1971 Rusty Revival part 1

VW underneath a classic Italian body design.
Schweg

1971 Rusty Revival part 1

Post by Schweg »

08 Dec 2021

Hello all! I have a tale for you. I inherited a baja bug from my parents with a 1600cc it was a great car but it sat. Fast-forward 2 years I had a new born kid and life was pushing me out of motorcycles as I was not riding so I sold all of them off and started to focus on my baja adding EFI and a turbo to it. Had fun and learned a lot!

Why is this in the Ghia section well, as I learned about air cooled VW’s I fell hard for these Italian looks and German power plant of the Karmann Ghia and I decided to sell the baja and look for one. I ended up finding a neglected one at a local VW shop that was abandoned. After some negotiations and some state paper work I liberated the car and I am now working on getting it back on the road.

I had time to wait for the state to issue a title so I ordered parts and set up what I hope is a killer build.

This car will have a 2276 Turbo EFI engine running through a 3.88 pro-street transmission. I’ll document that in a different section . I have staggered fuchs wheels and the appropriate drums and hubs to go with. All in all the car is rusty! I replaced a half pan on the drivers side and will have to do some patch work on the passenger side. Mind you this is a hold over for a true pan replacement in a few years when I can really get into a garage and work on it. I am currently only able to store and work on it out side. Looking foreword to building my forever car.

Chip Birks

Re: 1971 Rusty Revival part 1

Post by Chip Birks »

Glad to see you with a new project! Looking forward to see where this one goes from here!
Schweg

Post by Schweg »

Looking forward to having a runner again! We will see what I can get done!

I have the wire to pull the fuel line run so just need to fish it through.

Then hope to get the transmission in and mock up my engine.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Schweg wrote: Tue Dec 14, 2021 11:38 am Looking forward to having a runner again! We will see what I can get done!

I have the wire to pull the fuel line run so just need to fish it through.
Take a piece of string and put a knot in one end that is big enough but not too big to go through the tube. Tie the un knotted end of it to the gas line, put the knotted end in the tube then using your air nozzle blow the knotted end of the string through the tube then pull the fuel wire through the tube.

Assuming the tube is OK and the knot is not too big or small things should work out.

Lee