Page 1 of 1
alternator stand
Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 4:42 pm
by Merkfalc
Does the dtm stand work with a joe cali conversion? Looks really nice compared to other stands, and it has the oil fill already on it.
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Mon Nov 02, 2015 8:56 pm
by Piledriver
Its a great foundation, but as no two Cali conversions are identical, fully expect to have to modify it.
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:20 am
by Merkfalc
Bummer. Don't know how to weld so I thought this would be better than the cip stuff.
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:32 am
by Piledriver
The mods required would probably involve a file, not a welder.
The Cali conversion is literally built around the gen stand, so as long as its in about the right place, rigid and sealed its all good.
The one I built for my sons car used a slab of 1/2" aluminum plate, a smaller bit of same hanging underneath for the 8mm through bolt with a pair of 10mm bolts for the clamping action.
The rest consisted of a sawn off T1 alternator stand, and a big seat retention T bolt from a Bus, originally used to hold down the back seat. (A std 10mm bolt would have worked, but I had that handy)
It bolted together, and provided significant front/back, side to side and rotation adjustment for the belt alignment, vbelts run fine with the pulleys at a small angle, as long as the vertical plane lines up. Reverse the alt pulley.
Once I had everything made/alignd it came apart, cleaned, base block surface roughened and JBWelded in addition to the bolt to keep things from moving.
The stand was made with a sawzall, files, and a drill and a 10mm tap in an hour or so.
The wife and I did a round trip to Florida soon thereafer in his car with no issues, he had cam/lifter issues so I slapped it on a 1700 I had (and still run, now an 1800 in my squareback) it held up and I had zero issues, despite the very extended high speed run.
I don't have easy access to my sons car, but I will try to find a picture.
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 6:17 pm
by Merkfalc
I thought of using some sort of epoxy but wasn't sure if it would hold up to the heat and vibrations in the compartment. We're you able to put a fill on also?
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Tue Nov 03, 2015 10:07 pm
by Piledriver
Yes, I adapted the factory T1 filler/breather to the base with a 8-12" section of 3/4" pipe threaded in on both ends, using a section cut off about 2" below the breather can (still has the internal nut), bottom screwed into the 1/2" plate.
The epoxy was mostly for anti-vibration/sealing purposes: it was quite rigid without it.
The stand attatched to the plate just behind the breather tower IIRC,
The filler/breather is towards the center of the motor.
No issue as there is no center mount carb.
I used a Mr. Gasket SBC bent dipstick tube and flexible dipstick (cut down and re-marked) to clear the alternator better.
I can't find any pictures, this was before ~everyone and their dog had a cell phone, 2002-2003 ish.
Will try to get a picture next week, need to pay a visit anyway.
It's a
Very simple to make setup.
Joes Manual has the required dimensions.
(just cut it a tad tall and sneak up to it with a sander)
We didn't own a welder at that time so the everything was bolted or pop-riveted together.
It held up fine.
We'll probably revisit that this fall, based around the same gen stand.
Between the two of us we have so far acquired a Lincoln 220v Mig, a Thermal 181i (mig/tig/stick), Thermal 70A plasma cutter, and a Miller Syncrowave 250, so we might actually find a way to weld it this time.
The only thing "bad" about a Cali conversion is now I'm short two sets of T4 cooling tin.

Re: alternator stand
Posted: Wed Nov 04, 2015 3:47 am
by Merkfalc
Sweet, sounds like I'm going to have to get some metal and start throwing something together!
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:04 pm
by Piledriver
Got some pics of the stand this evening, its been resting in a barn for the last 10 years until he gets back to it.
This was very quickly hacked together as it had a tight deadline at the time.
The base is a 4"x5"x1/2" aluminum plate
The rest is a cut down std T1 alt stand, with the top section of the breather cut off and moved to center on a hunk of pipe.
No welding was involved. You can just make out the nut in back, a Tbolt from Bus seat holds things together, but ~any 10mm 8.8+ bolt/washer/nut setup would do.
The 17mm bolts heads go down tot the "lockdown" bit of 1/2" aluminum, the part the crosspin goes through, this clamps everything to the top of the tower.
This actually would look fine it it hadn't been under a tarp in a carport then barn for the last decade.
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 5:46 am
by Merkfalc
Thanks for the pictures. Looks pretty good as it stands for not being welded. Looks like it sits pretty flush also.
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 3:32 pm
by VIPERGREEN76
Piledriver wrote: ↑Sun Nov 08, 2015 8:04 pm
Got some pics of the stand this evening, its been resting in a barn for the last 10 years until he gets back to it.
This was very quickly hacked together as it had a tight deadline at the time.
The base is a 4"x5"x1/2" aluminum plate
The rest is a cut down std T1 alt stand, with the top section of the breather cut off and moved to center on a hunk of pipe.
No welding was involved. You can just make out the nut in back, a Tbolt from Bus seat holds things together, but ~any 10mm 8.8+ bolt/washer/nut setup would do.
The 17mm bolts heads go down tot the "lockdown" bit of 1/2" aluminum, the part the crosspin goes through, this clamps everything to the top of the tower.
This actually would look fine it it hadn't been under a tarp in a carport then barn for the last decade.
IMG_1712.JPG
IMG_1719.JPG
IMG_1721.JPG
Can you update the photos? I can't get them to download to view.
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 8:28 am
by Piledriver
Well, I apparently cant edit the old post, so this will have to do...
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 2:45 pm
by Ol'fogasaurus
I did some editing as I was curious about some things:
fan-stand-top[1] copy.jpg
fan-stand-side[1] copy.jpg
fan-stand-rear[1] copy.jpg
fan-stand-oblique[1] copy.jpg
Lee
Re: alternator stand
Posted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 4:58 pm
by VIPERGREEN76
Thanks guys for up dating the photos. Its a big help for us rookies.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DQI-h6S ... 1V&index=8
Great video of modifying a CSP alternator stand for a oil filler tube.