Page 1 of 1
Double 7 Chumpcar race at Barber!
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:16 am
by jbbugs
If you're in the area of Birmingham Alabama the weekend of August 22-23, My Buddies and I will be running The Chumpcar World Series Race at Barber Motorsports Park. Stop by, check it out, and get Hooked!

Re: Double 7 Chumpcar race at Barber!
Posted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 3:27 pm
by FJCamper
Hi Paul,
We'll be there to visit you.
You will love Barber, it is a hot rod VW track. You couldn't ask for better.
I'm guessing you have a full set of drivers?
FJC
Re: Double 7 Chumpcar race at Barber!
Posted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 9:40 am
by jbbugs
FJCamper wrote:Hi Paul,
We'll be there to visit you.
You will love Barber, it is a hot rod VW track. You couldn't ask for better.
I'm guessing you have a full set of drivers?
FJC
Glad to hear you're coming Frank. Yes, I've actually had an excess of willing drivers. I hear nothing but Good about the track. I can't wait. I'm going to PBIR for some testing next Thursday. Still have some suspension issues to work out. The car handles good, but there's always room for improvement.
Re: Double 7 Chumpcar race at Barber!
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:08 pm
by jbbugs
Wow,
What an Awesome Facility to race at. We had a Great weekend. Finished 22nd out of 56 cars. We could have made up a few positions with pit stops alone. This place has got to be one of the nicest tracks in the Country.
Re: Double 7 Chumpcar race at Barber!
Posted: Wed Sep 09, 2015 4:00 pm
by FJCamper
Hi Paul,
I see you posted a 1:55 best lap in traffic. Very, very, good. Imagine what you could have done with pure race rubber and a few more Chum drivers who were not scared of corners!
For the readers, RetroRacing has an official 2:02 at Barber and unofficial 1.58 with a 1600cc Karmann Ghia on street tires. and most full-race 356's run in the 1:50's there.
The #54 Bug is very fast and well driven.
FJC
Re: Double 7 Chumpcar race at Barber!
Posted: Thu Sep 10, 2015 4:57 am
by jbbugs
Hi Frank,
We had a new driver in the car that has been racing go carts for 15+ years. That Kid drove the wheels off the #54.(The Guy in your pic) He felt there was more in it, and said he could have pushed it further than he did. Before the race, I kept beating into his head to Not tear up the car. He's never driven in any races like these before. I guess being younger and fearless turns out better lap times. I couldn't drive it as fast. My best laps were 1:59's. We switched from the Dunlop tires to Hankook RS-3's. Awesome tire! Only trouble is, Tirerack.com is out of them for the entire season. We have no Spares. Had to pick up a couple BFG Rival's to fill in.
Onward to Sebring on the 26th this month. Got a few things to do to the car.
I LOVE Sebring!