tapping for full flow via the main oil galley?

Do you like to go fast? Well get out of that stocker and build a hipo motor for your VW. Come here to talk with others who like to drive fast.
1938vw

tapping for full flow via the main oil galley?

Post by 1938vw »

a guy has said this on another forum,
"It also has been drilled / tapped for full flow via the main oil galley so that a oil pump take off is not needed."
how does that work?
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
FJCamper

Re: tapping for full flow via the main oil galley?

Post by FJCamper »

Above, the purple line above represents the oil return hose from the cooler entering the case on the main oil galley. The red line represents the hot oil coming from the pump housing cover to the cooler.

Hi 1938vw,

He means the engine case has been drilled and tapped for a screw-in adapter on the main oil galley just to the left of the oil pump area as you look at the diagram.

The oil exits the engine by a fitting on the pump cover. The case has no fitting for the return and must be drilled.

Normally, the oil goes directly to the galley from the pump.

FJC
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

FJ, he quoted "oil pump take-off is not needed" I see it as meaning that a stock flat pump cover is used, and the oil is pushed into the case from the pump without change, then a fitting somewhere routes it outside of the case into a filter/cooler/whatever, and another fitting returns it back to the case. Not sure how you would accomplish this but I'm sure it's possible? you need to block the path somewhere inside the case. I never bothered to think about this but I suppose it could be done this way too.
Steve Arndt

Post by Steve Arndt »

It is possible. I think Competition Engineering does it for T3 engines. They install a modified plug in one of the ports that acts as a block off and outlet I think.

Someone here has posted pics before.
FJCamper

Post by FJCamper »

Hi 1938vw, Bugfuel,

I saw the phrasing "no oil pump take off is needed" and thought it was a misstatement, but maybe there is some internal-to-external-to-internal plumbing possible. I've never seen this, but there are lots of mods I've never seen.

What threw me was we have one main oil galley for the crank inside the VW case, and you can't reach it from the flywheel side. Must be a very clever device.

FJC
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

now let me see... you could tap the usual location for the RETURN line, cut threads deeper in the hole and screw in a plug, then use the old return fitting for an outlet.. pump would not be plugged, you use the 6" section of original passage immediately after the pump to provide oil for the first fitting. It would not get into the main oil galley because of the plug sitting in the same hole, a little deeper. Return line then... umm... maybe the ac.net return adapter for the oil pressure control valve location would work and feed oil past the internal plug I just described? I can't remember the case design in detail in that area. The a/c net adapter eliminates the factory oil cooler control valve functionality, all oil would go to the cooler all the time.
1938vw

Post by 1938vw »

Bugfuel wrote:all oil would go to the cooler all the time.
doesn't that cause cold start problems?
MY JUNKYARD 1600T BUG IS NOW ON THE ROAD, THANKS STF USERS FOR ALL THE HELP!
SEE MY ENGINE BUILD
HERE
MY YOUTUBE CHANNEL HERE
Bugfuel

Post by Bugfuel »

it would take longer for the engine to warm up, yes. Increased wear. Worse fuel mileage.
Tom Notch

Post by Tom Notch »

Yeah,that's it, and forward of the inserted plug (Flywheel is fwd.) is where the return ftg gets installed. This is used on T3s sometimes and some installs with clearance issues. or hate pump outlet covers.

Somewhere there is a pix of this style......

Bugfuel wrote:now let me see... you could tap the usual location for the RETURN line, cut threads deeper in the hole and screw in a plug, then use the old return fitting for an outlet.. pump would not be plugged, you use the 6" section of original passage immediately after the pump to provide oil for the first fitting. It would not get into the main oil galley because of the plug sitting in the same hole, a little deeper. Return line then... umm... maybe the ac.net return adapter for the oil pressure control valve location would work and feed oil past the internal plug I just described? I can't remember the case design in detail in that area. The a/c net adapter eliminates the factory oil cooler control valve functionality, all oil would go to the cooler all the time.
Tom

Tom's Old VW Home
DVKK
DSD, dark side disciples
GARRICK.CLARK1

Post by GARRICK.CLARK1 »

I'm trying the above method. Its what the owner wants, having read up on it.. don't like it ,but its on a bay and the engine bar is in the way for the standard method of full flowing
Bruce.m

Post by Bruce.m »

Old school method. Just uses standard hydraulic fittings. Stock pump cover.

Outlet at the usual return galley. Sink a plug to stop the oil taking the usual path toward the oil bypass section. Pump outlet is left open as stock.

Drill / tap / fitting into the galley next to the distributer. That’s the return. Oil bypass still functions, when cold.
UKLuke72

Post by UKLuke72 »

Bruce.m wrote: Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:29 pm Old school method. Just uses standard hydraulic fittings. Stock pump cover.

Outlet at the usual return galley. Sink a plug to stop the oil taking the usual path toward the oil bypass section. Pump outlet is left open as stock.

Drill / tap / fitting into the galley next to the distributer. That’s the return. Oil bypass still functions, when cold.

That's how my 2276 is
No tapered threads, all parallel with dowty washers. Far safer than tapered.
Cheap, steel, less bulky than aluminium