2110cc Detailed Build Thread - Now 2276 Super Squish Build
Posted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 5:06 pm
Been wanting to make a build thread for my 2110 for awhile, and would like to show in detail what it takes to build such an engine. I'd like to take the information available about building this type of engine and merge it into my build thread, so that this thread can be used by others to learn mentally about the modifications such as clearancing for a stroker crank, setting the deck hight properly, dialing in the cam, setting up the valve train geometry, and the many other mod's needed to assemble a larger displacement engine correctly, all while visually seeing my engine come together. Pretty much all of the information I've found and will be posting comes from reading forums such as this one, thesamba, and the CLF; also from reading books like How to Hotrod Volkswagen Engines by Bill Fisher and The Step by Step Guide to Engine Blueprinting by Rick Voegelin, and also by talking in detail with local VW engine builders.
So that's the intro, here's the parts I've selected to assemble into what hopefully becomes a potent street engine. My goal is to have a streetable engine that will also hold it's own at the local eighth mile strip. The car it's going into is a full weight '64 sunroof. I still have to pick the exact gear ratio's, but will it will have close 3-4 gears and a 4.12 R&P. Tires will be 165's for the street and around 26" tall 215/65-15 M&H DOT's for the strip. I'd like the engine to make power up to around 6700-7000 rpm, and I think the 4.12 will be better suited to this powerband. My original plans were to use a Web Cam 86b, but I've read that the Engle FK-10 starts making power around 2800 rpm, so it would still have good bottom end power and would make a bit more top end power than the 86b. Also thinking of using one of the FK-40 series cams that have a steeper opening ramp for quicker valve opening. These are said to make very good bottom end power while making power at high rpms.
Now on to the parts list:
New OEM engine case, 8mm case savers, drilled and tapped oil galleys, cut for sand seal, bored for 90.5's,
welded behind #3, clearanced for 82mm stroke, silicon bronze lifter bore sleeves,
and ported main bearing webs between the cylinder openings. Other mods will be highlighted in the build thread.
CB Performance Super Race forged 4340 crank, counterweighted, nitrided VW sized journals.
CB Super Race Rods, 5.4", ARP 2000 3/8 bolts
Mahle Forged 90.5B pistons/cylinders, machined for .005" deck. (what i'm currently working on)
Web Cam 86b camshaft, clearanced and lobes polished, although I may go with a 86c, FK-10, or FK-46 ( again, will have close gears, 4.12 r&p to use higher poewerband)
CB Super Lightweight lifters, faces polished, added oil grooves.
CB Straight cut cam/crank gears. (I like the noise)
Planning on using DRD L6 CNC 42x37.5 heads and DRD CNC match ported CB big beef manifolds.
Italian Weber 48 IDA's, around 40mm vents, tall manifolds, individual UNI filters mounted on velocity stacks.
9.2-9.5 Static CR (if i use 86b cam, higher if i use others listed)
CB .040" copper gaskets.
AirCooled.net HD straight aluminum pushrods
JayCee billet pushrod tubes.
Pauter billet roller rocker arms, 1.5:1
CB/Shadeck Maxi 30 oil pump (May seem big but I'm doing oiling mods so I belive will need the extra volume)
Bugpack DDS style 1.5 qt deep sump.
12# flywheel, 200mm, 6V ring gear (still using a 6V starter).
Hybrid OG 36 horse/late doghouse fanshroud, no heat outlets, all german metal with correct internal vanes, will have all factory cooling tin, welded & balanced wide fan, FI velicity ring, flaps and thermostat, hoover bit, sled tins.
Homemade 1 5/8" heater boxes in OG housings,
1 5/8" A1 Sidewinder header, thinking about dual mufflers so it's quiet.
Still have to plan a breather/crank case ventilation system.
Brad Penn Oil, thinner/thicker weight will be used to adjust the oil pressure to within a proper operating range.
Jeg's Pro-Flo 350 series AN hose/Black fitting for fuel/oil/breather lines.
I'm sure I've left out things but they'll show up once the build gets started.
So there's my plans for the engine and for this thread. Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed and will be greatly appreciated, and please add any relevant information if you see that I've left anything out!
(edited to update the title name)
So that's the intro, here's the parts I've selected to assemble into what hopefully becomes a potent street engine. My goal is to have a streetable engine that will also hold it's own at the local eighth mile strip. The car it's going into is a full weight '64 sunroof. I still have to pick the exact gear ratio's, but will it will have close 3-4 gears and a 4.12 R&P. Tires will be 165's for the street and around 26" tall 215/65-15 M&H DOT's for the strip. I'd like the engine to make power up to around 6700-7000 rpm, and I think the 4.12 will be better suited to this powerband. My original plans were to use a Web Cam 86b, but I've read that the Engle FK-10 starts making power around 2800 rpm, so it would still have good bottom end power and would make a bit more top end power than the 86b. Also thinking of using one of the FK-40 series cams that have a steeper opening ramp for quicker valve opening. These are said to make very good bottom end power while making power at high rpms.
Now on to the parts list:
New OEM engine case, 8mm case savers, drilled and tapped oil galleys, cut for sand seal, bored for 90.5's,
welded behind #3, clearanced for 82mm stroke, silicon bronze lifter bore sleeves,
and ported main bearing webs between the cylinder openings. Other mods will be highlighted in the build thread.
CB Performance Super Race forged 4340 crank, counterweighted, nitrided VW sized journals.
CB Super Race Rods, 5.4", ARP 2000 3/8 bolts
Mahle Forged 90.5B pistons/cylinders, machined for .005" deck. (what i'm currently working on)
Web Cam 86b camshaft, clearanced and lobes polished, although I may go with a 86c, FK-10, or FK-46 ( again, will have close gears, 4.12 r&p to use higher poewerband)
CB Super Lightweight lifters, faces polished, added oil grooves.
CB Straight cut cam/crank gears. (I like the noise)
Planning on using DRD L6 CNC 42x37.5 heads and DRD CNC match ported CB big beef manifolds.
Italian Weber 48 IDA's, around 40mm vents, tall manifolds, individual UNI filters mounted on velocity stacks.
9.2-9.5 Static CR (if i use 86b cam, higher if i use others listed)
CB .040" copper gaskets.
AirCooled.net HD straight aluminum pushrods
JayCee billet pushrod tubes.
Pauter billet roller rocker arms, 1.5:1
CB/Shadeck Maxi 30 oil pump (May seem big but I'm doing oiling mods so I belive will need the extra volume)
Bugpack DDS style 1.5 qt deep sump.
12# flywheel, 200mm, 6V ring gear (still using a 6V starter).
Hybrid OG 36 horse/late doghouse fanshroud, no heat outlets, all german metal with correct internal vanes, will have all factory cooling tin, welded & balanced wide fan, FI velicity ring, flaps and thermostat, hoover bit, sled tins.
Homemade 1 5/8" heater boxes in OG housings,
1 5/8" A1 Sidewinder header, thinking about dual mufflers so it's quiet.
Still have to plan a breather/crank case ventilation system.
Brad Penn Oil, thinner/thicker weight will be used to adjust the oil pressure to within a proper operating range.
Jeg's Pro-Flo 350 series AN hose/Black fitting for fuel/oil/breather lines.
I'm sure I've left out things but they'll show up once the build gets started.
So there's my plans for the engine and for this thread. Any ideas and suggestions are welcomed and will be greatly appreciated, and please add any relevant information if you see that I've left anything out!
(edited to update the title name)


















