Page 1 of 2

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 9:47 pm
by Northwest 1,2,3
I am putting an engine in a bus that I didn't take out and need some help placing a few of the vacuum lines. 2liter fuel injected. Here they are:

-The two hoses from the distributor advance canister.

- The hose from the EGR valve.

-There is a hose coming off of the vacuum pipe that connects to the brake assist upfront, it is located just forward of the firewall tin and forward of a one-way valve- (I believe that's what it is) in the line.

These are all smaller diameter (1/8")hoses and fittings.

I have one more piece that I'm not sure of; it is a cast piece, part #022131519, it is about 1-1/4" long and about 5/8" diameter, it has a 1/2" long M8 stud protruding from the bottom and two small vacuum nipples on the top (one on each end).

Please help me find a home for them if you can.

Thanks

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 5:52 am
by germansupplyscott
north,

do you have any way to post a picture or two?

i have checked ekta and it is listed as a temperature switch. i believe it to be part of the egr system. the problem with ekta is that when a part is deleted, it no longer shows up in the diagrams, so i don't know what your mystery part looks like, only the number and description

here is a link that will be somewhat useful:
http://homepage.mac.com/punkinfair/VW_P ... bum13.html

the diagram will help with the vacuum hoses that are NOT to do wtih the EGR. the egr stuff will be difficult for me unless you can post some photos. plus i don't know much about the egr systems, few busses had egr in canada.

there are two hoses that go to the distributor, one for advance and one for retard. the advance nipple on the distributor points away at an angle, farthest from the body of the dist. retard points towards the distributor. the diagram in the link has the advance hose, so use it to get that one located. the retard goes from the rear of the throttle body - rear is rear - to the distributor. the retard nipple points down at an angle and is nearly impossible to access with the engine in the bus. i suggest unscrewing the throttle body from the the plenum to put the hose on, it can save time.

also, on the diagram note the tee in the advance hose. there will be other tees involved for the egr stuff, am pretty sure. i don't think there is a tee in the retard, but i am not certain, given my fuzziness on EGR.

that is a start, anyhow.

scott lyons

p.s. you should delete your other post on the 4um, this thread belongs here, not there.

[This message has been edited by punkinfair (edited 01-25-2003).]

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 10:20 am
by Northwest 1,2,3
Thanks Scott. That is helpful. I deleted the post in the type 4rum too. Most of my posting has been there and engine related to this point. I hadn't posted in the bus forum yet. Can pictures be posted in a thread? Here is a link to another great forum that I regular http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread ... eadid=1029 , this goes right to the thread of my bus and I can post a picture of my vacuum parts there if necessary.

Thanks again for the help!!!

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 2:00 pm
by germansupplyscott
123,

pic are possible here, but you have to use html to do it. i'm buggered of i know how to do that...

post photos of the mystery part, as well of your engine. or send them to me via email.

scott lyons

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Sat Jan 25, 2003 3:38 pm
by Northwest 1,2,3
It looks like to show a pictrue here, you must upload it to another website and then link to it with HTML. Kind of a pain it the butt. Some what the same idea as linking to my other forum, you can see pictures of my engine in the A2Z forum I posted above. I will add a picture of the mystery part asap.

I found links to a site through type2.com people (thanks type2.com) that are very helpful too. here it is, check it out if anyone needs diagram info.
http://www.bug-bits.freeserve.co.uk/ramva/fiche/ft2.htm
http://www.bug-bits.freeserve.co.uk/ramva/#engine
http://www.bug-bits.freeserve.co.uk/ram ... 201820.gif

Mark.



[This message has been edited by Northwest 1,2,3 (edited 01-25-2003).]

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:19 am
by Northwest 1,2,3
I believe the mystery part is a temp cut off to the EGR so gasses will not get recycled when the engine is cold. This looks to be true from the diagrams in the post before. Here is a picture of the part in question http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread ... #post12245

The other hose from the forward side of the firewall that Y's off of the brake booster line was said to possibly be a AT option and needs to be plugged when using MT (from type2.com) I'm not sure of this yet because there was a tag on the line from the person who removed the engine, unfortunatley the tag was 10 years old and the ink has faded just as all the tags did.

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:21 am
by Northwest 1,2,3
Scott, I am new to the type2.com and BusBarn here. Did I notice your name in the threads from Type2.com as-well?

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 9:10 pm
by Northwest 1,2,3
I have a decel valve. The Line I'm having trouble with now is the vacuum retard from the distributor.

Are there two nipples on the throttle body? I have the vacuum advance connected to a nipple on the throttle body that is on the forward side pointing up at the fuel tank. My throttle body has a electronic position sensor attached to the bottom of it too.

So your saying that I need to unbolt the throttle body from the air distributor and there will be a second nipple hiding on it to connect my vacuum retard?

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 11:30 pm
by germansupplyscott
yes.

i looked at the photo. one side of this valve goes to the EGR valve and the other side goes to - well, i have no idea. i'm going to say it goes to where the egr valve hose would go if this little valve was not in the circuit. i don't think this should be in the circuit with the brake booster. the brake booster has the decel valve feed in its circuit. do you have a decel valve?

scott lyons

[This message has been edited by punkinfair (edited 01-26-2003).]

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 3:17 pm
by 66split
northwest where are you at in bham?

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 5:42 pm
by germansupplyscott
you don't have to unbolt it to see the nipple, only it is really hard to get a hose on the nipple with the engine in the bus. there is just no room to reach in there. but make sure you have the nipple before removing the throttle body. i posted the link on type2. here it is again:

also, what year is this bus?



http://homepage.mac.com/punkinfair/.Pic ... um%20Pictu res/2003-01-27%2008.30.54%20-0800/1183.jpg


scott lyons

[This message has been edited by punkinfair (edited 01-27-2003).]

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:56 pm
by Northwest 1,2,3
I am in Geneva, halfway to SuddenVally from town. I live by the old Geneva School,now called The Waldorf School.

My bus is a '76, I think the door sticker says it was built in '75. Here are some pictures of the air distributor and engine shots. http://www.a2zautoforums.com/showthread ... #post12275


Scott, I don't have the vacuum nipple on the rear side of the throttle body as yours does or the nipple between pipes 1&2 on the A.D.

And on more thing, your engine is to nice and clean looking, makes mine look awful!

I have a local shop here that works primarily on type4 bus's and the guys are very cool. I'll try them tomorrow and see what they have to say.

[This message has been edited by Northwest 1,2,3 (edited 01-27-2003).]

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 9:08 pm
by germansupplyscott
mark,

i am lost now, mark - i don't know where the retard on your bus goes. "e" for effort...i will look at some books to see if there is a picture of your year.

scott lyons

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 12:44 pm
by vwbusman215
I have a '76 bus also. I have long time since gotten rid of the stock distributor b/c mine was really worn out. Now I have a mallory since vac adv unit, but from what I remember, and I don't know if it is exactly correct, but my vac canister had two nipples and one was connected to the TB and I believe the retard part was connected by a plastic "T" into the vac line that runs from the fuel pressure regulator to the intake air distribution box, where the FI intake runners connect by the short rubber pieces. This is what I remember, but its been awhile. Maybe it will jog someone else's memory to confer of disagree.


------------------
Casey
www.angelfire.com/tx5/76vwbus

\'76 bus vacuum lines, help needed.

Posted: Tue Jan 28, 2003 6:21 pm
by germansupplyscott
casey,

that sounds right to me. i can't imagine how the bus would run with that much retard, especially using full manifold vacuum. my later bus has a nipple on the TB for ported retard vacuum. anyhow, i would ditch the retard altogether. just leave the nipple on the distributor empty, and time it like a single vacuum setup.

scott lyons