Going Honda

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
ninelives17

Re: Going Honda

Post by ninelives17 »

You will enjoy them everytime you sit in the seat.
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

ninelives17 wrote: Sat May 30, 2020 6:49 am You will enjoy them everytime you sit in the seat.
Thanks I sure hope so.

So making headway on the wiring, I’m liking it. Just hope when I put power to it I dint let any magic smoke out of anything.

So I need some opinions on fuel pump and filter mounting. I was going to use some fancy go fast aluminum mounts but then how I place them would be hard to get to. What about using the shock mount rubbers and hose clamps? 2 for the pump and one each for the filters. See a problem in that?
56FE20D9-9FB8-451A-A4F3-2F470AC81B4B.jpeg
Getting close on the wiring.
56DD0AE2-BD72-48F3-A3C5-56D12E293768.jpeg
7F5C4BD4-694E-48ED-AF03-C3620DCECDEE.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Gone are the days of 5 or 6 wires then you are off to have fun :roll: :wink: .

Lee
Tom in PA

Post by Tom in PA »

Lee, I was just thinking the same exact thing!
Leather, awesome job on the wiring! Looks great. But I did start thinking, remember when a buggy had like 5 or 6 wires total (half of those for the lights)?
My only concern with the shock mounts and hose clamps would be getting enough pressure to hold everything still without putting too much pressure on the outside of the pump.
CentralWAbaja

Post by CentralWAbaja »

Looking good David!

Make the filters accessible, bury that pump you will never need to access it. HA!
It is not Mickey Moused.....It's Desert Engineered!
STOICH

Post by STOICH »

Leatherneck wrote: Fri May 29, 2020 8:07 pm I’ll be lucky to do half that. It has a Rev limit light that I’ll use more then anything. These gauges are loads better then I had, wiring them has been and well restringing all the wiring has been time consuming but worth while I think.
If I may lend my .02$ here- I have found that building seperate looms is a way more manageable attack to this. I used to try to be fancy like the mags back in the 80s. I learned loads from Mario in the Megasquirt talks. I build one loom soley for running the engine with it's own connectors wrapped in it's own fancy colored loom stuff. Then rear lights loom their own color etc. My first EFI venture was a wreck. Just a thought
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

It’s a great thought.
dustymojave

Post by dustymojave »

STOICH wrote: Wed Jun 03, 2020 9:27 pm If I may lend my .02$ here- I have found that building seperate looms is a way more manageable attack to this. I used to try to be fancy like the mags back in the 80s. I learned loads from Mario in the Megasquirt talks. I build one loom soley for running the engine with it's own connectors wrapped in it's own fancy colored loom stuff. Then rear lights loom their own color etc. My first EFI venture was a wreck. Just a thought
Yup. Stoich has a good idea there. Separate looms for engine, lighting, etc. When I re-wired my Baja back in the mid 1970s, I put a terminal strip on the right side of the firewall for the engine wiring, and another on the left side of the firewall for the light wiring. Still glad I did it that way 45 years later.
Richard
Lake LA, Mojave Desert, SoCal
Speed Kills! but then...So does OLD AGE!!
Tech Inspection: SCCA / SCORE / HDRA / ARVRA / A.R.T.S. OffRoad Race Tech - MDR, MORE, Glen Helen BajaCup
Retired Fabricator
'58 Baja with 955K Miles and counting
Leatherneck

Post by Leatherneck »

That is a good idea. I will have separate looms for light system, engine and comms. Here is where I sit now. Engine I bought has some lingering problems from previous owners so it is being pulled out and set aside for parts, wiring is a mess too so basically back to the drawing board.
18BD2760-88E6-41DA-AE82-F40B18CA968E.jpeg
25411DDA-DC1D-4839-A1A6-401784C07B82.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Copy of Dune Buggy rebuild 10-11-06 002.jpg
I did the wiring on my blue buggy differently... kind of old fashion; e.g., or more minimalistic like. I ran the charging cable hot cable forward through a 50amp a circuit breaker (VW did not fuse this line) close to the starter to the front for the idiot light and an Ammeter then back to the starter so I could see charge and draw which is an old way of doing things but it gives me an idea of how much draw vs. charge (if it is charging or there is an electric drain more than the system can off-set. I then mounted a circuit breaker box that I bussed into to circuits to have both a hot all the time circuit and a key' d circuit; the hot circuit would be like for the CB or anything I wanted to be able to switch on even if the key was not in place. The rest of the circuits would be so when I switched the key off everything went off.
Copy of Dune Buggy rebuild 10-11-06 005.jpg
I think this is for the lights but not sure now. Been too long since I did it. I think there are a couple more joins but not showing them.

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view ... ajaxhist=0

With all the extra stuff people are using now I would move the circuit breaker box only to the rear not to keep the wiring short as there is a gauge change needed for the length of the wire.

Lee
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Slight OT: Are there wireless gauge solutions? For rear-engined cars that would be handy.

I only find them for OBDII.

Max
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Max, try this search: https://www.bing.com/images/search?q=wi ... &FORM=IGRE

The search was "wireless gauges for automobiles"

I hadn't thought of this before so the question was something new and sounding reasonable to look into. Sounds like it could be a good idea.

Lee
Max Welton

Post by Max Welton »

Awesome. Thanks!

Max
Skidmark

Post by Skidmark »

Leatherneck wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:41 pm Engine I bought has some lingering problems from previous owners so it is being pulled out and set aside for parts
Oh, do tell! Was the intent to use this engine only for mounting mock up in the first place? Are the lingering problems bad enough to relegate it "parts only" status? It is beyond repair?
"Your car sounds angry, and it wants to go fast all the time..."
(quote from my daughter, after driving my car)

It's not complicated, it's just expensive...
chuckput

Post by chuckput »

Skidmark wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 7:57 am
Leatherneck wrote: Mon Jun 15, 2020 2:41 pm Engine I bought has some lingering problems from previous owners so it is being pulled out and set aside for parts
Oh, do tell! Was the intent to use this engine only for mounting mock up in the first place? Are the lingering problems bad enough to relegate it "parts only" status? It is beyond repair?
YES! Inquiring minds need to know!