003/090/010 Automatic parts/tech data

Notches, fastbacks, squarebacks.
Piledriver

Re: 003/090/010 Automatic parts/tech data

Post by Piledriver »

ep additives on the atf side would almost certainly result in slippage and a full rebuild with new frictions...
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

As a tangent to this thread, I have been pondering how Marty was flipping the diffs to make mid-engined 090s.
One part of the deal is the governor is plugged, a manual valve body is required.
The other half requires drilling holes/installing studs etc where there may or may not be any meat to do so,,,

The second part I think I figured out... Had the welder running, strangely not car related, and decided to clean a noncritical spot on the rib on the bellhousing and see if the diff was cast iron or cast steel... zero preheat, nailed it hot and fast .030 flux core, made a nice bead. Tried to hammer it off...
finally ground it off... no discernable transition zone, if it was typical cast iron it should have damn near popped off by itself once it cooled...right???
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

OK, some part# crossing weirdness found today...

the 003 pinion bearing, vw# 003 519 251 (a-d) crosses to m86649/m86610 (cone/race)
Thats a std part# for the bearing: multiple companies make that standard bearing set.

The problem is that for some weird reason, timken and koyo have a bearing with a leading "H" in the part#
(hm86649/hm86610) that is ~4mm larger in all dimensions. The logic behind that escapes me.
So I have some really nice bearings that doent fit anything Make great paperweights, at least the price was reasonable..
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

The 003 pinion bearing set turns out to be commonly used in many, many applications.
(GM, VW and Jeeps at least)

bearing pinion x2
vw 003519251 (a-d) crosses to:

spicer 706894X (dana30) pinion bearing kit M86649 M86610 drivetrain america.com
national pinion bearing cone and cup M86649 M86610
Last edited by Piledriver on Sun May 23, 2021 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

What parts do I need to mate a type 1 engine to a 010 transaxle? Is there a combination of t3 flex plate that will work?

I was told by a local that T3 automatics are 3 bolt and T4 flex plates are 4 bolt where they fit the torque converter (maybe I have that backwards).

I want to put a vanagon 010 in my baja bug and use a type 1 engine.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

You ~only need a t3 flexplate, you probably want a 090 transmission from a later bus or Vanagon.
It will then just bolt up, you may need to trim the case a bit to get to the flexplate bolts...
OK, you will need some longer studs and bolts like from a T4 or WBX.

Copying the WBX or t4 design with an access hole in the engine rear flange would be easy and probably safer/faster
than duplicating the t3 block access cutout on the bottom.
Which is best for you (due to fan housing in the way) depends on your setup.

Starter differs a bit as well, a 9 tooth Jetta VR6 automatic starter is 2KW gear reduction and will spin over an ice cold diesel rapidly...
(TDis use essentially same starters, the automatic TDis literally exact same starter as VR6 auto)
Takes a few moments with a rat tail file to adjust the bolt hole locations a bit.

An 010 is the FWD mk1/2 Golf version, although it could be used as the center diff in a mid engined AWD rig.
(just not with a boxer motor) The "automatic" can sections are mostly the same, the diffs are the biggest difference)

I stuffed a recently acquired rebuilt 090 with with Audi/Porsche guts in my old 86 Vanagon "Shed" this afternoon.

Looks like I need all of the dozen valve seats replaced on the new low mile motor for it due to severe pitting.
(apparently common issue with cast seats)
Trying to find the copper infused powdered metal jobs.
Last edited by Piledriver on Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Ripped the 003 diff apart to replace the ring and pinion, looking for the smoking gun.
the governor seal was in the right place and orientation.
(ordered 4 in viton, double lip versions, std size metric seal)

The pinion seal---the easy to get to one- was out when I separated the trans can from the diff.
(the shaft it seals stays with the diff, so it had to already be out of position)
there was no pinion end play, the bearings all looked great, esp considering the teeth on the gears were half gone.

Damn thing is a metal cased seal, I guess its going in with red loctite this time.
need to make sure the vents are venting.

003s only have the one seal on the shaft between diff and trans can: 090s have two face to face with an external drain for an effective air gap.

Hasn't gone back together yet, needs a lot of cleanup, back to work starting tonight.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

Is there anything I need to know about 8 dowel drilling a t3 flex plate? Same process as a flywheel?
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

Should be no different.
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

OK, calling Ray???
What recurring replacement diff<>atf seals need replaced on an actual 010? All the damn exploded parts views I can find seem to be an 087.
(010==actual mk1/2/a few mk3 fwd golf/jetta automatic)

This info is needed for completeness, plus I'm losing atf into the diff on my cabriolet... an ounce of WS2 seems to be keeping it alive along with regular sucking diff dry and replacing the gear oil, but the bunny trans diff setup is a spur gear so it doesnt die as quickly or easily.
Still need to get it done RSN.

The tq converter seals and stub axle seals are a given, and one end of the input shaft at least seems to get the same inner pinion seal as a 003/090. Governor shaft seal same...
I assume it has a similar back to back seal set similar to the 090 diff on the pinion/diff input shaft.(?)

Trying to avoid taking it apart just to see what I have to order...

Found some nice viton dual lip seals for the governor shaft, std metric seal, 10X19X7mm.
(that is right for the 003 or 090, have yet to find a part# listing for an 010 governor seal)
Piledriver

Post by Piledriver »

OK, yanked the 010 out of the cabriolet, including the info for completeness.

The 010 governor setup is completely on the atf side plumbing wise and does not have a shaft seal at all, just a cover seal oring.

The inner/hidden pinion seal is the same one the 003/090 takes, crosses to timken 223010, although that is a rubber case seal and not the metal case od the original is. IIRC the National version of same part# is correct metal od.

The inner seal is 010 409 529d. it is a solo seal unlike the dual seal with airgap/drain in the 090.

The tq converter seal is different vs the 003/090, metal shell goes over the od of the boss.
010 409 568 a
There is also a seal oring around the tq converter side bearing housing setup as well as 2 smaller orings to seal off the atf feed and drain from tq converter.