Page 1 of 1
Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 1:04 pm
by flaircraft
Well, it finally happened... I'm now a member of the Bajas That Don't Run Club. The lower driver's side ball joint on my car broke yesterday morning. Fortunately I was backing out of the driveway at the time, rather than hustling down the freeway. Anyways, now I've got to replace it and am looking for advice on methods. I do happen to have a ball joint press (bought it a couple months ago to do one on my Chevy). Is that the best/quickest way to remove it? Or should I use the heat method? Or something else?
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:10 pm
by BrewmasterDK
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:42 pm
by Big Dave
Ball joints on a vw are tricky. A standard ball joint servicing kit doesn't work well on them. The best way seems seems to be to use a special jig in a shop press. I broke an expensive snapon balljoint servicing kit trying to do mine one time. After that, I just took them to the old guy downtown and paid him 10 bucks a joint or 30 for a set of 4.
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 6:50 pm
by Glenn
You need the right tool.

Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 9:55 pm
by flaircraft
That's what I've got Glenn. Have you used yours to remove VW ball joints before?
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:02 pm
by petew
no no no. you next a gas axe or a plasma cutter.
.....so you can cut the frame head off and weld on a king and linkpin framehead.

Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Thu Apr 15, 2010 10:27 pm
by airdreams1
Ive used the harbor freight version
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=38335 & had no problems doing the job on the car.... Tryed 1 with it off & it wanst as easy..
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Fri Apr 16, 2010 6:54 am
by chad1376
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 1:18 pm
by flaircraft
While I'm replacing the ball joints, are there any upgraded ones that I can buy for offroad use? And I've heard that they come in different diameters, is this true?
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:36 am
by bajahucks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PZLxPyRdAbY
im guessing when he's welding, you could just use a torch instead.
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Fri May 21, 2010 7:39 am
by fl_buggy
The one's I've done so far, uppers aren't the problem. There is plenty of meat to put them in a press and go to town. The lowers are a bitch though because there is no lip around the joint on the arm to grab it in a press. I usually cut the cap off of the backside of the joint, knock the threaded rod out backwards, then press what's left out from the back side.
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 9:24 pm
by flaircraft
Well, I finally managed to get the joint out this weekend... the neighbors haven't been happy with me since the car has been sitting in the driveway, broken, for like 6 weeks now! Since the ball had popped out of the socket (that's how the joint failed), I originally tried to press against the stuff that's inside the ball joint, but of course that just popped out when I put some force on it. So, I had to make a die that would allow my press to do it's job. I was originally going to lathe up a die that resembled a stepped hockey puck, such that the smaller diameter of the die would fit inside the ball joint (to keep the die centered) and the larger diameter would be large enough to press down on the top of the joint but still be smaller than the hole in the control arm so the die could press through the arm. Also I was going to need to make a shallow hole in the top of the die for the press to fit in, to keep the press centered in the die. Fortunately, I was in the Home Depot yesterday and discovered that a 3/4" iron pipe plug was the exact shape I was looking for and for $1.45 I couldn't pass it up... the square nub on the end of the plug (that you would normally put your wrench on to thread the plug into a pipe) fit inside the ball joint perfectly. And, the threaded part of the plug was the exact right diameter to press down on the top of the ball joint and still be small enough to go through the control arm! And, since the threaded part of the plug was hollow, the end of the press fit down inside it to keep it centered in the die.
I did end up having to use my propane torch to heat the control arm to get the joint to press out. My torch is pretty small so I didn't get the arm anywhere near the dull red people have said works best, but the heat did help nonetheless.
Now to try and press a new joint back in... (fingers crossed!!)
Re: Best method for replacing ball joints?
Posted: Fri Jun 04, 2010 10:55 am
by BAJA-IT
Put some anti-seize on the splines of the ball joint when you press the new ones in. It will make it easier to press in, and back out when the time comes to do it again.