Page 1 of 1
Rounded dog teeth
Posted: Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:41 pm
by Bruce2
]Normally when I see dog teeth rounded like this, I throw the synchro cone away. But this one is EB welded onto a 002 0.82 4th gear that I want to use. What is the effect of this wear on shifting?
rounded dog teeth.JPG
Re: Rounded dog teeth
Posted: Tue Jul 29, 2014 8:46 am
by Pablo2
The only effect is that it will sometimes bump one tooth before engaging. You can feel this. No biggie.
The drive flank is also worn. If you use a brand new slider, you'll safely get away with using it. Otherwise, it could be a crapshoot.
Re: Rounded dog teeth
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 8:57 am
by raul arrese
Pablo2 wrote:The only effect is that it will sometimes bump one tooth before engaging. You can feel this. No biggie.
The drive flank is also worn. If you use a brand new slider, you'll safely get away with using it. Otherwise, it could be a crapshoot.
whats the draw back on the flank wear ?? when is it 2 much and how do you know ? thnks
Re: Rounded dog teeth
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 4:09 pm
by Bruce2
If you look at the top right corners of the dog teeth, they are rounded a bit. The top left corners are sharp. Also, you can see on the right side there is an imprint of the teeth of the slider. All this wear is on the "drive" side, and eventually it can lead to the slider pushing out of engagement. IOW, it pops out of gear.
Re: Rounded dog teeth
Posted: Thu Jul 31, 2014 9:39 pm
by Pablo2
I'm amazed at the flank wear I've gotten away with in my Syncro transaxle (somewhat rare factory .78 4th gear) .. but it's only because I installed a new slider. I'd never chance it with some else's trans.
Re: Rounded dog teeth
Posted: Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:56 pm
by Bruce2
The gear above is now installed in a car and I've driven it. It shifts fine and doesn't pop out of gear.
Re: Rounded dog teeth
Posted: Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:47 am
by Henryhoehandle
The flanks are worn somewhat, but they still appear wedged to me. I think it will last a fairly long time before it starts popping out.
Re: Rounded dog teeth
Posted: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:57 am
by raul arrese
Nice to know , looked horrible but works good ... thanks