Page 1 of 1
New Distributor, Mallory or Pertronix!!??
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 5:27 am
by Beezerbob
All Advice welcome , Mallory has 22 der. of advance , Pertronix has 27. Points in Mallory , Electronic in Pertronix. Mallory is adjustable , dont know about Pertronix. THANKS

Re: New Distributor, Mallory or Pertronix!!??
Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 11:54 pm
by wildthings
You want something that can be set to give about the same advance curve as the original distributor. Extra advance will do you no good. It could be argued that you want even less advance than stock so you can up your initial a little.
Re: New Distributor, Mallory or Pertronix!!??
Posted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:16 pm
by redrum71
ha ha ha.... First post here, but I thought i'd chime in. I can't speak about the mallory unit, as i'ved never used one however, I have a billet pertonix in my bug that I love!!! that's what i'll be puting in the bay when I get it on the road!!
Re: New Distributor, Mallory or Pertronix!!??
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 8:15 am
by NathanScruggs
4 months since original post, but...
There are quite a few options for mallory dizzys. I've got their unilite mechanical advance in my 72 Type 4 powered bus. From what I've read the quality control of the mallorys has come down since they're made offshore now.
It largely depends on what motor you have. From my research with the type 4 engine, not many distributors have a slow enough advance. The 2 I found were the Mallory unilite (this is optical, not points), using both the grey springs, 12 degrees at idle, 28 fully advanced, or a bosch 050, which are impossible to find it seems. -These are both fully mechanical, and I've wondered if it might be better to use at least a partial vacuum advance in a bus for improved drive-ability?
The pertronix you mention seems closest to that, though what you'll want to know is not just how much full advance is, but at what rpm you get that. -@ about 3000 or 3200 would be optimal I'd say.
Re: New Distributor, Mallory or Pertronix!!??
Posted: Thu Mar 11, 2010 4:30 pm
by busman78
I have two Mallory 23's, one of them was a Unilite till I got fed up with blowing modules and had it converted to points. Both have 18* of advance, you can change the springs to give the curve you desire and adjust the total advance you want. My idle advance is 10* with a total of 28*.