My next drag beetle build.

Post pictures of your pride and joy here!
joosep

Re: My next drag beetle build.

Post by joosep »

panel wrote: Fri Nov 04, 2022 5:24 pm Will you be making the intake manifold ?
For my car YES, I'll make intake and exhaust. Have done few turbo plenums, some itb setups and tens of exhaust manifolds. Actually its the easiest part of that car and not worried about that at the moment. Planning exhaust as direct as possible / split entry. Liquid intercooler will be with icebox mounted in front. Wouldn't needed with methanol or under 30PSI with ethanol but this time we go between 40 and 45 PSI and still ethanol. Its all based on that it really needs that power and it puts that down (we race on concrit and its prepped no more than 1/8th usually so you cant go insane after that.
joosep

Post by joosep »

Sorry, no post some time but a lot of work done in computer. Hope to order chassis parts and start with suspension in few weeks maybe.
Also ordered honda supertech springs for my saab engine and, ARP studs, got Girdle cutted out and now waiting for studs to renew the engineblock.

You better check it:
https://youtu.be/sD8N2nIzqh0
;)
joosep

Post by joosep »

One important point for me, its on its rear wheels :)
A lot of modifications compared with last car.
This time its 40cm tighter :) That was the main reason for inline engine.
Docol R8 is amazing and it comes really light.
There are less antisquat points because we learned that we never go under 100%. This time we have 100 and 120% variants with AS (last cars min was 75 max was 95)
Learning the TIG welding, so its not perfect but it holds - I'm sure :)

slayer61

Post by slayer61 »

Joosep,
I'm very envious of your fabrication skills. :shock: Outstanding craftsmanship! Keep up the inspirational work.
joosep

Post by joosep »

I´m not a great welder with TIG, thatswhy I avoided stainless steel.
I´ve done tens of manifolds, but never with straight pipes and with correct split order.
Maybe I´ll try long header next year and gonna move the turbo to other side but this time I´ll try as short and straight as possible.

Typ 4

Post by Typ 4 »

Lovely build, I'm sure there are a lot of guys on here that would like to see an update :-)
joosep

Post by joosep »

Typ 4 wrote: Sun Jul 23, 2023 12:50 am Lovely build, I'm sure there are a lot of guys on here that would like to see an update :-)
I´m sorry, I had one bad crash while tuning one car and I broke nearly 20 bones, included my back, neck, 6 ribs, scull, nose, lungs etc, . I´m recovering and walking already after 5 weeks. I hope to start working with my car on winter and try to do everything I can to finish it for spring. I let you know when I get something done :) At the moment I have to stay in recovering hospidal and do my exercises and rest but I really want to go on with that build.
Kafer_Mike

Post by Kafer_Mike »

joosep wrote: Mon Sep 11, 2023 11:55 amI´m sorry, I had one bad crash while tuning one car and I broke nearly 20 bones, included my back, neck, 6 ribs, scull, nose, lungs etc, . I´m recovering and walking already after 5 weeks. I hope to start working with my car on winter and try to do everything I can to finish it for spring. I let you know when I get something done :) At the moment I have to stay in recovering hospidal and do my exercises and rest but I really want to go on with that build.
Wow! Sorry to see that. And good that you are on the mend. You know what they say to do if you get kicked off a horse... :wink:
"Build 'em fast...or let 'em sit"
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Isn't that value based on who does the kicking? :roll:

Horses and I have never gotten together well.

Lee
Kafer_Mike

Post by Kafer_Mike »

Ol'fogasaurus wrote: Tue Sep 12, 2023 8:15 am Isn't that value based on who does the kicking? :roll:

Horses and I have never gotten together well.

Lee
Yup. You give them a choice -- It's you or 'glue'. :lol:
"Build 'em fast...or let 'em sit"
VolksRodT

Post by VolksRodT »

Hope you heal well, & fast. So far, from what you mentioned, you're doing extremely well.
I understand about healing & the time it takes...
I do appreciate your work, & updates - when you can do them. Thanks.
Marcus...
joosep

Post by joosep »

Got the cooler finished, and intake going, welded by my friend (Thatswhy I don´t try to do it myself on aluminium)
Now I need to roll few intake parts and finish it up, ad a throttle and make a 1 short pipe from cooler to throttle.
The head is also almost together after I get the grinded valve lashes (I´ll go with solid lifters this time)
If you want to see the updates quick you need to check my facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/WhlsUP

joosep

Post by joosep »

It goes really slow but now got intake welded (by my friend) and made a brakets for cooler.
Also got new 80mm throttle (10mm larger because it has thick shaft inside and 70 would be too much resistance when target is near 800hp and one day maybe a 1000. Intake plates were rolled from 4mm aluminium and welded as good as possible, should hold up to 4bar of boost but I'm quite sure my first target comes under 3. Also I have 400kpa map sensor in my own ecus (Estecu)
It all quite tight because there are only few mm between pipes and frame, ic and frame etc but that´s how it was planned and I´m happy to see it all fits.

Chip Birks

Post by Chip Birks »

Looks awesome!
BugUgly

Post by BugUgly »

The intake design is ingenious for its use of bends and flat rolls. The craftsmanship on all of it, the SS, the aluminum, the frame, all amazing.