Page 1 of 1
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:09 pm
by Floyd
My 65 is making a strange noise.
Sounds like its coming from the front beam or something.
A thump sound when I start to roll and sometimes when I stop.
Usually when the bus goes up or down suddenly.
I hope it's not time for a rebuild. I'm gonna give it some grease and see if that helps.
Any suggestions?
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Thu Sep 26, 2002 6:41 pm
by DesiJae
Make sure everything is tight! I just went through this with a ball joint front end and come to find out the ball joints were loose.(not tightend) You have a link or king pin I think but check evrything, could be a loose shock or the spindle locknut may not be tight. Nothing worse than hearing a noise and not knowing what it is.
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:07 pm
by Floyd
How many lubrication points are there on the front susupension?
I want to grease and lube the hell out of it to extend its life.
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 12:48 pm
by DesiJae
There should be four grease fittings on the front beam, two on top and two on the bottom. When you look at the beam they sit at like the four o'clock position looking at it from the pass to drivers side and just keep pumping in grease untill you see it start coming out on the sides. Really easy. I do the front beam about every six months.
------------------
I'll make it work..
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 2:51 pm
by Floyd
Thanks!
I need one of those Benley Manuals, $100 -Ouch.
What kind of fluid do I add to the steering box?
I'ts leaking so I know it needs some fluid.
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 4:25 pm
by Floyd
Well I jacked her up to take the load of the joints. Greased all the fittings and the ball joints too. Man was she thirsty.
Found the steering slop in the right solid tie rod. Need to replace that right away.
Everything else felt solid and looked good.
Still need to fill the steering box.
Does it take the same fluid as the tranny?
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:05 pm
by DesiJae
I'm not sure about the steering box since I have never had one go bad or need any help. Check some of the earlier posts since someone I'm sure has had the same question. Once the tie rods are tight it's like night and day after it's done. Makes driving a VW so much more nicer.
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Fri Sep 27, 2002 6:24 pm
by 70westy
the steering box takes 90 weight gear oil
------------------
70westy
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 10:04 am
by Floyd
On an early bus, of the two tie rods, one is adjustable and the other is solid. Can the solid one be replaced with and adjustable one?
I found some at the Bus Depot for about $27.00 versis $40 for the solid version.
Is this OK to do?
[This message has been edited by Floyd (edited 09-30-2002).]
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:07 pm
by Pillow
There should be more than 4 grease nipples up front. 5/6 on the beam and then a few on each side for the stearing knuckles.
The steering box takes normal tranny fluid GL-4. Available at NAPA in a Sta-Lube brand. Dunno how to change it
As for the steering arm. That is a regular repair item on older busses. Try Ronnie at Old Volks, he knows his stuff.
PS: Get your butt out to Maui Taco on Wednesday night!
Good Luck!
------------------
Adrian Pillow
'66 VW Westfalia - "Biscuit"
'67 VW Deluxe Westfakia - "Dino" - FS
'79 Porsche 911 SC - "Cochese" - FS
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 1:18 pm
by Floyd
Maui Taco?
I missed that thread.
Fill me in or send me a link please!
Thanks.
Bus goes \"Bump\"
Posted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 6:56 am
by Pillow
http://www.peachstatetransporters.com/
That should have directions and all the good stuff.
Later,
Adrian