shielded wires and plug to go through firewall

Fuel Supply & Ignition Systems
ekacpuc

shielded wires and plug to go through firewall

Post by ekacpuc »

I haven't been able to find the answer, perhaps because I'm over thinking it but I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the wiring.

I have a baja that I would like to convert to megasquirt and was wondering how well the shielded wires work going through a plug (like a plug at the firewall). Does it make it more prone to "noise"?

I would like to put everything behind the back seat and run a short cable to a plug in the firewall that's easily accessible in the engine bay. That way I can do a nice little wiring harness on the engine side and if I want/need to pull the motor I could just disconnect the plug..
66brm

Re: shielded wires and plug to go through firewall

Post by 66brm »

DIY do a bulkhead panel that would be suitable
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

ekacpuc wrote: Wed Aug 07, 2019 2:50 pm I haven't been able to find the answer, perhaps because I'm over thinking it but I'm trying to figure out the best way to do the wiring.

I have a baja that I would like to convert to megasquirt and was wondering how well the shielded wires work going through a plug (like a plug at the firewall). Does it make it more prone to "noise"?

I would like to put everything behind the back seat and run a short cable to a plug in the firewall that's easily accessible in the engine bay. That way I can do a nice little wiring harness on the engine side and if I want/need to pull the motor I could just disconnect the plug..
The buggy I am currently working will be wired similarly. The battery is back there, the charging unit is back there but tradition is in the front. Just make sure you use good grommets and protect wires going through to protect the covering over the wires (stating the obvious of course)

Lee
ekacpuc

Post by ekacpuc »

66brm wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:26 am DIY do a bulkhead panel that would be suitable
Not sure what you mean but it doesn’t sound like you got my question. I want to have the ability to unplug the harness from the engine bay and drop the motor. One plug..

Thanks to the other poster about the buggy info. I figured it would be okay, it’s a small section that wouldn’t be shielded but I wasn’t sure.
66brm

Post by 66brm »

Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

To pass the shielded wire through the bulkhead you will need to use an extra pin for the shield and jumper the shield to a pin for pass through, then repeat on the other side. Remember to only ground your shield at the ECU not both ends.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Make sure that the connector will work with the different wire sizes and not be too small or too large for the wire gauge.

I also add a circuit breaker on the charging line (VW did not do this) and make it go forward a circuit breaker box then to the ignition switch then back to the starter. This way I can have both switched circuits and hot circuits. Off-road that can be a worthwhile thing to have.

For what it is worth... Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

I still don't know what was limiting my engine at low speeds but I did look up the one I had.
DSCN1046 copy.jpg
DSCN1047 copy.jpg
It is a Bosch 1234332(2) and found out that it is a rev limiting rotor and remembered that I did do that. That was back in the mid-90s when I built this 1776. It has a regrind cam that is considered an RV (at the time) cam; high lift but short duration and the max HP/Torque comes in in the low 5000 range. There are marks/dark spots on the rotor and on two of the posts in the dist. so I wonder it there might have been some interference there or too much of an arc on the other two posts. Anyway, with the new stock cap and rotor plus new wires it is a different sounding and running engine.

A couple of pix when on the dunes. I was only out there for a few minutes but with the engine running differently it almost a completely different buggy in some cases. They are not in order as taken:
leebuggy-5 copy.jpg
leebuggy-9 copy.jpg
leebuggy-5 copy.jpg
leebuggy-9 copy.jpg
The last one is an almost full suspension compression.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.