, usually I dont check at all in between oil changes unless there is a lovely puddle around
To fill the oil just look for the 710 cap...
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 1:00 pm
by Sidewalk
<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by rich2481:
To fill the oil just look for the 710 cap...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
But I can't find it
------------------
'88 Bronco II - Sonja
'59 Bug - Stella
'00 Buell X1 - Liz
"Yes, I am a smart ass."
"I'm a DUMBASS too"
But are you gutless?
Sarcasm is one service we offer.
Complaint Department
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 6:10 pm
by DallasHead
You guys are wasted! Ask a stupid question...
------------------
"Goin' Where the Wind Don't Blow so Strange"
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Fri Jun 28, 2002 11:44 pm
what, is it going to magically disapear after the engine is warm??
If you can judge how long it takes to get back down to the sump, great, but if somebody is asking when to check, they probably dont understand that concept at all, and may overfill the engine, and blow out the rear main seal.
I have met many girls this way

seems dad always told them to check the oil when they get gas, then they have really bad oil leaks
Not saying that your a girl, or wear pink (see the SH*T thread on the volksrodder forum)
Dumb Question; Don\'t Laugh
Posted: Sat Jun 29, 2002 12:38 am
by skorpio
Manufacturers specify that it should be done with a warm engine, approx 10 mins after switching off.
------------------
Sanity is merely a state of mind.