Page 1 of 26

200hp 1200DP Turbo 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 4:28 am
by Wally
I realised that I had not even mentioned my fun little project of the past year, which I hope to finish and dyno on 28th April 2012 at the pre-1.May dyno meeting in Germany, near Hannover

Two klasses: n/a and turbo and guess what I wanted to build?
Just two rules: 64mm stroke and 77mm bore (or +0,50mm oversize).

My build uses the following parts:
- stock 1200 crank, heat treated, balanced and elongated oil entry holes;
- stock-ish pistons, slightly better as used by Oettinger back in the day, NOS set in 77,50mm bore, but still cast, domed and all that. 1,75mm top ring though (original is 2,0 or 2,5mm).
- Webcam with bit more duration and a lot more lift, CB 31mm big-foot lifters, ACN HD alu pushrods;
- 1.1:1 original rockers, porsche swivel feet adjusters, HD shaft;
- DP 1300 (euro-only) heads, 35,5x33 stainless valves, mild porting by me, superfinished valve seats, Bugpack Ti retainers, BP 4046 valve springs (dual);
- 8.3:1 CR set-up
- case is AS41 'Hence en mexico' late case (1981) with 8mm studs (chrmo from CB) and case savers; center mains shuffle pinned;
- 215mm vanagon flywheel enlarged to 228mm to mate to my porsche G50 gearbox...(reconditioned sachs HD 228mm pplate, organic disk) with Berg flywheel bolt;
- 1600i Mex intake with 450cc Siemens injectors (pico style)
- Full DTA S60pro EFI set up as was on my car already;
- Mitsu TD04L-13T turbo with Tial 44mm external gate;
- intercooling air-air, WI and knock control, same as was on my T4, which is temporarily made place for this tiny engine:

Pics I wanted to post here needed to resize, but no time to do that yet. Latersss.

Aiming towards 200 hp, but this is so far into the unknown, that I have no idea if I can get close with this set-up at all...
I'll keep you updated

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:14 am
by supaninja
Awesome, I can't wait for the vids and results!

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:06 am
by Coyote
Wally, it's a little out the subject, but I would like to know your feedback about the DTA 40 EFI, because I am interested in a futur engine plan, and I am try to decide on what EFI system to use.
Thanks.

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:25 am
by Wally
Image

44mm Tial MVR external wastegate, also reused from the 2,2ltr T4. Unnecessary big, but great for making the small turbine housing on these more efficient and gain a few hp extra. Plus it has a multiple spring option and better boost control:
Image

@ Roadrunner: DTA S40pro is just as good, just without datalogging and some other features you may not want.
S40 also has closed loop fuel control like S60 and I can really say I like that feature most. Think hard if you don't want to spend the extra for datalogging (S60) as its very usefull in tuning :wink:

Back to topic:
The CNC-wizzard made some awesome fuel injector adapters so the regular 14mm injector fit, but modern small pico injectors like these Deka-Siemens will fit even better and it leaves more room for porting the otherwise horrible mex manifold:
Image

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:15 am
by fastback
very cool !

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:26 am
by supaninja
Those adapters are awesome!

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:48 am
by kubelguy13
So Nice! What an inspiring project. Gives me ideas for my freshly built 1300.

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:09 pm
by shag55
What power expectations are you hopeing for?

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:20 pm
by Wally
shag55 wrote:What power expectations are you hopeing for?
See first posting Shag, I know my basic turbo stuff by now like making a hp goal first when choosing a turbo :wink: :lol:
Hoping and aiming for 200hp...and have good milage as well :roll:

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:24 pm
by yvre
Finally! :D

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:07 pm
by brookester
Wally, what are you using for knock control?

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:30 am
by Wally
brookester wrote:Wally, what are you using for knock control?
J&S Safeguard, stand-alone.

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 4:36 am
by 13window
Vary cool.

must spend less time surfing and some time on mine.

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 8:51 am
by brookester
Are you using the universal version? Does it replace an ignition box? They don't have any pricing on their website. Do you recall how much they cost?

Re: 1200 Turbo EFI build 'Challenger motor'

Posted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:10 am
by hugging corners
1200 turbo way cooler than 1600
..and i see it coming "the new 1200 cult" -before only known to early european builders.
hell yeah 200h/p!!! I like this!...
I might consider building carbed 1200 turbo instead 1600 (being sarcastic about myself, but finally bought another new case as a base for the build- thanx marc for tips)
So wally- you say stock heat treated crank..-not balanced? or maybe it is not as inportant for 1200? (im still sorta a rooke)
Good luck please keep it coming!
HxC