2.9l street engine build

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Eddie010

Re: 2.9l street engine build

Post by Eddie010 »

Aha thanks for the link.
Oooh your using it as a cam sync, now I understand.
Pitty it isn t working, I have a CB cam sync if you want to use that one for testing let me know.

Regards Edgar
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Thanks Edgar,

The cam sync works fine, its the coil thats eating fuses. And also causing not a very fine ignition (I saw the same thing with my previous engine on the MS2 on the O2 readings) So I guess it has something to do with the MS2 or wiring. Something I will check when the engine is back on the road. For now just get it running properly and making some kms with it!
GARRICK.CLARK1

Post by GARRICK.CLARK1 »

I'd like to drive a bug, same everything apart from an ignition change. Pertronix 1 basic distributor and coil vs ms2 big coil.
Just to see if the improvement is worth it.
dstar5000

Post by dstar5000 »

MegaRookie wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 4:09 am Thanks Edgar,

The cam sync works fine, its the coil thats eating fuses. And also causing not a very fine ignition (I saw the same thing with my previous engine on the MS2 on the O2 readings) So I guess it has something to do with the MS2 or wiring. Something I will check when the engine is back on the road. For now just get it running properly and making some kms with it!
DO YOU HAVE A BAD COIL.... MEASURE OHMS...

DON
‎"Let me say it as simply as I can: transparency and the rule of law will be the touchstones
of this presidency,".. Barack Obama January 21, 2009, 30 minutes before he signed the law
sealing all his personal information....
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Thanks Don, that was also what I thought with my previous COP setup, so I guess its in the wiring since I still have it with the new Hella coil.

Well see, but first get this thing on the road with the 009. :D

@Garric Clark, good to hear you have good experience with the setup. I really look forward driving it.
blue thunder

Post by blue thunder »

How much dwell time are you running with these COP's? 9 out of 10 times, COP's need less dwell time (1.5 to 2ms) compared to an old DIS coil (3 or more ms).
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Thanks Robin, I will check the settings of the coil I used. For now the 009 with replacement for the points works fine. Yesterday I had some time to take it on the road. :D

The fuelmap still needs some work, but so far it runs really great very strong but easy to drive! :D And I also like how the throttle control works. Really easy to adjust, way better than the push/pull one I had!

Mark
Eddie010

Post by Eddie010 »

Cool :D
Eddie010

Post by Eddie010 »

Any updates.
Do you like the engine, does it run properly.
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Hi Eddie,

Last year I had some fuel pressure issues with the efi and while testing the fuel pressure regulator started to leak. So I dicided to go back to the basics, 48idf, and since then the engine runs great. Only had to replace the battery and lambda sensor.

Didn't drive it much km's, but everytime it makes me (and also the kids) smile. :D

This winter (after finishing the convertible) I will do some checks, maintenance and minor upgrades. The location of the oil cooler can be better, now it is located beside the gearbox, which was ok for my old 2l,, but this engine needs a bit more cooling of the oil.

I'll post some pictures soon on the road.

Kind regards Mark
Wally

Post by Wally »

Hi Mark,

Verry curieus what your set-up would do on a dyno. Any plans for that?
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Hi Walter,

Yes, I am also very curious what it does on the dyno. But for now all my spare time (and hobby money) goes into finishing the convertible. So I have to wait till spring, or Ill wait until it is back on fi again, well see.

But if you know when there is a dynoday again, please let me know. :-)

Mark
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Good day Mega Rooke,

How is the car coming along, how is the engine?
MegaRookie

Post by MegaRookie »

Well... I must confess that I didn't drive it for allmost a year. :O I have been working on other projects for some time, but I picked it up at the storage again last week. Need to do some small modifications, but only on the oil system and dashboard.

There is a dyno day at the end of August where I will go with this car, so I really want it running, but I hope that I will have some time left to get it back on EFI. :-)
Passatman

Post by Passatman »

Ok would love to know the power output when you are done.