65 bug....ej22.....subie trans qurstions

Are you one of those confused people who can't make up their mind?
Owl Slayer

65 bug....ej22.....subie trans qurstions

Post by Owl Slayer »

hey all.....first post but been lurking quite awhile. I've been searching posts and reading a bunch but still looking for help.
I have a 65 bug....bought a low mile ej22 and a converted harness. I was going to just use the 6V trans with a Kennedy adapter but I'm having second thoughts. If a do the subie trans with subarugears conversion how much modding of the swing axle will be needed to make it useful/reliable?
Just gonna be a cruiser, no plans to race it.....but I live in the mountains with lots of twisting roads......
Suggestions, advise, input would be appreciated
Thanks, Jim
shermer-high

Re: 65 bug....ej22.....subie trans qurstions

Post by shermer-high »

You'll need to convert it to IRS. Many people convert to IRS for other reasons.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

th1JKHKPZS copy.jpg
thHGLR37WU copy.jpg
The lower pix tries to give some ideas on wheel travel but the top one also should show the tires arced in the opposite direction also. With the arc fixed like in the swing axle trans, the tire contact pattern also goes from pretty much full contact to less contact as the suspension travels up and down. Also, on a hard braking situation as the weight of the vehicle transfers forward the rear weight gets lighter (somewhat) and the suspension rises some reducing the tire's potential pattern on the road (there are other aspects to this also).

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Owl Slayer

Post by Owl Slayer »

Thank you......purchased a 1970 rolling pan to use for the project
shermer-high

Post by shermer-high »

Owl Slayer wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:44 pm Thank you......purchased a 1970 rolling pan to use for the project
Same year as my pan with the Subaru 5 speed. I used the hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinder from the Subaru I got the drivetrain from.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The start sounds good but you will probably have a lot of decisions to make in the process. I have been going though a similar problem but for a start I would weld the seams of the trans mount to make them stronger for the additional load of the engine. Then there is the truss/Kaffer bar to be added.

Are you going to be rough riding it in the hills: if so there might be several other things you will want to do (not trying to scare you off as the finished thing should be a ball to play with).

Lee
Owl Slayer

Post by Owl Slayer »

Lee I'm open to any and all input, suggestions
I plan to weld the new pans in solid, will be building my own kafer type bracing for the trans......I work in automotive mfg so have access to fab, machining, and skilled welders......will be doing much of the fabrication in house so to speak.......will probably start a build thread soon
Owl Slayer

Post by Owl Slayer »

Lee I'm open to any and all input, suggestions
I plan to weld the new pans in solid, will be building my own kafer type bracing for the trans......I work in automotive mfg so have access to fab, machining, and skilled welders......will be doing much of the fabrication in house so to speak.......will probably start a build thread soon
Owl Slayer

Post by Owl Slayer »

shermer-high wrote: Thu Oct 01, 2020 4:52 pm
Owl Slayer wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 6:44 pm Thank you......purchased a 1970 rolling pan to use for the project
Same year as my pan with the Subaru 5 speed. I used the hydraulic clutch master and slave cylinder from the Subaru I got the drivetrain from.
thats exactly my end plan
Owl Slayer

Post by Owl Slayer »

The revised plan is to install the ej22 with the irs pan/trans......then down the road I'll build the motor with a turbo and install the subie trans conversion........should be fun
Owl Slayer

Post by Owl Slayer »