Page 1 of 13

The Journey of Jake - Lexi's Bus (Was: And one more added)

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:38 am
by Sneaks
So I traded the Super for this 73 tin top Westy. First thought was to make it a tow vehicle for the rally bug since it is orange but we've been looking for a bus for fusername's friend Lexi so after discussion and brainstorming, we set up a time last night for her to check it out.

She called it beautiful, which I think is a good sign. I liked her immediately, she has spunk and is very down to earth...a perfect bus person. She even curled up on the bed despite it looking rather nasty. If she decides to take it, it will be purple (YAY) and green. I Likey.

Ok, so currenty is isnt too pretty but it has good bones. fuser climbed under and over it and yeh, another NE bus with no major rot. They just seem to follow me home but they are going to make the west coast people think we are liars and whiners!

On with the pics.
first bath in 2 years

Image

All divine...

Image

spare parts

Image

sink and table clean up

Image

good floors, the seat is out cuz it was mounted to 1/2" pine with wood screws

Image

Image

2.0, runs but needs carb work

Image

Image

Nice wood. Ok, that sounds bad but...

Image

Hanging out with the family

Image

interior looks much better than it did

Image

that seat cover need to go

Image

playing with the sand blaster

Image

Citrastrip. Works excellent, smells nice and cleans up with water.

Image

Image

Image

Image

The rest of the family (minus the Mustang and Suburban and including Franz, cuz he's a cousin now)

Image

Re: And one more added

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:39 pm
by fusername
that is one fine looking yard...

sadly they sold the engine out of the CL bay, but I was thinking after I take a look at it maybe splitting it 3 ways if it turns out more parts are needed....

Re: And one more added

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:58 pm
by Sneaks
Let me know. I emailed that guy in Webster as well. Maybe an Ossipee trip? I think we are going to check into that brown bay by the mudding road, I figure it has to have some good parts on it, right? I need another VW in the yard:)

Too bad the pickle is down, that would have been a good pic, I would have pulled the three beetles out just for the occasion.

Re: And one more added

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:49 pm
by ajdenette
Whats this some one is looking for a type 4 fi engine :lol: I bought another vanagon engine and my father was teasing me :roll: about how many engines were in the garage (this willmake 6 notin carsin the garage) but hopefully the vanagon will be driving around the yard in the next few weeks :D

Re: And one more added

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 9:00 pm
by DannyK
Nice find, I think I heard Angels singing on the second pic ! :)

Re: And one more added

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:20 pm
by fusername
i have no idea if this is the part you are missing, but whatever it is its on sale at the bus depot
221 883 865A
edit nvm, the bay in webster has the middle seat, clearly you must buy it for the seat brackets.


anyways I emailed them too about that bus! I want dogleg panels, as you know, and you need window rubber. I will see if I can drag bboudy down with me so he can take photos cause I have afeeling its a pile o stuff. Between your projects (still need another windshield?) and lexis, I think we can use a lot off that thing, and a spare trans is always nice to have. And whatever we don't need (read; have 5 of already) we can unload on TOS and at t-fest next month. I doubt the bay itself is worth saving, but maybe the shell can even be sold off for a couple bucks, unless someone falls in love with it...

Re: And one more added

Posted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 11:49 pm
by fusername
also just occured to me, what are you gonna use for primer? I am working as fast as I can to get you that paint. PPG omni, good enough reviews and a shop right next to school here.
oh did i mention its cheap? as far as auto paint goes atleast...

Re: And one more added

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 4:49 am
by Sneaks
Damn, you are firing them off today! Primer, I'm House of Color self-etching, catalyzing primer\sealer (good for under lacquer or enamels). that PPG stuff is single stage? No clear needed?

Re: And one more added

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 7:46 am
by fusername
yeap single stage, simple and cheap, the way i like it. you have any input? I figuer two quarts do the exterior one for the interior? I never was good at that part, took most of a gallon to do my bus, yet i did it w/ half a gal of primer, and over a quart to do the yellow belt. I have a feeling i am doing it wrong.

franz on the other hand has 14 coats with half a gal.

Re: And one more added

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 10:59 am
by Sneaks
fusername wrote:yeap single stage, simple and cheap, the way i like it. you have any input? I figuer two quarts do the exterior one for the interior? I never was good at that part, took most of a gallon to do my bus, yet i did it w/ half a gal of primer, and over a quart to do the yellow belt. I have a feeling i am doing it wrong.

franz on the other hand has 14 coats with half a gal.
Two quarts should be plenty. I did the baja and the bike, about 6 coats each with a half gallon. A quart for the yellow belt? WOW. Umm. Wow.

Let me know what it needs for reducer.

Re: And one more added

Posted: Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:30 pm
by fusername
folks say 3 quart, should I trust this man? I am leaning towards buying 3. how much goes in the interior i have no idea still. 1 I hope casue thats all I am going to buy unless I hear otherwise. a gallon of paint is not gonna be cheap, but that is a lot of car to cover.

edit: the more research i do the more i hear bashing PPG Omni, and then folks saying its good for the price. I think unless i can find valspar at a comparable price I am going to go PPG omni as it doesnt need a catalyst and thas a few bucks saved to buy that extra quart, as a thick paint job can be buffed over and over, right?

of course the paint could still turn out to be expensive enough I can only get 2 quarts anyways. Sneaks, were you originally planning on shooting it with house of kolor? how much did that run and where do you get it?

Re: And one more added

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 5:49 am
by ajdenette
I also used a gallon on my vanagon it was also my first time however I also used a clear coat over it i think I only used half a 2 quart of that.

Re: And one more added

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 6:40 am
by Sneaks
Yeh, and them vanagon thingies are HUGE.

:D

I'd say ok, go for the 3 quarts of purple (I forgot about the roof) and one of green. There isn't much inside that is going to be visible anyway since we are keeping all the wood plus the subfloor and carpet. The only green on the outside will be the wheels. The HoK stuff is EXPENSIVE but I'm not buying it, I'm getting it from a friend who has an extra gallon. If he doesn't come through, I'll use the stuff I used on the baja and the motorcycle, it works pretty well as a filler primer and works with both lacquer and enamels without issues. Oh, and it's like $9 a quart:). Deb is going to continue sanding and stripping tonight (get your mind out of the gutter), I'll help with it for a bit then start the body work like replacing that inner rocker and patching some of the stuff I found once we pulled off the paint. There really isn't much for body rust on it. The rear wheelwells have some holes but nothing extreme. That driver's side back corner is going to be fun as well as I uncovered some crash damage on the driver's side rear quarter. At least they pulled the dent properly but I think they could have smoothed it over without using 3" of bondo. I swear, the guy who did Chrissy's Bay must have been the same person who did this one, they didn't do body work as much as they spackled the damn thing. I can see it the sign now, 'Joe's Autobody, Cake Decorating and Drywall."

Tomorrow or tonight I'm heading down to Portsmouth and picking up a couple of new paint guns, the Pep Boys down there has some HVLP ones for reasonable $$. I'll use my old-school gun for the primer but get the new ones to shoot the color, I figure a regular one for the outside and one of those detail ones for the inside and jams. I need to hit my local marine supply store for more w\d paper and good quality filler. The only stuff I can get around here otherwise is Bondo brand but the marine store has good quality stuff from 3M and other companies. If they are open one of these times you come up, I'll have to take you there, it's like a candy store and the prices are pretty reasonable. Now if they will only open up a TSC in my town...

EDIT: what do you think about swapping over the seats from my white one? They are in much better condition than the black ones in it currently and I'm going to be taking them out and putting in something much more modern anyway. They are lowbacks but no tears, the padding is good and since she is going to eventually recover them, the color isn't really an issue. I promise not to use 1/2" pine and wood screws to mount them.

Re: And one more added

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:48 pm
by fusername
I gave her a link to this ole site, hopefully she will register and pop in soon! I just got the paint setup, gonna go pick it up now and run it your way. price worked out well and i did cget scared of the ppg in the end and whent a different way. also turned out to be cheaper, i swear that didn't influence my decision...

gonna go to arlington tonight and pick up a pile of stuff, what am i forgetting:

my paint gun (old siphon but quality)
air/water seperator/reg
body hammers and dollies
carb
??

Re: And one more added

Posted: Tue Sep 21, 2010 4:19 pm
by Sneaks
sorry I missed the txt, busy guy with a sander and grinder...cutting through all the frosting...err...spackle...ummm...no...that's not it.

BONDO.

One whole door, 1/2" of bondo to cover what?

One.
Tiny.
Ding.

WTF.
Why do they let people do this?

I think you list looks good. I'll see you sometime this week, just pop on up whenever, I'm going to be in the driveway all week.