2.9l street engine build

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
MegaRookie

Re: 2.9l street engine build

Post by MegaRookie »

It look a day longer before I had the chance to test it again, and after adjusting the clearance from VR to triggerwheel I fired it and the engine ran! For 3 seconds, and it wouldn't fire anymore...

I found out really quickly that the fuse of the ignition was blown (I had no idea what it needed so I left the COP one of 7,5A in there, which seemed to be too small. I replaced it with a 10A one and it started right away. :D (don't know of thats the proper size??)

This first attempt was with wasted cop settings (didn't get a trigger signal last time, so I tried that one) and without exhaust. :D

Next step will be waiting for the exhaust, over all checking (log of the first try, rocker play, oil level, leakage etc.) and after that cam break in time!

Cant wait to run it on the street! :D
Udo Airbus

Post by Udo Airbus »

HI Mark, any updates?
VW T1 1964 - Mouse Grey - Pearl White OG paint

Bagged, Porsche steeringrack/brakes..IRS, 1915cc
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

any updates??
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Thanks for your reply guys! To be honest, yes, I have a small update. But I didn't have much time due to other projects. Begin of March the engine ran for the first time, but I had some troubles with the ignition (fuses where blowing every few minutes) and also the throttlecontrol wasn't possible to adjust it properly.

I hope to have a new throttle (cable) control done in a few weeks and I will also mount a 009 for now, to have the ignition problems solved.

I keep you updated!

Kind regards, Mark
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Hi guys, a small update (from a while back).

After assembly of the exhaust:

And the engine finished just before the first 15-20 minutes run

I hope i will have the engine with the new throttle control finished next weekend. Then Ill post a new (more up to date) update. :-)

Mark
Tony Z

Post by Tony Z »

WOW!!! Looks lovely
Eddie010

Post by Eddie010 »

That underside picture looks mean..
Eddie010

Post by Eddie010 »

Mark,
can I ask you something.
Trail fitting everything reveals the nuts are not completely over the head studs.
Did you use these ones for longer head studs. https://aapistons.com/products/type-4-1 ... nch-longer
Are they ok.

Oooh and another did you use longer push rod tubes.
I like the longer csp ones... but they are expensive... pffff

Thanks in advance.
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Thanks guys!

In the meanwhile the throttle system is finished, for now only some checks and assembly of the other ignition system, and its hopefully ready for the street!

@ Eddie, no problem. I used the AA studs. They are nice quality and came with apr nuts. For pushrod tubes I also really liked the csp ones, but due to price I chose the ones from EMW. They are also very nice quality and long enough for my application.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

Kind regards Mark
Frallan58

Post by Frallan58 »

Thanks to you Mark for a nice build and very informative sharing. Good luck!
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Thanks Frallan!

Just some pictures of the new linkage. I got the idea of the sync link, but build my own version.

It took some heavy spings to have the cables put back to idle position, but for now it works. Maybe in the future an update regarding this.

Mark
Eddie010

Post by Eddie010 »

Mark,

Could you send me a link to the EMW long pushrod tubes, I cant find them on their website.

Sorry another question, but how do you use your magnetic distributer, it seem connected, (the 3 wires), but no leads to the plugs?
And I see a coil pack mounted to your breather box.

Regards Edgar
Frallan58

Post by Frallan58 »

Eddie010 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 pm Mark,

Could you send me a link to the EMW long pushrod tubes, I cant find them on their website.

Regards Edgar
The best way to deal with EMW is to call or write/e-mail to George/Jorge and ask. They have 95% of everything you need and have surprised me positively over the years with good service, good products.
Eddie010

Post by Eddie010 »

Frallan58 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:40 pm
Eddie010 wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 11:15 pm Mark,

Regards Edgar
The best way to deal with EMW is to call or write/e-mail to George/Jorge and ask. They have 95% of everything you need and have surprised me positively over the years with good service, good products.
Thanks Frallan, will do that.
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

@ Eddie

http://www.europeanmotorworks.com/pvw/0 ... shrod+Tube

Regarding the ignition, I use the distributor only as cam trigger. The trigger rotor is modified so it only has 1 of the 4 trigger signals. I use it in my MS2 ecu for sequential ignition. And the coil pack is used for ignition. For now it doesnt work like it should, so I take a step back to oldschool 009.

Mark