Swing axles

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
Bunky67

Swing axles

Post by Bunky67 »

I broke an axle on my drag car (swing axle 26 11/16 ) and I'm not able to find a pair of sway a ways and don't want to spend the money for the EmpI ones. And I'm nervous about using a used axle not knowing what side it came from.

So does anyone know of a source for new stock axles?
Bruce2

Re: Swing axles

Post by Bruce2 »

You can always tell which side an axle was used on by the wear on the spades.
Stock axles have no place in a drag car.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Bruce2 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 6:19 am Stock axles have no place in a drag car.
So true and for so many reasons mostly safety for you and others!

Lee
Bunky67

Post by Bunky67 »

I agree I'm only running a 1915 with a small turbo and street tires. So do now stock are ok. And like I said If I could find some sway a ways they would be going in. But no luck so far and don't feel like spending twice the money on EmpI that probably aren't much better than stock.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

https://www.racereadyproducts.com/axles ... irs-axles/

I knew they were expensive but didn't realize that they had gotten this expensive. Still... for your and your cars safety plus, maybe, the safety for others I would start a savings account (no insult intended). I've seen what broken axles can cause at launch or even down the track (street :shock: ) breakage in cars causing a swerve to one direction or the other. I've even had to dodge a 4-speed trans when sitting watching the races at the finish line (found out later that the starter decided to engage. This was back in the old days... maybe in the late or early 60's but the unexpected can happen.

Lee
richie,uk

Post by richie,uk »

Bunky67 wrote: Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:36 am I agree I'm only running a 1915 with a small turbo and street tires. So do now stock are ok. And like I said If I could find some sway a ways they would be going in. But no luck so far and don't feel like spending twice the money on EmpI that probably aren't much better than stock.
But you broke a race axle? so really stock aren't good enough just based on that
Bunky67

Post by Bunky67 »

No stock axle