What to do with 1.7 Type 4 in 356 Speedster?

This is the place to discuss, or get help with any of your Type 4 questions.
Piledriver

Re: What to do with 1.7 Type 4 in 356 Speedster?

Post by Piledriver »

You can also get the factory seals from GoWesty IIRC. (could, no idea of current status)
Addendum to Newtons first law:
zero vehicles on jackstands, square gets a fresh 090 and 1911, cabby gets a blower.
EZ3.6 Vanagon after that.(mounted, needs everything finished) then Creamsicle.
Mave

Post by Mave »

Well, the leakage(s) seems to be fixed. The tine leak at the pulley was most likely caused by a tiny irregularity on the pulley-hub. I replaced with another hub.

The big leakage was caused by the seal coming out of the block?!?! It extended about 2 mm from the casing, whereas I'm 100% sure I mounted it flush. I used sealant to “lock” the new one in place, and up to now it is not leaking. But no clue how it got out. It was rubbing against flywheel, and didn't look pretty…..

Fingers crossed now….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Do some measurements of the hub and seal to make sure of tolerance. Also check for "end play" on the "shaft" and the block. I've seen similar problems before, if I remember correctly the problem was very small but too much for what was gooing on (had any of the parts or area turned?).

Lee
raygreenwood

Post by raygreenwood »

So I went back a page and looked in this thread and you do have the 12mm seal recess. You originally used an 11.5mm seal and had issues. That could easily be the seal quality or something else.

But you noted the next seal was the normal 10mm seal and you installed it flush. That will cause issues. When you install a 10mm seal in a 12mm recess...flush....it is not seated on anything. This can allow it to slip sideways...cocked...as the case expands or if there is any fretting of the case. When this happens it will be dislodged and "squeeze" outward.

The correct seal for the 12mm recess is the vanagon seal and is part # 021 105 245 C or 029 105 245 C

The one you do NOT want...is 029 105 245 B. This is the 10mm Vanagon seal.

The 245 C "should" be right at 12mm but from brand to brand I find them at 11.8 down to 11.5mm.

As a reminder, here is my thread on this:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewt ... 09#8604309

Ray