Porsche powered Bus and 915 Transmission

The quintessential people and stuff mover.
dpetteng

Porsche powered Bus and 915 Transmission

Post by dpetteng »

So, my van is coming along nicely. Has a 3.2 1985 911 flat six, 915 gearbox, air ride etc.

Trying to figure what drive shafts will work. I think the 915 transmission is wider than a type 2 transmission so I assume I need shorter drive shafts but not sure what will work.

I also know I need to change the transmission end CV joint for a 915 style one but that is easy.

Anyone done this before? What drive shafts will work?
ajdenette

Re: Porsche powered Bus and 915 Transmission

Post by ajdenette »

you should try to get some measurements to get a true idea of how much wider the transmission differential is and then look up the axle shaft lengths for bays, Vanagon's, type 4's, and porsch 944's. the Vanagons and I believe the bays used two different length axles on the Auto's so keep that in mind.
Alex

|_________oo_oo
/ /__/____[_____\
I I======[]IIIIIII[]
()_)-----()_)----)_)
dpetteng

Post by dpetteng »

makes sense. I can measure my 915 but I no longer have the 1971 vw transmission. Anyone got one they could measure?
Jadewombat

Post by Jadewombat »

When I did the IRS swap on my bus I had to get custom axles. I used a bug IRS trans. and thing axles stubs (meaning I changed a lot of stuff around). I then measured cup to cup and subtracted 1/2".

Don't try to guesstimate. Measure what it actually is on your bus.

It was an offroad place I ordered the axles from. Can't remember the name, but it was reasonable.
dpetteng

Post by dpetteng »

Thanks, fro measuring it looks like 911 axles will work but will be checking and checking again