Maiden race for #110 and victory. Post race report
Posted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 12:32 am
Extreme festival Zwartkops Post Race report
After the previous test session at Red Star Raceway we decided to up the front spring ratio and give Superbug #110 a little more boost.
Monday 20/3/2017
Arrived early at the track in order to get some track time before it gets too busy. #110 passed technical inspection without any issues. Just after 8am I got to drive #110 for the first time with the new springs and higher boost. It did surprise me!!! I quickly realized that this thing is going to be scary fast. It's no joke going through turn 3 sideways at 170km/h. On the 4th lap out the boost suddenly went away, which turned out to be a boost pipe that blew off.
2nd session out, the track was still relatively cool and I got a couple of clean laps without any traffic. The car is perfect. Max oil temp after the session 75'c.
https://s18.postimg.org/chy7yaqy1/fr_371_size880.jpg
Tuesday 21/3/2017
Qualifying at 9:20am, the track is already quite warm and there is a lot of cars on track. Lap after lap I battle to get a clean section with all the traffic. Nine laps in the car starts to develop fuel surge... I only added enough fuel for 6 laps as I did not expect to stay out that long. This was good enough for 7th overall with a 1:11,662.
https://s18.postimg.org/sxxhqjld5/fr_363_size880.jpg
Race 1 - 13:10
I got a really good start and managed to get up to 4th on track after two turns. There was a major scuffle between the first three cars. Four laps in saw the safety car come out due to a Porsche 924 that was stuck on the exit of turn 1. The restart caught me sleeping which was a blessing in disguise as there was another scuffle going into turn 2 and I managed to make up another position. Going up the hill I managed to sneak up on the turbo 944 and make a move on his inside through turn 5. I was now in 2nd place overall just behind the primera. We went over the line and going through turn 1 the red flags came out. Race stopped due to a Porsche boxster that expired on the main straight and there is oil everywhere. The race finish was declared one lap back and we finished in 3rd overall with a twist... the nissan primera received a 30 second jump start penalty. Best lap time 1:12,108
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgHmrvtvgVQ&t=119s
https://s18.postimg.org/xxuxyhqzt/fr_364_size880.jpg
Race 2 - 16:35
#110 on the first row!!! Porsche 944 turbo in 1st. Already wary of how strict the COC is regarding jump starts I lay back and make sure to only get onto the gas after the lights go out. This gives the 944 a good gap and he immediately goes defending, so I go to the outside in a "days of thunder moment".
. We sit door to door through turn 2, 3 and turn 4 which gets the commentator Greg Molony quite excited. The turbo 944 pulls a slight gap up the hill and enters turn 5 in front. Turn 6 I show him a nose and we touch, I hang back and let him take the racing line. Turn 8 the 944 goes defensive again and I take the high line and exit turn 8 with momentum that even the star ship enterprise would be proud of.
. We pass the start finish door to door, both drivers giving each other enough gap. Superbug #110 drives right around the outside of the 944!!! We enter turn 2 and I manage to pull a huge gap on the 944. The crowd goes absolutely crazy... the driver too.
. With a slight gap on the Porsche I decide to short shift #110 and drive as smooth as possible. During these laps I get the fastest lap time of the race 1:11,012... smooth = fast!!! The remainder of the race feels like an eternity, on lap 6 I catch a back marker and for some reason he decides to come back at me before turn 5. (remember this car is a lap down). Luckily something happens and I manage to pull away from him, as I look in the mirror all I can see is drama with the back marker seemingly blocking the 944 and turbo polo.
. He just ruined a good dice. We go down the hill and on the exit of turn 8 something happens and the back marker spins out. Last lap!!! I simply drive #110 as smooth and careful as possible not wanting to ruin a good race for myself. Everything goes as planned and I cross the finish line in 1st place!!!! What a feeling, debut race for #110 and a first place overall. It truly felt like a maiden victory.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYwLZAGYZSI&t=156s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfNJudiZPlc
https://s18.postimg.org/xmdhlqajt/fr_365_size880.jpg
The return lap back to the pits was truly emotional. Fans standing, waving, bowing and shouting. I was in awe. Never in my racing career have I seen anything like that.
A big thank you to everyone involved. Thank you to my dad for building the best race car any driver could ask for, my support crew, family and exceptional fans. THANK YOU!!!
https://s18.postimg.org/wy4n2sbu1/fr_366_size880.jpg
https://s18.postimg.org/4zf2pnzl5/fr_367_size880.jpg
https://s18.postimg.org/5dgep9jop/fr_368_size880.jpg
https://s18.postimg.org/z7xcraa5l/fr_373_size880.jpg
After the previous test session at Red Star Raceway we decided to up the front spring ratio and give Superbug #110 a little more boost.
Monday 20/3/2017
Arrived early at the track in order to get some track time before it gets too busy. #110 passed technical inspection without any issues. Just after 8am I got to drive #110 for the first time with the new springs and higher boost. It did surprise me!!! I quickly realized that this thing is going to be scary fast. It's no joke going through turn 3 sideways at 170km/h. On the 4th lap out the boost suddenly went away, which turned out to be a boost pipe that blew off.
2nd session out, the track was still relatively cool and I got a couple of clean laps without any traffic. The car is perfect. Max oil temp after the session 75'c.
https://s18.postimg.org/chy7yaqy1/fr_371_size880.jpg
Tuesday 21/3/2017
Qualifying at 9:20am, the track is already quite warm and there is a lot of cars on track. Lap after lap I battle to get a clean section with all the traffic. Nine laps in the car starts to develop fuel surge... I only added enough fuel for 6 laps as I did not expect to stay out that long. This was good enough for 7th overall with a 1:11,662.
https://s18.postimg.org/sxxhqjld5/fr_363_size880.jpg
Race 1 - 13:10
I got a really good start and managed to get up to 4th on track after two turns. There was a major scuffle between the first three cars. Four laps in saw the safety car come out due to a Porsche 924 that was stuck on the exit of turn 1. The restart caught me sleeping which was a blessing in disguise as there was another scuffle going into turn 2 and I managed to make up another position. Going up the hill I managed to sneak up on the turbo 944 and make a move on his inside through turn 5. I was now in 2nd place overall just behind the primera. We went over the line and going through turn 1 the red flags came out. Race stopped due to a Porsche boxster that expired on the main straight and there is oil everywhere. The race finish was declared one lap back and we finished in 3rd overall with a twist... the nissan primera received a 30 second jump start penalty. Best lap time 1:12,108
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgHmrvtvgVQ&t=119s
https://s18.postimg.org/xxuxyhqzt/fr_364_size880.jpg
Race 2 - 16:35
#110 on the first row!!! Porsche 944 turbo in 1st. Already wary of how strict the COC is regarding jump starts I lay back and make sure to only get onto the gas after the lights go out. This gives the 944 a good gap and he immediately goes defending, so I go to the outside in a "days of thunder moment".
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PYwLZAGYZSI&t=156s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WfNJudiZPlc
https://s18.postimg.org/xmdhlqajt/fr_365_size880.jpg
The return lap back to the pits was truly emotional. Fans standing, waving, bowing and shouting. I was in awe. Never in my racing career have I seen anything like that.
A big thank you to everyone involved. Thank you to my dad for building the best race car any driver could ask for, my support crew, family and exceptional fans. THANK YOU!!!
https://s18.postimg.org/wy4n2sbu1/fr_366_size880.jpg
https://s18.postimg.org/4zf2pnzl5/fr_367_size880.jpg
https://s18.postimg.org/5dgep9jop/fr_368_size880.jpg
https://s18.postimg.org/z7xcraa5l/fr_373_size880.jpg