Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Offroad VW based vehicles have problems/insights all their own. Not to mention the knowledge gained in VW durability.
Ol'fogasaurus

Re: Report from the southern Oregon Dunes

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Forest fire smoke from WA, OR and CA mixing with heavy off-shore fog today from the Canadian border in into California. The fog itself was so heavy (think) that what stuck to the Spruce needles that when the wind came up a bit it was like a heavy rain (the Spruce trees are over 100' tall).

The fog would drift out but the smoke had a tendency to hang around some but it was like this from Seattle WA (where the worst air quality in the world today and Portland OR was #3) to farther down south.

Worked hard yesterday and got the first job finished so today it was into town to pickup some stuff then rest. Tomorrow on to the next task and another of the group is scheduled to show up.

Getting old isn't easy, next week I will hit 80... whew, that alone tires me out just thinking about it!

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Made a 400 mile trip down to the dunes today. Left at 5:00 am as it was just starting to lighten up. We had sun, rain, snow, hail, rain and snow mix, rain and hail mix, rain, snow and hail mix along with sun being out the end few miles of the trip. Got here at 1:40 in the afternoon. Whoof!

Got some repair work to do here but since we only have a couple days on this trip, no riding is to be done.

It looks like they have had a bit of moisture in the air due to the mud everywhere so I would expect the sand to be heavy for a while.

The dunes camping areas are starting to fill up with riders but haven't heard (engine noise) anyone out there yet but again... it is just Wednesday.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

What a trip back home. I walked out of the when all of a sudden, a very heavy rainfall started. The rain drops came straight down and splashed up more than a few inches high and they were very easily felt through heavy clothing as the drops were so big and heavy so they fell very hard and heavy. We had to finish loading up then had to wait for the drops to lighten up before we couldn't drive in the rain.

The rest of the trip was rain, heavy and light all the way up just past Portland OR but we did make it back safely.

The good thing is a problem we didn't know about shown itself so that had to get fixed while the heavy rain was still falling. Whew!

Talked to some of the people down there and a girl got hurt out on the dunes, but no one knew the "what, there and why" of it. From talking to some of people down there, since the new commercially built and sold off-road toys has come out the driving on the dunes has gotten so bad and dangerous a lot of the long time riding people are not coming down anymore (and they have the rigs that are most of the problem). Like I said a while back, I have seen adults sitting in a toy with a kid at the steering wheel and he was pushing the loud pedal. My Honda pilot has been hit I think 4 times now and the extra tie-rods I had in reserve are now all gone and Honda does not have/carry them anymore.

Lee
bikesndbugs

Post by bikesndbugs »

Something about the commercially built cars tears up the desert a lot.
They are cool and i'm not sure if it is more people, a lot of power with small tires or the cvt slop.
Probably a combination of it all but I remember even 2017 when I was using my Baja whoops were rough but if you dropped into a wash it was smooth.
Last 2 trips out the washes have been so chopped out they are unbearable. Broke an engine mount off the frame of my f100 from so much bouncing and beat myself up pretty bad when I decided to take my dirtbike out. The truck was partially caused by poor design on my part but the dirtbike has nice suspension and it was near a 30 mile ride of pure chop. Hopped in the trophy truck test whoops for a second and it was smoother but I hit a square edge and swapped so I decided it was enough of that. Didn't want to make a hospital trip.

Do you guys have the chop issues up there? Best I can describe it is giant washboards.
tightly spaced but like 9 inches to a foot tall. I've heard some discussions about it by local shock tuners. They say its though to tune for and retain good characteristics elsewhere.

I don't hear a ton of issues with people crashing but I also stay away from the crowds. We stay a good hour ride from the decently busy areas and that doesn't even bring the traffic that Glamis does.
Travis
I spend way to much time on this site
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Rat race Idiom Definition

A rat race is a fierce, competitive way of life that involves pursuing goals in a repetitive, endless manner. The idea behind the expression rat race is a group of laboratory rats racing through a maze in order to be the first one to obtain cheese.

This term came from when the scientists were trying to find out if rats could find home in a maze they had built then when they did the move the blockages to see how long it would take the rat to figure out how to get home. There were often several mazes with in the maze box and a rat for each maze. This was going on when I was in high school as I remember.

When I was a kid rat racing was chasing each other through the streets and alleys and trying to block the other rig in the alley. Add to that street racing was done but drifting and other things like that wasn't really there back then.

This is an old term: the maze definition is true. You do also see this out on the dunes along with the normal stuff but done crazy. Now, on the rigs and I'm not talking about rails, buggies, quads, three wheelers and cycles (?) the radio is now turned on as loud as you can. You don't hear people on the trails coming towards you or other potentially dangerous situations.

Locals are more likely not to go out on the dunes on weekends or holidays. Most of the guys my age don't go out on the dunes much anymore but the younger ones do.

And yes, the sand has changed shape due to wind, rain and riders. A lot of the fun stuff is gone as are some of the dunes.
Copy of DSC02268.jpg
I usually just head to the ocean beach, pitch my tent, grab a soft drink and book then enjoy my stay. I usually do park between things like bleached tree stumps that come in from the sea's tide mostly in the winter, so they become barriers from the squirrels on the sand. Even the Sherriff stopped by me once to tell me how smart I was.

Lee
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Heading to the dunes this weekend (mostly a working trip for me) but we did get a warning from those already down there.

Hiway 101 is full of speeders and drunks from what has been in the local news. Drinking on the dunes (not legal) OK on the beach, yes (?) and off the dune area itself can be done. I guess there has been arrests for drunken driving and some accidents also due to this.

Even the trip down is a nightmare due to all the people on the road and all the way over the speed limit driving so be careful if heading somewhere on the main roads.

Be careful!

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

At the dunes now. A beautiful day so far.

We left the north Seattle area at 6 am yesterday and got here at noon, not bad for a 400-mile drive :D... so we survived. All the large towns we went through on I-5, Highway 38 and US 101 were remarkedly easy to go through.

Frome what I understand is last week was Nutsy-Fagen out on the dunes with all the drinking being done. Several people were arrested and tickets also were written. Down here holidays we ignore pretty much. Later this week we should expect a lot of fireworks and probably gun fire which has been pretty normal here.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

No clouds in the sky today but very windy.

The dunes have been very quiet as far as I can tell. You can hear things out there but not noisy or tearing things up... more just like enjoying things in a comfortable way.

The middle of the week and on the 4th I expect "whoof". Not sure what the weather will be then but it should be OK.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

It sounded like the "boomers" got here last night. There wasn't a lot of them let go but I think that even the 130' tall trees were shaken. :wink: :lol: We didn't see any bats flying either but then the wind was pretty strong and late into the evening.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Woke up to a heavy fog this morning but it is finally starting to "burn off".

Some boomers last night but we got some sleep. I think they were warming up for tonight :roll: .

The dunes are still fairly quiet considering this being a holiday.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The fog finally burned off and the sky is clear and blue (color changing a bit due to the sun going down but a nice but (cooler) windy day.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Not as windy this AM but still cool out.

Having troubles with the blue buggy and trying to fix them. Hasn't run for a long time and the brakes don't feel right so new brake fluid and re-bleeding them.

From what I have been told by the rest of the group (a lot of fixing with them too) the dunes were Nutsy-Fagen too. The older users are fading away and the newer ones are, as usual, learning things the hard way just like we did. One of the differences is the toys used, the commercially bought one are now the most common one vs. the two-stroke three wheelers and quads and rails, dune buggies and two-wheelers.

They, for the most part, are quieter but instead of CB's it is radios cranked all the way up. Frikken dangerous as you can't hear other rigs coming into the area one is at. Collisions are getting pretty common from what I hear.

Also very young kids sitting on their dad's laps steering while the dad is using the brakes and gas pedal. :roll: Looking around isn't one of the young person's ability or understanding and the dad is concentrating on what the kid is doing.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Very cool this am but sometime after noon it started to warm up.

The dunes aren't that busy or so I understand. I haven't been out on them for several years now due to a couple of problems with my blue buggy do to not havening help bleeding my brakes (rear disc only). The brakes felt soft and squidgy and didn't work or feel well. Got some new brake fluid a couple of years ago and it seemed not working well either. Found the problem today and it was that the right-side upper cylinder for the disc brakes somehow got a lot of air in it. Rebled the whole setup including the master cylinder and turning brake setup on the top of the pan tunnel.

Then finally got the engine running after sitting unused for such a long time. Next trip down it is maybe out on the dunes.

Also found out some bad new as someone got killed this weekend. 2-weeled motorcycle having fun went up one hill then tried the next one to it but it had a blind side (I forget the slang term use of it) he had something like a 30 foot or so drop and broke his neck. Best wishes to family and friends.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

The sun finally came out after 1:00 pm today. It is warming up and maybe will continue to stay this way for several days. It did warm up some what but still not like is can be.

Toys coming in for the weekend. It will be interesting just what is going to happen. I'm not on the dunes again this year as i forgot to bring my "off-road" insurance card. :roll: :lol: WE brought the one for the Pilot but somehow my buggy card got left behind.

Lee
Ol'fogasaurus

Post by Ol'fogasaurus »

Back home after a hard drive due to several things. Made fair time getting though.

The weather is still back and forth between good and not so good.

Lee