Rayjay help please

With Turbo and Super charging you can create massive horsepower with vw motors.
Jeffygonewild31

Rayjay help please

Post by Jeffygonewild31 »

I have a little understanding on turbos, looked up the numbers of this turbo, for a stock 1400-1600cc I need help on how to put together, missing parts? I clearly don’t understand it. It’s a drawl thru setup? Wanting to leave stock carb and stock fuel pump on it. Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Clonebug

Re: Rayjay help please

Post by Clonebug »

I posted on that other site but had to edit it due to commenting on the wrong pictures.

You have what looks like an adaption to a VW intake...how it would work is not really clear to me and you would have to sort of mount it on an engine to piece together how it would fit.
It is a draw through setup and the question is how they had it all fit and what carb they used.
I would hazard a guess they used a sidedraft Weber or Dellorto....more than likely a 40-45 sized carb.
I have not seen that setup in any old magazine a book that I own or have read.
MadMike might have seen something on it.....he's an ancient individual...... and might have seen something since he's been into VW's probably longer than most........

The numbers on the turbo suggest it is a 40 size turbo which is the larger of the two turbos that are fairly popular. Without seeing the measurements it's difficult to say if it would work but I'll wager a bet it is too big for a 1600. The size of the tubing suggests a larger CC engine is required to make it spool for any kind of streetable power.......but I could be wrong....draw thru is a different beast than blow thru.......
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.
madmike

Post by madmike »

:lol: never seen anything like that set up , looks like two different set ups,??
I would sell it and build something that is known to work :wink:
Jeffygonewild31

Post by Jeffygonewild31 »

Thanks gentleman I’ll do with that information as I can haha
V8Nate

Post by V8Nate »

Very interesting setup, looks like a modified progressive intake(looks like a old bugpack) does the carb flange also connect to the pipe that is welded on? The cast piece that's silver looks like a air cleaner base. Does the flat flange with the pipe welded to it match the flange for the idf/side draft adapter? Would have been wild to see it in its prime!

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

Clonebug

Post by Clonebug »

If the turbo spins free there is nothing to stop you from putting it together.
All it takes is a little engineering and some fabricating......but every turbo setup requires that.
That kit is probably 70's-90's vintage so it is quite dated and parts would be impossible to find. The turbo is not that uncommon and it looks to me it was used in many configurations including turbo aircraft from the little googling I did.
I think Corvairs used that turbo on their draw thru 180 hp car in the mid 60's so who knows what vintage that setup is.

If you are up for a project and have a vintage VW you want to make even more interesting you can install it as originally as you want for a great eye catcher or conversation piece. Even better would be to get it to run good for a fun driver.
I would guess you could get around 8/0 lbs. boost out of it without too much trouble if the turbo size is correct for the engine... any more will required a retarding ignition system which would be a little difficult on a draw thru setup.
The best would be a Megajolt or Megasquirt ignition if you really want to get serious but then it just starts a whole new can of worms to upgrade to more boost and power.

Do some research and decide how serious you want to get.........boost is an addiction and can't easily be satisfied.

You will find if 8.0 lbs is good........what would 10 be like... then 12.... 15....20.....and on and on....

I've been turboed since 2011 and have tried two engines, 4 turbos, carbs, two different ECU's, Water Injection and intercoolers to work up to 26.5 lbs. boost for my personal best.........it still isn't enough........all with a 1679cc engine. I've driven 50,000 miles with a turbo VW.
Read a few of the builds here to see what we go thru in our addictions......
My build is on here at 230 pages over almost 10 years.........it's still fun. The best setup to have is one that drives nice and is reliable.....it can be done.
Stripped66 wrote:The point wasn't to argue air temps with the current world record holder, but to dispel the claim that the K03 is wrapped up at 150 HP. It's not.